Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

threein99 wrote: »
    Haha I hate that waking up and having no idea what time it is, do aldi do sun dials?

I love your optimism!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Hey, this is my first time going and I'll probably be going alone so thinking of going to the quiet campsite, just wondering how quiet it actually is and is drinking and that permitted in it or is all that stuff not allowed? Cheers!

as someone said, you can drink your own booze in the campsite (no glass bottles). There are searches on entry into the main arena but lots of people try their luck with the odd can, I had a success rate of about 60% last year:)

One good thing is once the bars have closed (around 10 or 10:30pm) you can bring in your own cans into the arena. There is a limit per person on how much you can bring in but that's so barely enforced it's farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 IntoYourSister

One good thing is once the bars have closed (around 10 or 10:30pm) you can bring in your own cans into the arena. There is a limit per person on how much you can bring in but that's so barely enforced it's farcical.

I hope this is still true. I heard from a few different people that they changed this rule at Body & Soul this year and loads of people were stopped bringing in booze after bars were closed. I'll be really pissed off if they change this rule, it basically means no more booze after 10:30pm, are they trying to force people to take drugs or what!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I hope this is still true. I heard from a few different people that they changed this rule at Body & Soul this year and loads of people were stopped bringing in booze after bars were closed. I'll be really pissed off if they change this rule, it basically means no more booze after 10:30pm, are they trying to force people to take drugs or what!!

As in stopped going into body n soul??ive never ever seen that to b honest?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭dendof

Rfrip wrote: »
    As in stopped going into body n soul??ive never ever seen that to b honest?
    I imagine he's talking about the Body & Soul festival few weeks ago. I was there, that rule was an absolute farce. They got a lot of stick for changing it. I'd say they'll change it back for next year!

• Advertisement

dendof wrote: »
    I imagine he's talking about the Body & Soul festival few weeks ago. I was there, that rule was an absolute farce. They got a lot of stick for changing it. I'd say they'll change it back for next year!

Sorry just re read that and that's totally what he meant....il just blame the heat if that's ok!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I don't think the past 10.30pm rule was ever official and definitely something that only appeared in recent years. Considering the inconsistency I saw across the board with regards security procedures I wouldn't be surprised if this was a rumour that grew legs and became unofficial procedure amongst a set of security (less work and hassle for them).

Quite possible with B&S fest seemingly having their alcohol policy being dictated to them by drinkaware/Gardai got an official "no" from them re: this. No telling if it will be the same at EP but there has never been anything to point to to say that they are meant to allow you in with drink after 10.30 so you'll have no comeback if it is implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

drinkaware are in no position to be dictating policy to anyone. the B&S rules were quite clearly to protect sponsors and vendors, as they were also stopping people bringing water and tea into the main arena. not only that but they did not allow any beverages of any kind into the campsites or main arena on the Sunday, I wasn't allowed bring 2 2L bottles of soft drinks into the campsite on the Sunday around midday.

as for bringing in alcohol after the bars closed, we had alcohol taken off us at about 1am on the Friday night/Sat morning going into the main arena from the campsite as it wasn't allowed apparently. we could bring it in after 10pm on the Saturday and Sunday nights from what i remember.

thankfully EP isn't run by the same crowd running B&S festival, so hopefully none of those issues will affect EP, let alone the other ridiculous alcohol limits at B&S, and not being allowed to bring in any alcohol after your first admittance....

given the abuse online before B&S, and lots of angry people at the gates and entrances down there, I would imagine that EP would keep the alcohol rules and unofficial procedures the same as in previous years which works absolutely fine....

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭denisstack

Toast wrote: »
    I don't think the past 10.30pm rule was ever official and definitely something that only appeared in recent years. Considering the inconsistency I saw across the board with regards security procedures I wouldn't be surprised if this was a rumour that grew legs and became unofficial procedure amongst a set of security (less work and hassle for them).

Quite possible with B&S fest seemingly having their alcohol policy being dictated to them by drinkaware/Gardai got an official "no" from them re: this. No telling if it will be the same at EP but there has never been anything to point to to say that they are meant to allow you in with drink after 10.30 so you'll have no comeback if it is implemented.

I'm pretty sure it was an official thing at EP, at least the last couple of years. You're allowed to bring in up to 4 cans each after 11pm. Haven't time to try to dig out where exactly I saw this but I think it was official.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Just signed up for Tour De Picnic so I will be attending this year after all (providing I make it there in one piece after the cycle)! :D

I had planned to lose my festival virginity to Indiependence and, though the line-up there is pretty awesome for the price, I was swayed by EP.

I'm assuming all the big name acts have been named now, right, and that any further announcements will just be to buff out the mid & lower end of the line up? That's probably been asked to death in here, so I apologise if it's recently been answered. :P

Also, anyone recommend any spots that a first timer could miss out on that ye recommend I should try and check out? I've heard talk of all these different areas and stages that you guys all seem to love, but I haven't a clue what most of them are like. I don't want to spend all day hanging around the main stage like, that sounds like no fun. :P

• Advertisement

drinkaware are in no position to be dictating policy to anyone.

They aren't but they were who the promoters of B&S credited with proposing the drink limits pre-festival. That they chose to implement them was no doubt more influenced by the pay off from the various drink sponsors (please drinkaware when in the campsite, please drinkawarehouse of Heineken when in the arena.)

The no liquids at all into the campsite is pretty shocking I have to say. I hope someone got some tasty youtube footage of that to bomb their social media efforts next year until such time as they address it.
    denisstack wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it was an official thing at EP, at least the last couple of years. You're allowed to bring in up to 4 cans each after 11pm.

I'd really be surprised if they put it in print. I'm sure it is "official" in the sense it was happening and the security were implementing it, it might even have come down from someone near the top as a policy but I doubt they'd have tied their hands with an actual hard rule. Let me know if you do find it though. Handy to know where these things are in case you do need to point to them (not that being right ever helps with getting your way with security guards).

Just signed up for Tour De Picnic so I will be attending this year after all (providing I make it there in one piece after the cycle)! :D

I had planned to lose my festival virginity to Indiependence and, though the line-up there is pretty awesome for the price, I was swayed by EP.

I'm assuming all the big name acts have been named now, right, and that any further announcements will just be to buff out the mid & lower end of the line up? That's probably been asked to death in here, so I apologise if it's recently been answered. :P

Also, anyone recommend any spots that a first timer could miss out on that ye recommend I should try and check out? I've heard talk of all these different areas and stages that you guys all seem to love, but I haven't a clue what most of them are like. I don't want to spend all day hanging around the main stage like, that sounds like no fun. :P

If you are hungover head to body and soul, big chillout area in the center.

After 11pm if there is nothing on the main stages you wanna see head to salty dog. You should pass it on your way to the campsite (if not ask anyone you see and they'll direct you)

Trenchtown is near salty dog and goes till 4am or so for all your drum and bass needs

For food look for Pieminister or the ostrich burger place. Both should have a few stalls dotted around the main arena.

There is a really cool place near the bottom right when you look at the map with loads of craft stalls (slate carving, brass sculpting etc)

apart from that midfields (just behind main stage) has loads of cool stuff, science gallery, poetry and book reading, irish tent, hotpress etc)

All these places are all completly different so its cool being able to walk around them all and have some great tunes playing in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

danniemcq wrote: »
    If you are hungover head to body and soul, big chillout area in the center.

After 11pm if there is nothing on the main stages you wanna see head to salty dog. You should pass it on your way to the campsite (if not ask anyone you see and they'll direct you)

Trenchtown is near salty dog and goes till 4am or so for all your drum and bass needs

For food look for Pieminister or the ostrich burger place. Both should have a few stalls dotted around the main arena.

There is a really cool place near the bottom right when you look at the map with loads of craft stalls (slate carving, brass sculpting etc)

apart from that midfields (just behind main stage) has loads of cool stuff, science gallery, poetry and book reading, irish tent, hotpress etc)

All these places are all completly different so its cool being able to walk around them all and have some great tunes playing in the background.

It all sounds awesome! Thank you.. :)

I can't wait now!!

It all sounds awesome! Thank you.. :)

I can't wait now!!

There's nothing like your first time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭denisstack

I'd really be surprised if they put it in print. I'm sure it is "official" in the sense it was happening and the security were implementing it, it might even have come down from someone near the top as a policy but I doubt they'd have tied their hands with an actual hard rule. Let me know if you do find it though. Handy to know where these things are in case you do need to point to them (not that being right ever helps with getting your way with security guards).

I think it was on the official site in the FAQs or somewhere last year. Had a quick look and this article also references it:
    http://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/electric-picnic-2012/

Let's see if it's on it when they update the site closer to the event, hopefully they keep the same relaxed attitude anyway regardless of whether it's official or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'm pretty sure i remember them saying on facebook that you were allowed to bring in drink after the bars closed, or at least confirming it when someone asked if that was the case...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

threein99 wrote: »
    Haha I hate that waking up and having no idea what time it is, do aldi do sun dials?

One time on the first day of the fest Ioke up at 3am one time in my tent thinking it was 3pm later that day... I scanned through the schedule and was raging i missed loads of stuff, then I opened the tent and realised it was 3 friggin am!

I was a little bit all over the place on that first day :pac::confused::pac::o:rolleyes:

As for monies I'd probably budget 50 quid a day and spend more or less at any given day but bring a decent amount of stuff with you and on that budget you could live very comfortable

I've had pre-festival nightmares in which I wake up on the final day having been unconscious for one or more others. Actually last night I had a nightmare where it took me 4 hours to queue to get into a festival. I think I need to take a rest from festivals.

I've had pre-festival nightmares in which I wake up on the final day having been unconscious for one or more others. Actually last night I had a nightmare where it took me 4 hours to queue to get into a festival. I think I need to take a rest from festivals.

Or take a break from sleeping and go to more festivals

-=al=- wrote: »
    One time on the first day of the fest Ioke up at 3am one time in my tent thinking it was 3pm later that day... I scanned through the schedule and was raging i missed loads of stuff, then I opened the tent and realised it was 3 friggin am!

I was a little bit all over the place on that first day :pac::confused::pac::o:rolleyes:

As for monies I'd probably budget 50 quid a day and spend more or less at any given day but bring a decent amount of stuff with you and on that budget you could live very comfortable

that's hilarious!
    So many things wrong with the above,
    1. What were you doing in bed on the first night at 3am?
    2. How on earth did you think it was daylight in a tent at 3am?
    3. What drugs were you on and how do I get them? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Unfortunately I can say that I have slept through before!

Back in 2007 I went with a friend and travelled up Friday as normal. I'd come off the guts of a 65 hour week but with all of the EP excitement we ended up staying up most of Friday night until dawn. Cue a few hours kip and back out for the day.

Round about 6pm we were shattered so came back to the tent (right by main arena) and said we'd grab a power nap for 2 hours and get up fresh for the Chemical Brothers (one of the acts we were most looking forward too). Set the alarm for 8 and off to sleep we went.

Woke up feeling fresh but it was oddly quiet around, v. little noise. My buddy woke up pretty much when I did and we just looked at each other wondering why it was so quiet. Poked the head out and saw it was a beautiful Sunday morning and realised we'd just slept straight through the night and not one of us woke.

I had ended up setting my alarm for 8am instead of 8pm and instead had managed a solid 14 hour sleep!- Disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Went into Tesco Naas at the weekend to have a look at their tents, have found Tesco tents to be cheap and reliable in previous years. Looked at a 4-man tunnel tent, €115. Went on to Tesco Direct (Uk site) and ordered the exact same tent for £45. Jokeshop!

Getting very excited now, hope the upcoming announcements aren't going to be as useless as the rumours suggest but I'm happy enough with the line up. Be brilliant if this weather holds on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Argos have a sale on their tents at the moment I think and halfords are usually quite good.

Went last year last minute and we picked up a 6 man tent for about €100

tmc86 wrote: »

Back in 2007 I went with a friend and travelled up Friday as normal. I'd come off the guts of a 65 hour week but with all of the EP excitement we ended up staying up most of Friday night until dawn. Cue a few hours kip and back out for the day.

Round about 6pm we were shattered so came back to the tent (right by main arena) and said we'd grab a power nap for 2 hours and get up fresh for the Chemical Brothers (one of the acts we were most looking forward too). Set the alarm for 8 and off to sleep we went.

Woke up feeling fresh but it was oddly quiet around, v. little noise. My buddy woke up pretty much when I did and we just looked at each other wondering why it was so quiet. Poked the head out and saw it was a beautiful Sunday morning and realised we'd just slept straight through the night and not one of us woke.

I had ended up setting my alarm for 8am instead of 8pm and instead had managed a solid 14 hour sleep!- Disaster!

Oh my heart ached for you a little there,if it's any consolilation I was so looking forward to Chemical brothers too and wasn't at all impressed. (IMO)

Thats horrible, a mate of mine missed Rage Against the Machine when they played oxegen a few years back and i must admit there was a year where i thought a powernap would be a good idea, set the alarm to go off right but nope slept through it all and woke up in the morning, didn't miss anything though that i wanted to see, just wanted to be ready for a 2am walk about to see what the craic was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

My advice to any first timers is don't be a hero and try stay up all the way through. Get some sleep. At some point.
    It'll stand to you.
    I've made the mistake of tryna stay awake the whole time, with some help from this that and the other. You just feel awful by ssaturday night.

Day time is best for sleep. Lot quieter I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Missed Interpol at EP 2 years ago cuz of a damn powernap, those things are the devil.

total disaster alright.
    How anyone can sleep solid for 14 hours is beyond me, even if I was in my own bed at home with angels playing the harp all around me I'd still never manage that...so how you did it in a tent at EP is some feat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

that's hilarious!
    So many things wrong with the above,
    1. What were you doing in bed on the first night at 3am?
    2. How on earth did you think it was daylight in a tent at 3am?
    3. What drugs were you on and how do I get them? :D

The emoticons said enough! and as for the light for some reason the floodlight pointing at the tent was good enough to be as shiny as a star in my mind at the time

I was just wrecked from a busy week before the festival and it all caught up on me but I didn't miss too much really so was all good in the end

I usually get a good kip with some earplugs, earmuffs and eye mask on and usually venture out from the tent in the afternoon... Sleeps pretty important at festivals to make the most of it... Ya can't do everything and some downtime is nice before you get back up on that festival horse of fun

Advertisement