Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold in apartment

Options
  • 09-09-2012 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I recently moved into a 3 bed apartment.I am renting the room with ensuite and there is no problem with mould in it. I never looked at the main bathroom while looking at the apartment but a few days after moving in i discovered the main bathroom is destroyed in mould!there is no window in it. The people using that bathroom dont seem to realise the problem.I mentioned it to the landlord and he said he would look at it but i dont think he will. Am i over reacting or does this need to be sorted as it can be dangerous for peoples health? Is the landlord obliged to get rid of it? (pic attatched):(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

Spray bleach on it and it will kill it.
    Then make sure the extractor fan is not clogged up. If it is clean it.

Leave the extractor fan running for an hour or 2 after a shower or bath and dont dry clothes in the bathroom and it wont come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Spray bleach on it and it will kill it.
    Then make sure the extractor fan is not clogged up. If it is clean it.

Leave the extractor fan running for an hour or 2 after a shower or bath and dont dry clothes in the bathroom and it wont come back.

Bleach won't get rid of it for long. it always tends to come back, I tried it before.

The best thing is, remind your landlord in a gentle way, that mould is a health hazard and has to be removed properly. It should not cost a fortune anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

You can buy bleach with mould killer in it for about a fiver. Just work it into your cleaning schedule.. spray the wall every month or whenever it grows back. You can also buy polyfill mould killer which you apply to the wall, then paint over it.

Leave the bathroom door open when it's not in use and if there's an extractor fan leave it on. Don't leave damp towels in the bathroom and consider drying around the shower with a towel after use.

So basically.. keep the room dry and warm and mould shouldn't be a problem. It might be an idea to use an old-fashioned lightbulb instead of an energy saving one. I know someone with a 200watt bulb and they don't have a problem with mould!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dawoud

seriously guys, this is not the correct way to threat such molded areas, the picture attached clearly shows how the mold has already spread, the bleach will make it look "pretty" again, but this there is what is black mold and is highly hazardous.

Taken from Wikipedia "Depending on the length of exposure and volume of spores inhaled or ingested, symptoms can manifest as chronic fatigue or headaches, fever, irritation to the eyes, mucous membranes of the mouth, nose and throat, sneezing, rashes, and chronic coughing. In severe cases of exposure or cases exacerbated by allergic reaction, symptoms can be extreme including nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nos"

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Ehh.... 90% of the time mould is black mold and bar a buildng defect in bathrooms it is normally due to excess condensation. As others have said get the Mould Killer spray or a bit of diluted bleech in water. I had mould in a bathroom due to fitting a power shower and despite having a fan which stay on for two minutes after the light if off it still developed as I have a very hot shower so lots of steam, my place is correctly insulated also.

In my case I cleaned of the cleaned it off with a bleach and water solution and then once again once it was dry and I now leave the door open after a shower as others have recommende. No mould since. At the end of the day damp enviroment = mould so either put in more heat or more ventalation to dry it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 johnmolon

nadalr wrote: »
    I recently moved into a 3 bed apartment.I am renting the room with ensuite and there is no problem with mould in it. I never looked at the main bathroom while looking at the apartment but a few days after moving in i discovered the main bathroom is destroyed in mould!there is no window in it. The people using that bathroom dont seem to realise the problem.I mentioned it to the landlord and he said he would look at it but i dont think he will. Am i over reacting or does this need to be sorted as it can be dangerous for peoples health? Is the landlord obliged to get rid of it? (pic attatched):(

to ensure this problem is solved the ceiling should be insulated with an insulated plasterboard slab and plastered. the extractor fan looks old and most fans standard 4" fans are worth a ****e. The fact there is no window there there shoud be a high power 6" extractor fan with timer and humidity control on it. yes the landlord has to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

nadalr wrote: »

It is a health hazard particularly for anyone with respiratory problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mold_health_issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I have an apartment which had some damp issues; mould, condensation, etc.

I bought one of these dehumidifiers around 18 months ago, and it solved all the issues.

http://www.meaco.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DD8L

I leave it running all the time, in the hall, on low setting (there's low, high & auto) and the difference it makes to the living environment is amazing. The apartment is more comfortable, warmer in winter, cooler in summer, clothes dry quickly, no condensation, etc. And all these improvements for less than €200. While it is running all the time, and therefore there is increased electricity use, the cost is negligible, and in any case, offset by the improvements listed above.

I couldn't recommend this product more.

Advertisement