Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bank To Go With In Calgary

Options
  • 09-09-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I plan on opening a bank account in Calgary tomorrow or Tuesday. Can anyone advise the best bank to go with?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

Aquila wrote: »
    I guess it depends what services you require?I take you want current account with a debit card?

Just regular use. Debit card and atm use. I'll be getting paid weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

There's no big difference between the banks. Pick whichever one is closest for you to get to. The banks do charge fees to use ATMs and ATMs belonging to other banks. These can add up over the course of the month. They charge you on both sides - so the ATM charges you and your bank charges you again. That's why you want your own bank's ATM close by.

Also - all of Canada's banks are national - so there's no specific banks to calgary.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

I thinking about going with ING chequing when I get there, still researching but seems to be the one with the least amount of fees.

http://www.ingdirect.ca/en/chequing/index.html

Looking for more advice on banking if anyone has it! Leaving on Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

leggit wrote: »

Looking for more advice on banking if anyone has it! Leaving on Friday!

what more advice would you like? seb 65 has told you the main details. There isnt a big difference between the banks. Getting one close to where you live is very useful. Also the packages vary depending on your useage. Dont just go for the cheapest as they generally only include 10 transactions a month which you will use quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

for ING how do you actually deposit the cheque? remember 80% of companies pay by cheque. Also with all the other banks you get a debit card instantly ING you would have to wait on it in the mail. If at the atm to deposit they will hold it until they verify the cheque a few days later for a while until you establish a credit history. Also check the abm locator they only have 15 abms in all of calgary that could be a pain.

I'm with td and I find them great but I work for them now so get staff rates but was with them before I was staff and still liked them. Got a visa from them aswell without much issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

I don't know much about ING - I don't think it's even Canadian (American?) not long-established in Canada anyways.

Personally, I'd stay away from it as it's not going to be as convenient as the usual bricks and mortar banks. You can say you'll plan ahead to go to one of its ABM's, but the working day in Canada can be long indeed. Also, some other banks have branches open on Saturdays.

If you want to skip fees you can always go with PC:

http://www.pcfinancial.ca

It was a supermarket that has now branched into banking as well - and it seems to let you use CIBC ABMs free of charge too.

However, for me, regular banks are preferred - even though CIBC caught me out for $40+ in fees this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

If anyone is still looking, I just went with scotiabank last week. They have a program for people new to canada. free banking for the 1st 12 months on a scotia one account, which is normally $12.99/month I think. Unlimited transactions, and they're pretty big so usually able to find a scotia machine if you're on top of it.

They also said I'll get a credit card once I get a letter saying I'm employed. Handy for online stuff and some other things that can't/won't take debit or cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement