Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying and Preparing A Full Salmon

Options
  • 09-09-2012 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi. I see Dunnes are selling full salmon for €12.80. I'm just wondering what kind of work would have to go into it? Are they usually gutted and scaled? And how many cutlets/fillets could I expect to get from it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

They will definitely be gutted, unlikely scaled. If I buy a full salmon I ask for it to be filleted lengthwise, then I skin it myself and pull out all the bones and then cut in darnes and freeze, would get about 10 or so out of average size salmon with a few scraps for a sandwich, cook's treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

That's great. I've fallen in love with salmon, but my student budget doesn't always allow it. And I like the whole idea of working with it myself (as long as it's not too gooey). Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If you have a local fishmonger, check them out too. They can often give you better fish and service.

In Ashbourne I got a massive whole salmon for a tenner. The supermarkets were nearly twice as much for smaller salmon.

I also happened to be one of the first customers there, and got the biggest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Hi. I see Dunnes are selling full salmon for €12.80. I'm just wondering what kind of work would have to go into it? Are they usually gutted and scaled? And how many cutlets/fillets could I expect to get from it. Thanks.
    Most fish will have two fillets in my experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Most fish will have two fillets in my experience.

I think they meant portions.
    :pac:

From a medium sized salmon you'd get 8-10 good sized portions op, depending on how greedy ya are :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement