Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The GAA is holding Ireland back on the international stage

• 09-09-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Anyone else think that the parochial nature of Gaelic games is hold Ireland back in its ability to compete on the international stage in sport?

The pinical of Hurling is on today the All Ireland Final. But, no more than a domestic cup final. There is no outlet for GAA athletes to compete on the world stage. (Bar the odd game of Shinti)

I think an Ireland without the GAA would be competing for Soccer Euros and World Cups, challenging for and winning Rugby World Cups. Our Athletes in the Olympics would be bring home a medel haul like their compratiates in the Paralympics.

What do fellow Boardsies think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Didn't we have one of these threads a week or two back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

AlfaZen wrote: »
    Not this nonsense again!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

its 75 euro a ticket for that game today with 80 thousand people at it, and the players dont get a penny! i think thats disgraceful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Anyone else think that the parochial nature of Gaelic games is hold Ireland back in its ability to compete on the international stage in sport?

The pinical of Hurling is on today the All Ireland Final. But, no more than a domestic cup final. There is no outlet for GAA athletes to compete on the world stage. (Bar the odd game of Shinti)

I think an Ireland without the GAA would be competing for Soccer Euros and World Cups, challenging for and winning Rugby World Cups. Our Athletes in the Olympics would be bring home a medel haul like their compratiates in the Paralympics.

What do fellow Boardsies think?[/QUOTE]

Think you should switch on RTE 2 and watch the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Pea 9

I couldnt disagree more. The nations that compete at high levels in football, athletics, etc all have very professional and competitive under age structures. Without the Gaa ireland would not have anywhere near as many quality athletes. It is imo the most highly copetitive, easily accessable and important sporting structure in the country. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

This nonsense comes up time and time again on Boards. GAA athletes take part in the games knowing full well where the pinnacle of the sport is. There is nothing to stop them taking part in other sports if they so wish. Just ask Kevin Moran and Niall Quinn. The government should provide better facilities and funding for Olympic sports but to blame Ireland's 'lack of success' (which is another point that can be challenged) on the GAA is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

realies wrote: »

What do fellow Boardsies think?[/QUOTE]

I am watching it. Good start from Galway, Killkenny with a lot of wides.

Think you should switch on RTE 2 and watch the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Regardless of whether your hypothesis is true or not OP (and I doubt it is), people have a right to play whatever sport they want.

I don't think that international success in sports is very important. I'd place more importance on people being fit and healthy and having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

I for one think the opposite.... Our local team was always losing good players to foreign sports, none of them ever made it always thought they were too good for gaelic and just got a big head

The lads love playing for their county and most of them all have comfortable jobs and not short of few euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Been done before was a dumb thread then and its still a dumb thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Didn't we have one of these threads a week or two back?

Indeed:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80138339

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement