Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC - First Build

Options
  • 09-09-2012 4:16pm

Hi folks, after much deliberation I've decided to take the plunge and build my own PC. I've outlined in as much detail as I can what I need from the standard template.

If anything else is needed, let me know.

Thanks!

1. What is your budget? [€1,500 - can stretch further if needed]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/HTPC/Internet] FPS(In the Half-life, bio-shock vein)/RPG (old and new - Think Elderscrolls)/emulation.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [24"]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [When I have settled on everything]

Additional: SSD of 256GB for OS and games. Regular HDDs for storage. Happy with a tower, though I'd like it as quiet as possible. I know it's a big ask for a gaming PC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

If you could settle for a slightly smaller screen you could get the dell u2312hm instead and save approx 70 euro. It's meant to be better for gaming as it has lower input lag apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The reviews of the U2412M were nearly all done earlier than the U2312HM, it's quite likely that it's been revised as I'd say they're cut from very similar cloth.

Thanks guys for the help so far. Do you have any suggestions on mice/keyboards?

Imo the best gaming mouse is the razer deathadder.

Keyboard... get a mechanical one if you don't mind spending a bit more. Maybe a razer blackwidow to match the mouse? :D It is noisy though as it uses cherry mx blue switches. Red/black/brown are the other switches which are quieter.

• Advertisement

Don't buy keyboards from that website anyway as it will be the wrong layout. Maybe amazon.co.uk for the free delivery. Or komplett.ie

Monotype wrote: »
    Don't buy keyboards from that website anyway as it will be the wrong layout. Maybe amazon.co.uk for the free delivery. Or komplett.ie

Yeah you got to watch out for that but some german sites do sell UK layout keyboards. I got mine from caseking.de and it isn't german :)

Thanks for the contributions guys. Will order this evening and let you know how I get on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Thanks for the contributions guys. Will order this evening and let you know how I get on :D

Some of those Items are out of stock...
    Check before you order..
    Thats going to be a nice rig:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

Throw in one of these to save you a Arragh! moment.

• Advertisement

Yep. Very good idea. I just left the card reader in there from someone's earlier build as it's handy but didn't actually do much thinking about it!

Right - I've just placed an order but hardwareversand requires a bank transfer as fair as I can tell. This isnt a problem, but do I need to wait for them to send me the account details? I havent received a confirmation email yet.

It will come any minute now.. in the meantime you can check the details sooner if you go to order history on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭pcadvice

i received an email very quickly from them today but as spix says you can see the details in your order

Ordered cancelled due to customs threshold :/

They don't ship to my location unfortunately. Feck, will have to check locally. At least I have the build now.

Ok, so I got everything and spent the better part of yesterday assembling.

I went to fire it up. Problem:

I turns on and after about 5 seconds it reboots. It does this continuously until I kill the power at the PSU.

What are the most common pitfalls when building a PC for the first time? Does this issue ring any bells for anyone?

I'm loathe to think I've dropped 1500 quid for nothing :/

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

Ok, so I got everything and spent the better part of yesterday assembling.

I went to fire it up. Problem:

I turns on and after about 5 seconds it reboots. It does this continuously until I kill the power at the PSU.

What are the most common pitfalls when building a PC for the first time? Does this issue ring any bells for anyone?

I'm loathe to think I've dropped 1500 quid for nothing :/

check all cables
    check all parts did you put them properly
    is there any sound when you turn in on, do you have piezo speaker to test it
    clear cmos
    try it again

All parts/cables are secured. It doesnt give me a beep when booting up. Just cyclical rebooting.

My niggling concern is the CPU, but I followed a ton of instructions so cant see how it could be that.

Thanks.

can you name the part you bought

Theyre listed up above in my opening post.

• Advertisement

try with things ive told you...
    try to detach dvd drive...
    or hdd...

It's very hard to say what could be causing a rebooting like that. Best to eliminate everything else. Disconnect everything unnecessary as Erper said. Your graphics card too. Leave just the RAM and CPU (and power supply).

Have tried the above with the same result.

Tried either stick of ram in multiple slots, disconnected the hard drives and graphics card. No DVD drive connected.

Im an idiot.

RAM wasnt seated properly. I took it apart and noticed it sticking up a bit. I gave it an unmerciful shove and it's now at least booting up.

Im an idiot.

RAM wasnt seated properly. I took it apart and noticed it sticking up a bit. I gave it an unmerciful shove and it's now at least booting up.

there you go...;)

Advertisement