Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY aluminium casting

• 09-09-2012 5:03pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever done this before, I got these windshield brackets for my boat and they are not cheep to buy so I would like to try and copy them just incase I build another boat :D I remember as a young lad making "Prince August" soldiers and a cannon in a rubber mould " I can actually smell it now":D and think this might be a good way to make a mould as it would give a better finish than sand and could be reused.
    Any ideas welcome cheers.

2011-06-29150518.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Use casting silicone to make the mould.
    Make a wooden box and position the part in the position that you want.
    The part has to be supported in a manner that will allow complete submersion in the silicone.
    This is probably best done by wires that hang it and also allow the air to vent from the lower parts.
    Your biggest problem will be finding good alloy to cast with.
    Once you cast the part and the silicone has hardened then you need to cut the silicone around the part so you can remove it. You need a very sharp knife and cut carefully so the join is not too ragged.
    Put the rubber back in the box and pour the alloy.
    You'll probably find that you need a few goes to get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Well you'll certainly not be able to use rubber moulds, aluminium has a melting point of 660 degrees celsius. You'll need a suitable heat source and a crucible and tongs.
    You'd have to make a mould out of casting sand (a special type of fine sand) and that's a skill in itself. You wont get it right the first time, or the 5th time for that matter.
    Once you get an acceptable cast you'll then spend ages grinding and polishing to get any way near that sort of finish in your photo.

In essence unless you're planning on making a lot of these, the time, expense and frustration won't be worth it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Well you'll certainly not be able to use rubber moulds, aluminium has a melting point of 660 degrees celsius. You'll need a suitable heat source and a crucible and tongs.
    You'd have to make a mould out of casting sand (a special type of fine sand) and that's a skill in itself. You wont get it right the first time, or the 5th time for that matter.
    Once you get an acceptable cast you'll then spend ages grinding and polishing to get any way near that sort of finish in your photo.

In essence unless you're planning on making a lot of these, the time, expense and frustration won't be worth it imo.

+1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Cheers guys, and here's me after buying 4000 cans of Bulmers to melt down what a waste :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I have fond memories of Prince August casting myself, but the lead/ tin casting metal is not comparable to aluminium alloy. I did some foundry experience way back in my college days and as the previous poster pointed out it's not really viable for DIY. Making the sand moulds for anything other than simple shapes is tricky enough and the sand casting does leave a rough enough finish (not to mention the flash where the two mould halves meet) so you could expect to spend a lot of time with files and buffing wheel to get anything like the finish you want. I'd imagine those parts are die cast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yep I think I will give it a miss, anyway the wife will only let me play with things below 500 degrees till I grow up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Do you know a metalwork teacher? Some of the schools have casting facilities.

If you can sort out the mould, there are a few companies that do aluminium casting, you could prob bring your moulds along and they'd fill them. There's Douglas foundary in Waterford, there's a place in Enniscorthy doing chairs, etc etc.

Note you'll have a bit of work after casting getting that nice finish.

Are you sure they're aluminium? Many small items like that are case in zinc or pewter or the likes IIRC.

I had a hard enough time trying to clean up these exhaust trumpets so I'd say to clean rough casting I would have to buy some proper polishing equipment.
    I guess the brackets are the price they are because of the work involved :(

2011-07-28162148.jpg

That looks well Fergalb, can I ask you what you used to clean it up? I've used various methods to clean up cast metal and alloys in the past but I've had great success with Autosol for removing tarnish and polishing.

• Advertisement

That's a handy little kit alright. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Not to mention that the casted parts would be smaller than the original parts due to thermal expansion/contraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Another problem would be getting a suitable aluminium alloy.. I'd bet that isn't pure aluminium and if you don't match it well it won't have any strength or durability..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

There's an unproven link between aluminium smelting and alziemers.

aujopimur wrote: »
    There's an unproven link between aluminium smelting and alziemers.

I'd forgotten about that :D

Advertisement