Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arnova 10b G3 - ICS

• 09-09-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this 10.1 inch tablet for sale in Argos for 180 euro. After my Zenithink C91's screen became faulty after only 3 months and it would cost me 60 euro (not incl. customs charges) just to send it back to them to fix, I'm looking for a new tablet.

I specifically need a 10 inch for reading comics but won't use it for much else so looking for a cheap model. Saying that, I got what I paid for with the Zenithink and don't want that happening again.

Anyone have any experience with the Arnova 10b G3? Even with ICS it doesn not have Google Play but I read you can get it on easy enough.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5088670/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/Trail/searchtext%3ETABLET.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Was looking at this myself. It looks like good value. Can't seem to find any decent reviews or videos on it tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah I'm only finding reviews of people saying its brilliant or there were problems and had to take it back to the shop.

Very tempted to give it a go. I'm sure I could return it to Argos if there were issues with it. I heard HMV are selling it cheaper, must have a look in there first.

Also, I read you can but it in either resistive or capacitive screens. Argos doesn't say which one they sell, just 'multi touch sceen'. I figure that means capacitive as resistive would be 'dual touch' but it would be an awful sickner to buy it and find out it is resistive.

Might have a look in HMV limerick during the week and see the price.

What is the difference between resistive and capacitive screens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I have one which I got in HMV Henry Street for €159. I have to say its a great tablet for the money. Id recommend it. Plenty of other 10" tablets available online for cheaper but if you dont want to risk getting caught for duty, its a good deal.

With regards to the tablet not having google play - there is a very easy update on flashing it and adding this to your tablet.

http://www.arctablet.com/blog/featured/arnova-10b-g3-custom-firmware-google-play-root-face-unlock/

• Advertisement

Jarren wrote: »

I read that but it sounded like he had the resistive screen even though he says capacitive screen is harder to use and needs more pressure. Sounded like he mixed up capacitive and resistive which is weird for tech radar.

I havn't actually seen a place where u can choose a screen. Im just weary argis doesnt clarify the screen.

Might have a look in HMV limerick during the week and see the price.

What is the difference between resistive and capacitive screens?

Sorry, I thought you meant price difference. From what I understand, resistive screens are stronger and need more pressure applied. Capacitive screens are thinner and less touch is needed. Capacitive is way more responsive and is the way to go. My samsung tocco had a resistive screen and I stopped txting people because it was so hard to type anything. Using a galaxy ace now and the difference is huge!

I checked with HMV and they are selling the same model for 320 euro. They said it was 160 euro in a sale but it's gone back up now.

How are Argos only selling it for 180? I might call into them and ask if I can see it before buying, not sure if Argos allow that though.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I checked with HMV and they are selling the same model for 320 euro. They said it was 160 euro in a sale but it's gone back up now.

How are Argos only selling it for 180? I might call into them and ask if I can see it before buying, not sure if Argos allow that though.
    Surely that's not right.....320 for s tablet that's supposed to be a low end tablet which is priced at around $200 online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It was never 320 on the tag when I bought mine. It was reduced for sure. They won't sell many at that price now.

• Advertisement

Ya seems a bit crazy. I read in argos catalogue that this arnova 10b g3 has a capacitive screen and is 189.99 in the catalogue but the website is 179.99. Website always has the up to date price. Think I'll just go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ya seems a bit crazy. I read in argos catalogue that this arnova 10b g3 has a capacitive screen and is 189.99 in the catalogue but the website is 179.99. Website always has the up to date price. Think I'll just go for it!

Please let me know how you get in with it. I posted elsewhere that I am looking for a budget android tab for my old man, so I'd appreciate reading about how you get on with it. It caught my eye on argos too!

But on Argos it says it's 5cm "thin" and weighs 1kg....reckon that's right? Seems a bit thick and heavy

Please let me know how you get in with it. I posted elsewhere that I am looking for a budget android tab for my old man, so I'd appreciate reading about how you get on with it. It caught my eye on argos too!

But on Argos it says it's 5cm "thin" and weighs 1kg....reckon that's right? Seems a bit thick and heavy

Ya that seemed a bit much but the official Arnova website says it weighs .6 Kilo which was the same as my zenithink so that should be right.

I'm taking the plunge tomorrow so I'll let ya know.
    With it’s 10.1 inch wide screen (16:9) display the ARNOVA 10b G3 is perfect for watching films and sharing that Android tablet experience with friends and family. Great for a tablet experience at home, the ARNOVA 10b G3 is just as comfortable on the go, weighing only 630 grams in its thin 12 mm casing.

http://arnovatech.com/products/g3/arn_10b/index.html?country=vn&lang=en

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Resistive screens are single-touch only.

Any news on this Sheehy....did u pick up the tab after all?

Any news on this Sheehy....did u pick up the tab after all?

Just got around to picking it up today. Charging it at the moment but first impressions are really good. It;s lighter than my last one and comfortable to hold for a 10 incher.

The box and tablet both say Archos 101 G9 but it has Android 4 on it alright. I need to look into it more.

The picture quality is fantastic, way better than the chinese knockoff I had last time where you could see pixels. The screen is definitely capacitive, very responsive and quick opening apps.

1st impressions - Definite recommended but I will only get to mess around with it properly when I get home and let you know of anything else I find.

Thanks for the update. Where did you get it? Was it HMV or Argos (Childers Rd. or City Centre store?)

Thanks for the update. Where did you get it? Was it HMV or Argos (Childers Rd. or City Centre store?)

Argos Childers Rd. for 179.99. Tow or Crescent doesn't have it but you can order it in with them. This is the exact one I got

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=arnova&authToken=%252d1002%252c8RvTgzRQUIkiaCQg1wd0wg264Io%253d

Something is very strange, this tablet is brilliant! It is actaully an Archos 101 G9 turbo. Android 4 and completely open. I went straight onto the Market and got facebook and a comic viewer. All work perfectly. The quality is just class. I looked it up and argos are selling the archos 80 (8 inch) turbo for 250 euro so the 10 inch version has to be dearer (explains hmv selling it for 320 euro). So it looks like argos have a description of the arnova but are actually selling the archos.

My receipt says Arnova 10b g3 as it is in the catalogue and this is on the sticker on the side of the box as well so I don't know if this is a mistake or what.

180 is great value for a great tablet!

By any chance could this have been a one off and you got lucky...or is it just bad advertising on Argos's side?

• Advertisement

I think its bad advertising as the picture in the catalogue shows both the arnova and the archos for the same product. Very strange. Thing is bot products have the exact same specs but I read the market is locked down on the arnova and you have to get a fix for it but maybe that was just an old version.

Still worth it but ask to look at the product and they will get it down for you before buying.

So after a few days, what's the verdict?

Flying it. Touch screen went out of whack but a re calibration fixed it. Froze once but fine after holding power button. Still a great purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

@sheehy83
    whats the battery life like?
    how did you find the wireless? read a review that said it kept dropping out in the house when you move away from the area where the router is,

Box says battery lasts 6 hours. I find it very good, only charged it once since getting it but ive only been reading on it mostly. The wireless has been fine but I havent been moving around the house with it so dunno if it drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

Yupp, some difference alright :pac: My touch scree went screwey again twice yesterday with menus popping up without me touching them and I had to recalibrate it both times but I think it might have something to do with the cover I got. The tablet fits into it and when the cover is close, a magnet holds it closed. Could a magnet mess with the screen? I left it out last night so will see today if it's the same or not.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I thought I read somewhere recently that ICS had got rid of the screen calibration option because it was automatically handled by the OS.

Ah bollix! I went to use it last night, having left it out of it's cover, and the screen is still going crazy when I turn it on. The notification bar keeps opening and closing, then gmail and other desktop icons will open and close randomly. Once I reset the calibration, it works okay but why would it go mad.

Contemplating whether to contact Archos or just bring it back to Argos for a replacement.

EDIT: After looking it up, a ton of people have the same issue and the only fix so far looks to be installing Honeycomb. Man, wish I saw the Archos forums before buying this. Not sure how to install honeycomb, have asked on the forums below.

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewforum.php?f=85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭SparrowHawk

AFAIK if you have the receipt & original packaging Argos will accept returns, with virtually no questions asked. Think they will do so for 30 Days after purchase - open to correction on that, though.

I have returned stuff there before - Camera, bread maker and some hardware - never any issues.

Advertisement