Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy Y - avoiding using carriers data

• 09-09-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this must come up pretty often across multiple phones, but I can't find a thread on it.

#1 son has a Samsung Galaxy Y on Vodafone. We have wireless at home and he can connect to the internet through this. I know this for sure since he is currently out of credit, but can browse so he's definitely not using Vodafones data.

When he's out and about he obviously won't be able to use our wireless and will end up using Vodafones data network.

Is there a way to tell the phone not to use Vodafone for data, but only for calls & txts ?

At the moment he is on the basic crummy Vodafone PAYG rates (47c to other VF phones for example) but from what I can see every time a desktop widget updates when he is out of the house he also gets hit for the crummy Vodafone basic data rate too. Disabling widget auto-updates is definitely an option, but if I can tell the phone never to use the VF data network it would be even better.

z

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

zagmund wrote: »
    I'm sure this must come up pretty often across multiple phones, but I can't find a thread on it.

#1 son has a Samsung Galaxy Y on Vodafone. We have wireless at home and he can connect to the internet through this. I know this for sure since he is currently out of credit, but can browse so he's definitely not using Vodafones data.

When he's out and about he obviously won't be able to use our wireless and will end up using Vodafones data network.

Is there a way to tell the phone not to use Vodafone for data, but only for calls & txts ?

At the moment he is on the basic crummy Vodafone PAYG rates (47c to other VF phones for example) but from what I can see every time a desktop widget updates when he is out of the house he also gets hit for the crummy Vodafone basic data rate too. Disabling widget auto-updates is definitely an option, but if I can tell the phone never to use the VF data network it would be even better.

z

Go into settings > wireless & networks > mobile networks > untick packet data. That's it!

Advertisement