Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second class, struggling with maths

• 09-09-2012 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

My daughter has just started second class.

I think she is struggling a little with maths- she just doesn't seem to be 'getting' double digit addition and subtraction.

I'd like to try to take a bit of time to help her but I know that there are different methods of teaching maths now than when I was in school and I don't want to mix her up. Can anyone recommend a book/workbook or some tool I can use to help her please? Or should I just use the same book that she has in school? She is using mathemagic and brainteasers 2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

She's only been in, what, a week? Give her a little time, it's all new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Yes but she was having some trouble last year too and her teacher pointed it out. Anyway, surely trying to give her some additional support in maths couldnt be a bad thing?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

New Wave Mental Maths 1/2 are good. I would also encourage the use of concrete materials, lolly sticks are good to help with regrouping("opening a bundle of ten")

Now that you say that, I seem to remember my Dad 'encouraging' our maths by use of sweets as concrete material. It had a way of focussing our minds all right!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

sumdog.com is free and has lots of good games too.Baking/cooking will help with measures.Shopping does wonders for money'she'll soon learn if she has enough for whatever.An old fashioned (non digital) clock) in say,the kitchen,is good too.

• Advertisement

Great ideas, now why didn't I think of those?:)

Chances are I'm teaching longer than you have been a parent:p
    Not willing to say how long though :D

As she is in second she will be learning the basics of multiplication later in the year so skip counting (i.e in jumps of 2s- 2/4/6/8/10, 5s,10s etc) will be of use-could be done as a game in the car to help her along. Another handy tip for knowing the difference between odd/even is to let her see what an odd no. is - 13 lolly sticks can't go into groups of 2 without an "odd one out" and that she sees numbers ending in 0/2/4/6/8 are even. "Zero ,2,4,6,8, we think even numbers are really great " is the rhyme we learnt at school-so if it's not even it's odd.

Fractions again need to be done in a concrete way, kids get pretty nifty at getting fractions of something shared between siblings!

Using the language of maths in everyday situations will help too,so that she will learn what a metre is used for (not a yard!)greater/less than/fewer/more /equals etc.

I'm sure she'll fly, a lot of maths is down to confidence.

I'm sure she'll fly, a lot of maths is down to confidence.

Thanks again for all those ideas. I agree with you about the 'confidence' and I don't want her to feel as though maths is her weak point, which would possibly be self-fulfilling. Going through her homework, she's getting some of the sums wrong and she's said to me that she doesn't understand it. I've just told her it's just a trick she has to learn, and that once she gets the hang of it she won't look back.

I think if I invest a half an hour with her here and there it will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

khanacademy.org is my goto site. you can setup an account for the child and keep track of their progress. My eldest is in second class and he is now way ahead of his class. Its also a good parent and child activity as by watching the videos with them you can see how to explain to a child how to do the topic. 15/20 minutes 4 or 5 times a week and they will be flying

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brónaim cád??

Ask the teacher can you arrange a time after school to discuss this. It will only take 10mins for them to show you the method.

• Advertisement
Advertisement