Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC president "Life is a struggle on €232,000"

• 09-09-2012 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/life-is-a-struggle-on-232000-says-university-president-3223690.html
    "When you take on a job as a university head, you have an anticipation that there will be a certain salary going with it. You will have bought the house, you will have got the mortgage, which will be bigger than the one from, you know (before)"

Was never a huge fan of the man personally but always did see him as an intelligent guy. But how he can come out in the the same week where plenty of families will be struggling to just pay the registration fees and say this is beyond me. I can slightly see what he's saying concerning how when he took on job he expected a new standard of living, but when people get new jobs do they suddenly go off buying big new houses and cars immediately?

He says how he could get himself a job in Britain and double his salary along with accommodation and a jaguar......is he still living the celtic tiger mentality?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The report was in the Sunday Independent, no surprise that they have made up the quote. I don't see it in any of what he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

copacetic wrote: »
    The report was in the Sunday Independent, no surprise that they have made up the quote. I don't see it in any of what he said.

Is his speech up somewhere or a video?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You've incorrectly attributed the quote about the salary dropping from 240k to 200k:
    Meanwhile, the president of University College Galway, Dr James Browne, said he was happy to accept whatever salary the Government sees fit. But he criticised it for requesting voluntary pay cuts.

"I don't think its fair to ask anybody to write his own salary. I was offered €240,000 when I became president. It is now €200,000 and I have brought it below that since.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Amy2010

I'm living on less than Eur15k per annum with a mortgage and I get by. Have to watch my spendings and on a very tight budget. Life is a struggle on Eur15K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Zaph wrote: »
    You've incorrectly attributed the quote about the salary dropping from 240k to 200k:

My apologies, I read that wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement