Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted Abductions in Limerick

• 09-09-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

I've heard rumours going around that there have been a number of attempted abductions in around the Fedamore, Patrickswell, Killaloe, Castletroy and Monaleen areas and also at local GAA matches. Two people in a white van have tried to take a number of children. Are there any truth to these claims?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Baldie wrote: »
    I've heard rumours going around that there have been a number of attempted abductions in around the Fedamore, Patrickswell, Killaloe, Castletroy and Monaleen areas and also at local GAA matches. Two people in a white van have tried to take a number of children. Are there any truth to these claims?

There is no truth in rumors, and you've pretty much covered the entire Limerick county area there, to be on the lookout for white transit vans...

My mother used scare the life out of me with that story 30 years ago, but back then it was just a rumor too! The GAA matches is a new addition to the urban myth though.

Coincidentally enough I was out at a juvenile GAA blitz in Patrickswell the other night. Guess what? Not a white van in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I heard the same story.
    I also heard that the white van is selling knocked off gear too.

I also remember that every Autumn a similar story surfaces, perhaps coinciding with the return to school.

Then again, it is better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

There is no truth in rumors, and you've pretty much covered the entire Limerick county area there, to be on the lookout for white transit vans...

My mother used scare the life out of me with that story 30 years ago, but back then it was just a rumor too! The GAA matches is a new addition to the urban myth though.

Coincidentally enough I was out at a juvenile GAA blitz in Patrickswell the other night. Guess what? Not a white van in sight.

In our area, it was a white Fiat 500. Gas part was, I still dont know what one looks like ;)

Chucken wrote: »
    In our area, it was a white Fiat 500. Gas part was, I still dont know what one looks like ;)

The postman used give us sweets when he used be delivering the post, he had to stop with the sweets though because I and my five brothers used nearly faceplant each other off his van when we'd be running to the van to grab the post out of his hands! :D

But he drove an orange van at the time.

The bread man alright used drive a white van, but he was a miserable so and so, wouldn't give you the steam off... a scone, so none of us bothered with him! :mad:

The milkman always made sure none of us were around when he was making his deliveries... not sure what the story was there! :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My gullible cousin in Australia was sharing the same rumours on Facebook last night. The same story does the rounds every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭fran38

It's all over Facebook. Don't think it's true because these stories appear every so often. Some people have rang Henry St about it but got short shrift from the boys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,330 ✭✭✭✭endacl

My gullible cousin in Australia was sharing the same rumours on Facebook last night. The same story does the rounds every year.
    Yep. It's up there with the auld' 'today is the international day of....' chain posts....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

As well as the white van rumour don't forget the one about the foreigners abducting the kid with long blonde hair and bringing it in to the toilets and changing it's clothes and dying and cutting its hair.

Luckily the guards/the Childs mother catches them just as they are putting the child into the white van.

:rolleyes:

The milkman always made sure none of us were around when he was making his deliveries... not sure what the story was there! :confused:

Was his name Pat Mustard :D;)

Chucken wrote: »

Was his name Pat Mustard :D;)

*strokes sideburns*

The life of me now I can't remember... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Are you sure it was a white van OP?

I saw a wine coloured van earlier today and it seemed kinda suspicious to me, so I took a picture. This it, by any chance?

http://fetzblawg.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/free-candy-van.jpg

I saw a wine coloured van earlier today and it seemed kinda suspicious to me, so I took a picture. This it, by any chance?

Here's a couple of dodgy looking characters alright-

article-0-0001C74700000258-605_468x299.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Similar thing in a town in England I was staying in last year - there was supposedly a black car going round, with the driver speaking to kids. The info shot round Facebook, but police had zero reports of this actually happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭adaminho

Probably Larry Murphy seing as my aunts hairdressers sisters Neighbourhood heard it on facebook that he moved into the area!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Nearly as bad as the parkway story about the kidnappers being caught in the jacks cutting the child's hair.
    I even heard it being repeated in the sauna room in the gym and burst my ass laughing out loud at them..cue angry looks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

Being reported as having happened on local radio, even had mother of one of the boys being interviewed earlier according to their website

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/limerick-mother-warns-of-white-van-abduction-attempt/7c4dff68-0777-4847-add3-c8503a7109e7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Possibly some truth in it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Will the cynicism on here stop now that it has been reported in the media?

I don't think you can be too careful when it comes to abduction of kids

edit: Christ, my last line makes it sounds like I'm the van driver

leakyboots wrote: »
    Will the cynicism on here stop now that it has been reported in the media?

I don't think you can be too careful when it comes to abduction of kids

edit: Christ, my last line makes it sounds like I'm the van driver

I don't think you should be too sensationalist either in fairness. Take a look at the OP again-
    Baldie wrote: »

Hell they even included a white transit van in the reporting article! :rolleyes:

I for one am by no means making light of child abduction, what I was making light of was the hysterics in the OP. At least in the reported article the case is a bit more specific than just rumor and speculation. If I was to have taken the OP seriously I'd have to lock my child indoors and never let him out, "because you just never know!".

Actually, I was in the city centre today and overheard some ladies discussing this.

I waited till they'd finished and asked one if it was true. She said it was her neighbours boy who was approached in Henry Street.

Ive since heard (from the boys mother)that a little boy was approached in Killaloe as he played in his own garden.

I'm more concerned now :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Oh won't someone please think of the children!

Children are in far more danger of being assaulted, molested, manipulated, abused by people they know than strangers. Lets hog tie all the uncles that buy presents, and mothers that get McDonalds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Lads, for the none believers there is some truth to this. 2-3 weeks ago athere was an attempted abduction in Killaloe. It happened up the Hill Road. A boy was playing in a garden when a van pulled up and tried to snatch the boy from his garden. Thankfully they were unsuccessful.

killwill wrote: »
    Lads, for the none believers there is some truth to this. 2-3 weeks ago athere was an attempted abduction in Killaloe. It happened up the Hill Road. A boy was playing in a garden when a van pulled up and tried to snatch the boy from his garden. Thankfully they were unsuccessful.

killwill its not that I don't believe it happens, of course it does, on a daily basis, up and down the country, not just in Limerick. But as I say to my wife "keep your eye on the child, not on those you think are out to abduct him!", because if you're too busy looking out for so and so that looks dodgy, you're taking your eye off the child, and that's when it could happen, when your attention is diverted by someone or something else and you take your eye off the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Surely with the numbers of "attempted abductions" , someone has gotten a better description than "a man in a white van".
    There should at least be a licence plate number and even a general description of the drivers/passengers ?
    And what with the amount of smartphones out there someone would have something on video or a photo taken ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Surely with the numbers of "attempted abductions" , someone has gotten a better description than "a man in a white van".
    There should at least be a licence plate number and even a general description of the drivers/passengers ?
    And what with the amount of smartphones out there someone would have something on video or a photo taken ?

guards said today on live 95 fm that they had recieved NO reports of abductions the only white van related incident was a break in where the thief was found in a childs room and got away in a white van

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

This is all rubbish no matter what Limerick radio say. Get a grip people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

caspa307 wrote: »
    guards said today on live 95 fm that they had recieved NO reports of abductions the only white van related incident was a break in where the thief was found in a childs room and got away in a white van

Seems very, very strange that the incident wasn't reported to them. Although the article says "the incident was reported to the gardai at Roxboro Garda Station".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Seems very, very strange that the incident wasn't reported to them. Although the article says "the incident was reported to the gardai at Roxboro Garda Station".

yeah the woman swears she reported it, the gaurd was from roxboro and said it might not be on the system yet!! it was about half 9-9:45 this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

WOLF!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Seems legit....

Simply some cheap sign writing, thats all. Harmless.
    I often get some mistaken looks from my own up and coming self help service.

Advertisement