Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted Abductions in Limerick

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

hightower1 wrote: »
    Seems legit....

Simply some cheap sign writing, thats all. Harmless.
    I often get some mistaken looks from my own up and coming self help service.

The poor little children can't be expected to walk all the way to your overpass for their free hugs. Maybe I could track down the driver of that totally not suspicious van and get him to kidnap give them a lift there for you?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I still reckon this whole thing was born out of Chinese whispers and scaremongering. It reads very like the stories in the current After Hours thread about "urban legends". The White Van story seems to go around every so often even though there's rarely a decent description or any useful other details to go with it. I remember hearing the same rumours when I was a kid in the 90s, even though the actual number of child abductions by strangers is minuscule.

I can appreciate parents/guardians/teachers/neighbours wanting to be vigilant, but I don't see how people are taking this story seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Heard the same story in the 80's. The latest is the white van man is in Thomondgate and Parteen. Maybe he's doing a nationwide tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

looks like there have been complaints alright

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0912/1224323910466.html

Gardaí in Limerick have confirmed they are looking into two separate incidents in which suspicious approaches were made to young boys in recent days.

The most recent incident was reported to have taken place at 9pm last Saturday on Lord Edward Street in Limerick city when a boy aged about 13 was approached by the occupants of a white van.

Two days earlier, on Thursday, September 6th, gardaí had received a report of a similar incident near the village of Fedamore, Co Limerick. In this incident it was reported two men travelling in a small white van asked a 13-year-old boy to get into it.

This was reported to have happened at about 5.30pm. It is understood the boy was walking towards the village when he was asked to get into the van.

He declined and was asked again before he ran home and told his mother.

Gardaí at Roxboro are investigating both incidents, which they say are not necessarily linked. The reports have featured on social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

She's a witch!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Beaver1 wrote: »
    looks like there have been complaints alright

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0912/1224323910466.html

Gardaí in Limerick have confirmed they are looking into two separate incidents in which suspicious approaches were made to young boys in recent days.

The most recent incident was reported to have taken place at 9pm last Saturday on Lord Edward Street in Limerick city when a boy aged about 13 was approached by the occupants of a white van.

Two days earlier, on Thursday, September 6th, gardaí had received a report of a similar incident near the village of Fedamore, Co Limerick. In this incident it was reported two men travelling in a small white van asked a 13-year-old boy to get into it.

This was reported to have happened at about 5.30pm. It is understood the boy was walking towards the village when he was asked to get into the van.

He declined and was asked again before he ran home and told his mother.

Gardaí at Roxboro are investigating both incidents, which they say are not necessarily linked. The reports have featured on social media.

No there is nothing in it - just a bit divilment and attention seeking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trace-Missing-Persons-Ireland/143712565673714

They even have it on their site. Not so sure that I'd be a doubting Thomas about this anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

Rumours flying around fedamore now that he is back in a red golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Gers_punto wrote: »
    Rumours flying around fedamore now that he is back in a red golf

apparently a man and a woman in red golf tried to take a child in thomondgate yesterday evening, again take with a pinch of salt as my cousin told me but heard it from someone who heard it from their uncle/cousin lol also it was on facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Ya I heard a similar story doing the rounds in Shannon. Sounded like bullsh1t to me. A man with long black hair in a pony tail driving a white van approaching young boys.

Stories like these just grow legs and become a type of boogy-man story.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ya I heard a similar story doing the rounds in Shannon. Sounded like bullsh1t to me. A man with long black hair in a pony tail driving a white van approaching young boys.

There was about 10 different regs and 20 different descriptions of the man. It was embarassing seeing people saying that they were driving around shannon looking for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Melion wrote: »
    There was about 10 different regs and 20 different descriptions of the man. It was embarassing seeing people saying that they were driving around shannon looking for him

One girl I was talking to was telling me all about it, I couldn't believe the sh1te coming out of her mouth. She told me that 5 boys were taken away in a van.

ME - 5 boys...really? And when did this happen?
    HER - A couple of days ago.
    ME - Ok...and where did you hear that. Was it on the radio or the television or on the newspaper?
    HER - No, my auntie told me.
    ME - Ok well there's no truth in what she told you.

She then told me why the young boys are being abducted. Basically the man in the van was taking the young boys so he could sell them to married couples who couldn't have their own babies.

The level of stupidity is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Lads, I don't know if any of the attempted abductions in Limerick are true but I know for a fact that one of the incidents did happen in Killaloe. The childs mother told me first hand about it.
    Maybe chinese whisper encouraged a few tall tales after this I don't know but there is some truth to it all.

I dont think any of them are true,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Abduction attempts do happen though, here's one caught on tape

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/18/justice/pennsylvania-abduction-attempt/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_latest+%28RSS%3A+Most+Recent%29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

The shannon thing did happen, was in my estate. Driver was seen talking to the boys, trying to get them into van. Another dad of a different child shouted at the kids to get into the nearest house. Cops spoke to familes involved and traced the driver of the van,
    Some details are here
    http://www.clarecourier.ie/article.asp?id=3489

phill106 wrote: »
    The shannon thing did happen, was in my estate. Driver was seen talking to the boys, trying to get them into van. Another dad of a different child shouted at the kids to get into the nearest house. Cops spoke to familes involved and traced the driver of the van,
    Some details are here
    http://www.clarecourier.ie/article.asp?id=3489

that also quotes the one on Edward st, for a van that's doing the rounds how come no one has got a reg number. I don't believe any of them happened for that reason alone, no reg plate numbers and there's camera the length of Edward street.

that also quotes the one on Edward st, for a van that's doing the rounds how come no one has got a reg number. I don't believe any of them happened for that reason alone, no reg plate numbers and there's camera the length of Edward street.

How do you know that they didn't?
    Reg numbers can be faked and/or changed. It is quite easy to do it.

killwill wrote: »
    How do you know that they didn't?
    Reg numbers can be faked and/or changed. It is quite easy to do it.
    yes it is but there's no numbers even been quoted. the first thing I would do if I seen something suspicious would be take the reg number and report it, even some of the reg number, with all the so called people that seen the white van no reg has ever been quoted anywere. that just my opinion.

yes it is but there's no numbers even been quoted. the first thing I would do if I seen something suspicious would be take the reg number and report it, even some of the reg number, with all the so called people that seen the white van no reg has ever been quoted anywere. that just my opinion.

There is a great chance that a number could have been given to the guards though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement