Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone notice the poor quality pictures on RTE 2 during the All-Ireland today?

• 09-09-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

I watched the All-Ireland on RTE 2 HD (on SKY) today and for the entire match the picture was sort of jumping and stuttering except for the slow-motion replays which appeared fine. Did anyone else notice this? I found it hard to watch the flow of the game as it was sort of jerking along frame-by-frame in a semi-slow motion way. All other stations were normal including RTE 1 TG4 and TV3.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I've noticed that for the last few weeks

it was the same on the rugby yesterday

I think RTE have a few dodgy HD cameras!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Was perfect here on RTE2 HD on sky.

What sky HD box do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

free to air satellite for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Was perfect here on RTE2 HD on sky.

What sky HD box do you have?

Not sure really, it's about a year old. It's black top & bottom and silver in the middle. It's a SKY + HD. box like this one:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRazD6_KWMMEu3wQugcuCVVEa8xfxbpt7J2S0TE_VGjzn8NQcs-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Forget sky. If you have a saorview compatible TV you should watch it on network 2 in HD. Far better picture quality. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

i noticed the picture wasn't great at times, the lines on the pitch were really pixelated, like an old playstation 1 game.

Something was up with the footage today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I watched it on Sky+ HD and the picture quality was perfect, I rewatched it again this evening with my father and there was nothing wrong and it was grand. Now the TV3 minor coverage was brutal, absolutely disgraceful that TV3 are allowed have any GAA coverage considering the poor picture quality they output which is fed from 15 year old cameras which should be in a TV museum somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Quality was also perfect for me on RTE 2 HD Sky 115.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

999/112 wrote: »
    Forget sky. If you have a saorview compatible TV you should watch it on network 2 in HD. Far better picture quality. Hope this helps.

they are both digital, so the picture quality will be the exact same assuming the singal strength is ok

tippman1 wrote: »
    Not sure really, it's about a year old. It's black top & bottom and silver in the middle. It's a SKY + HD. box like this one:

I watched it on the same box and it was fine. Its possible there was an issue with your satellite signal

lucozader wrote: »
    i noticed the picture wasn't great at times, the lines on the pitch were really pixelated, like an old playstation 1 game.

Something was up with the footage today

thats what happens with bad singnal, like when you get very heavy rain it can cause the digital singal to be a bit off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

It was jumpy and blurred on the Setanta feed here, which is an Rte feed passed on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

you should have tried watching the match on the RTE.ie steam- painful

I watched it on the same box and it was fine. Its possible there was an issue with your satellite signal

I don't think so. The bad picture quality was only when the camera was panning across the pitch following the pace of play. Slow motion replay was perfect as was the studio commentary. All my other channels were perfect and RTE 2 was perfect before and since - just the parts of the match where the camera was following the flow of the game......like an old cine camera film...running at a slow rate of frames per second.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I don't think so. The bad picture quality was only when the camera was panning across the pitch following the pace of play. Slow motion replay was perfect as was the studio commentary. All my other channels were perfect and RTE 2 was perfect before and since - just the parts of the match where the camera was following the flow of the game......like an old cine camera film...running at a slow rate of frames per second.

I found this fine, maybe your tv is just prone to motion blur.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

They are the most difficult bits for TVs and Boxes, sounds like you have some kind of local issue.

They are the most difficult bits for TVs and Boxes, sounds like you have some kind of local issue.
    I found this fine, maybe your tv is just prone to motion blur.

But wouldn't it manifest itself with golf, soccer etc. if it were a local issue?
    And only RTE2 on Sunday? I'd have thought if i were my TV or gear it wouldn't be confined to one hurling match? I watch GAA every weekend and never saw this effect till yesterday - and only one specific channel.

The TV is a 40" Philips 40PFL9705H, one year old approx.

Just thinking......I watched on Channel 102 instead of 115. Would that have been the reason for the poor picture? Totally forgot to change to 115 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

they are both digital, so the picture quality will be the exact same assuming the singal strength is ok

This is incorrect, two digital signals can have very different quality pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

12 element wrote: »
    This is incorrect, two digital signals can have very different quality pictures.

then its not the signal thats the issue, its the TV or decoder. the singal can have different strengths in different areas due to weather, but 2 identical singals going into 2 identical decoders with 2 identical TVs, will give 2 identical pictures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

then its not the signal thats the issue, its the TV or decoder. the singal can have different strengths in different areas due to weather, but 2 identical singals going into 2 identical decoders with 2 identical TVs, will give 2 identical pictures

You were comparing a sky signal to a saorview signal and saying they were the same because they are both digital. That is comparing two different digital signals going to two different decoders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 techfixer

For some reason my tv started to do this on all stations so I went into the menu and my resolution was changed so I changed it to 1080i60 now it works perfect hopefully this helps someone

• Advertisement
Advertisement