Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what are going to do about petrol?

• 09-09-2012 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

Well? €1.73 a ****in litre and apparently going up at the end of the month?

The way it is going, half the country will be better on the dole because getting to work will be too expensive.

So who do we blame? Should we go and blockade our local Topaz or Esso, or should we write a strongly worded email to our local TD?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Green diesel lad !!! drive her like you stole her on it !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I sold my car months ago, now I use the bus with the rest of the peasants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I drive to Venezuela whenever I need to fill up the tank. It only costs 2c a litre there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I've mentioned various fuel saving techniques here before but it was met with ridicule etc. So it would seem a lot of people don't care about it! Go figure!

Anyway,
    Here's a link to how much our fuel consumption has dropped over the past few years:http://omrpublic.iea.org/demand/ir_gs_ov.pdf
    http://omrpublic.iea.org/demand/ir_dl_ov.pdf
    The govt income from fuel sales has dropped so they are quite happy with fuel price increases!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The way it is going, half the country will be better on the dole because getting to work will be too expensive.

Get the bus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Dafuq it's 173c. Where are you buying it, Brown Thomas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The Obama administration needs to go after the speculators manipulators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

So who do we blame? Should we go and blockade our local Topaz or Esso, or should we write a strongly worded email to our local TD?
    [URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['0']['point']);station['0']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('0'));"]Texaco[/URL]
    Carrick Road, Ardee
    158.9c
    9th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['1']['point']);station['1']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('1'));"]Maxol[/URL]
    Urlingford Road, Johnstown
    160.9c
    8th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['2']['point']);station['2']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('2'));"]Pathfinder Oil[/URL]
    Summerfield , Claregalway
    161.9c
    7th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['3']['point']);station['3']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('3'));"]Texaco[/URL]
    Killarney/Killorglin Rd, Lahard
    163.9c
    9th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['4']['point']);station['4']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('4'));"]Texaco[/URL]
    Cois na Habhainn, Abbeyknockmoy
    163.9c
    8th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['5']['point']);station['5']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('5'));"]Esso[/URL]
    Ballyhooly Rd, Ballyvolane
    164.9c
    7th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['6']['point']);station['6']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('6'));"]Amber[/URL]
    Paddy Browne's Road, Lisduggan
    165.7c
    7th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['7']['point']);station['7']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('7'));"]Independent[/URL]
    Trim Road, Balgill, Bective
    165.9c
    9th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['8']['point']);station['8']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('8'));"]Independent[/URL]
    Six Crosses, Listowel
    165.9c
    8th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['9']['point']);station['9']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('9'));"]Top[/URL]
    Whites Cross, Cork
    165.9c
    8th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['10']['point']);station['10']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('10'));"]Texaco[/URL]
    North Ring Road, Ballyvolane
    165.9c
    7th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['11']['point']);station['11']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('11'));"]Applegreen[/URL]
    Limerick Road, Ennis
    166.8c
    9th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['12']['point']);station['12']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('12'));"]Top[/URL]
    Kells Road, Castlemartin
    166.9c
    9th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['13']['point']);station['13']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('13'));"]Independent[/URL]
    Kentstown Rd, Navan
    166.9c
    8th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['14']['point']);station['14']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('14'));"]Independent[/URL]
    Ballylin, Ferbane
    166.9c
    8th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['15']['point']);station['15']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('15'));"]Independent[/URL]
    Oakpark Road, Tralee
    166.9c
    8th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['16']['point']);station['16']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('16'));"]Topaz[/URL]
    Limerick Road, Ennis
    166.9c
    8th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['17']['point']);station['17']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('17'));"]Independent(Clare Oil)[/URL]
    Clare Road, Ennis
    166.9c
    8th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['18']['point']);station['18']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('18'));"]Maxol[/URL]
    134 Richmond Rd, Drumcondra
    166.9c
    7th Sep

[URL="javascript:map.setZoom(14);map.setCenter(station['19']['point']);station['19']['marker'].openInfoWindowHtml(getMiniHTML('19'));"]Independent[/URL]
    O'Growney Street, Athboy
    166.9c
    7th Sep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

squod wrote: »
    Dafuq it's 173c. Where are you buying it, Brown Thomas?

Passed 5 different garages on the way home tonight and they are all at 172.9c.

Welcome to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Paid €1.68 a litre today, oil has actually dropped in price in the last week while the euro has risen against the dollar so it shouldnt go up again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

1.73 in Galway too (or there abouts, 172.9)

Passed 5 different garages on the way home tonight and they are all at 172.9c.

Welcome to Dublin.

Then keep passing those garages. Was in Dublin today and, unless I'm delusional, it's still the cheapest county to buy petrol in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

170.9 in north dublin

Maxol
    134 Richmond Rd, Drumcondra 166.9c
    7th Sep
    Maxol
    16 Crumlin Rd, Crumlin 167.9c
    7th Sep
    Usher's Quay, Dublin 8 168.8c
    9th Sep
    Applegreen
    Ballinteer Avenue, Ballinteer 168.8c
    9th Sep
    Applegreen
    St Agnes Rd, Crumlin 168.8c
    9th Sep
    Petrogas
    Palmerstown Bypass, Palmerstown 168.8c
    8th Sep
    Maxol
    231-235 Harold's Cross Road, Harold's Cross 168.8c
    8th Sep

The chance of me getting this many garages selling petrol this cheap across that tiny an area is next to impossible up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

The US and NATO should have kept their forces in the Arabian gulf after the war and just extorted the Saudi's, U.A.E and Kuwaiti's of all they're oil t' fluck. Oh and Venezuela and Nigeria too.

Sure aren't we basically raping the third world of it's resources legally already ?

We're the west. We can do what we want. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

shedweller wrote: »
    I've mentioned various fuel saving techniques here before but it was met with ridicule etc. So it would seem a lot of people don't care about it! Go figure!

Anyway,
    Here's a link to how much our fuel consumption has dropped over the past few years:http://omrpublic.iea.org/demand/ir_gs_ov.pdf
    The govt income from fuel sales has dropped so they are quite happy with fuel price increases!

That is a unintended qwirk of the greens policy of reducing carbon use through car taxes. That doesn't mean we are driving less, it means we are driving more efficient cars. I use to drive an avensis which wasn't bad on the ould juice and my tax was 600 a year. My new yoke tax is only 140 a year and I think the car makes its own juice, its unbelievable.

Most people I know in the market for new cars consider low tax and fuel economy as their priority.

So I expect they will scrap the scheme soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I blame the Beurocrats and al Qaeda
    Dammit they took our jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Durka durr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I only ever use Topaz petrol and their Topaz fuel-card. The fuel-card would ordinarily have savings compared with paying directly at the pumps & this week the fuel-card is coming in at 169.15 so my local Topaz is higher than that and will be for the coming week too :(

I ain't changing from Topaz as it has always served me well and it's the only petrol-station I have used since I purchased my first car. Loyalty is key for me, and anyways the other pumps my way are not that far from the Topaz pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

The government will have to reduce their tax take on a litre, that's what happened in France.
    Fat chance in Ireland though, it's likely to go up again in the budget along with car tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

So what are going to do about petrol?

Get yourself one of these........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

The days of cheap fuel are long, long gone and there is absolutely nothing that can be done about lowering the price.

Head out around the planet and you will find its a similar story everywhere so don't be thinking that this is an isolated problem here in Ireland.

Unfortunately the car manufacturing industry are well behind the curve of research and development of alternative fuels....only in the last 10 years really! The consumer is just as much to blame with its negative attitude to alternative energies. Did the public really think the car industry in its current form would last forever?

Expect the next 10-15 years to see further rising fuel costs. For anyone relying on a car, it's going to be a number of extremely lean years.

You can stick your head in the sand like many or accept the facts now and prepare accordingly for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I have taken to the bike quite a bit since my car tax was up and i hadn't the money to tax it!!
    We have two cars,a 99 and 03 so it is looking like my 99 is staying off the road so if i could sort out the rain i would cycle to and from work every day........

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

wages should be going up next month, dole is coming down. if only it worked like that.

1.4D4D for the win!:D

3.4L/100k per tank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

well, don't langer a load of it into your nearly new diesel like the wife did today :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Theres gonna be trouble when the haulage companies can't afford to run their trucks anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Set a lit match on it. Show it who's boss.

well, don't langer a load of it into your nearly new diesel like the wife did today :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Well she wont be getting any more langer load from you i reckon!!

1.4D4D for the win!:D

3.4L/100k per tank!

If that means driving a toyota I'd rather hang meself (or just drive another car).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

dahat wrote: »
    Well she wont be getting any more langer load from you i reckon!!

I've sent her to bed on her own, that will learn her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Theres gonna be trouble when the haulage companies can't afford to run their trucks anymore.
    They can't already. Most are operating at a loss and are just keeping the wheels turning. Storage rates/pallet in that industry are also at rock bottom and competition is cut-throat because so many warehouses are empty. There is a hard rain a coming in that industry.:( There may be trouble ahead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Set a lit match on it. Show it who's boss.

Yeah petrol can go fcuk itself.

I'm off outside to sh!te into my cars fuel tank, that it show 'em*.

*Them being the petroleum industry big wigs.

Hard to know who benefits there......

Wife "Thank god that man won't be all over me tonight" sleeps like a log in peace while husband spits rage down stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

pumps.ie, I always use it. Generally apple green are the cheapest but I get at least 600km out of a full tank costing €40...

if u have a smartphone, download it.

Ah, it's no biggie, drain it out, filter, bleed it and rock on. Happens a lot to us with vans, tools fill them up with petrol then ring in "its stopped, don't know why??".

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    If that means driving a toyota I'd rather hang meself (or just drive another car).
    Thats grand. Just remember that if you think about complaining about the high fuel prices!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Petrol prices at an all time high, Oil companies making record profits ... and there's me listening to a million different "reasons" why prices are going up ... jeez, go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

€1.73 a ****in litre and you are complaining.

Wait until Israel starts bombing Iran and then you will have something to complain about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Anyway,

Yes, but is the government take decreasing because the cost is riding beyond the point that people are prepared to pay? I have a classic vehicle that I did not renew this year because is just too expansive to drive it. Also I have taken to cycling to work also. There is no money left to take from me. They can raise the tax to whatever they want. They won't take more because of that. The law of diminishing returns is starting to kick in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Green diesel lad !!! drive her like you stole her on it !!!

Goway wit ya!

Kerosene and Aldi vegetable oil is the way to go!

• Advertisement

Goway wit ya!

Kerosene and Aldi vegetable oil is the way to go!
    shhhh. Shaddup. Quiet there. Hush. Icksna on the huelaah. Blabber.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Well biofuel wont be lasting long I'd imagine, since it's now talking up too much space normally reserved for food crops. And with grain shortages the last few years, there's a good chance it's days are limited. There'll have to be more reliance on petrol or diesel if biofuel goes the way of the dodo. Vicious circle ensues, travel as a whole becomes so much more expensive.

emo72 wrote: »
    They can raise the tax to whatever they want. They won't take more because of that. The law of diminishing returns is starting to kick in.
    That is a point i have been making recently. I currently spend everything so they can raise taxes all they want, the net gain for them will be nil.
    Will we do anything about it?

Of course not!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm not driving 20k to save myself €2.50, I do shop around, but most of the filling stations around Dun Laoghaire are within 2c a litre of each other.

Why are all the ultra fuel efficient cars so dull?

I blame the gubberment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

Seriously who cares. Get a bicycle? Take the car or train?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I cycle to work, even in winter. The days of luxury are well and truly over. However, on the upside, I never had any flu or cold for almost a year. All this exposure to outside elements have actually made me a lot stronger.

As for the petrol price solution: just don't take the car for very short journeys. Otherwise you'll burn your money on petrol pretty fast.

On an unrelated note, I still see 5km long traffic jams in South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Inscrutable

Anyway,

Indeed, there's been a very impressive decline in Irish oil consumption from 193 kb/d in January 2009 to 137 kb/d now - a 30% reduction.

Y'all should consider getting an ebike. No sweat on arrival at work and makes long commutes feasible. About €1,500 for a new one. A dealer told me only 1,000 or so are sold in Ireland each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm not driving 20k to save myself €2.50, I do shop around, but most of the filling stations around Dun Laoghaire are within 2c a litre of each other.

Why are all the ultra fuel efficient cars so dull?

I blame the gubberment.

Syphon petrol from another car.

simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I've started watering mine down.

*note: This is a joke, don't try this at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

So whom do we blame? Should we go and blockade our local Topaz or Esso, or should we write a strongly worded email to our local TD?

Writing a letter to a TD ?? You might as well offer a carrot to a lion.
    Tax is astronomically high in Ireland, especially on alcohol, fuel and cigarettes. The only other option (although illegal) is to use Green Diesel :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement