Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what are going to do about petrol?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Writing a letter to a TD ?? You might as well offer a carrot to a lion.
    Tax is astronomically high in Ireland, especially on alcohol, fuel and cigarettes. The only other option (although illegal) is to use Green Diesel :mad:

Instead of petrol? Wouldn't recommend it :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

So what you are going to do about petrol?
    Suck it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I'm not driving 20k to save myself €2.50,

Sallynoggin isn't 20k away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

squod wrote: »
    No, and yet it's a world away, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

shedweller wrote: »
    I've mentioned various fuel saving techniques here before but it was met with ridicule etc. So it would seem a lot of people don't care about it! Go figure!

I care. Would you repeat them for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 The Longfellow

Pity the poor feckers in India who have to pay over a day's wage for a gallon of the stuff!
    And then they have to go out and navigate the free for all that is the Indian road network

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm lucky enough that I only have a 5km drive to work so petrol costs do not affect me too much.

Having said that, will probably buy a bike soon and cycle to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Prices are about the same in the UK if not more expensive.
    I'm paying about £1.40 ( €1.75 ). It's more towards London and less further north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

trodsky wrote: »
    Seriously who cares. Get a bicycle? Take the car or train?

:D

If you think riding a bike is going to solve your problem then you are extremely naive.

The rising price of petrol goes far beyond the problem of running a personal vehicle.

Food, manufacturing, plastics, cosmetics, energy to name a few are all aided by the helping hand of oil. Three huge emerging economies (CHina, India & Brazil) combined with climate change is forcing the planet to burn through more oil than ever before.

Based on this have you noticed the cost of goods, food, energy all rising slowing in the past few years. A few pence here, a pence there.

On the flipside salaries are decreasing, you might need to rethink you how much you care and what you seriously can do to help your lot. Don't go blaming and whinging about the government because being honest, they don't give a sh*t.

Smart people are already planning for their future with a complete overhaul of lifestyle, riding a bike everyday is just a token effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

squod wrote: »
    I'm not driving 20k to save myself €2.50,

Is that the place next to the Noggin Inn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Electric bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Sure we'll do what we always do, whinge about it and do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Confab wrote: »
    Electric bike.
    I tried one. The tyres couldn't take the weight of my tools and welders and the battery went flat before I reached the end of my driveway. probably didn't like the strain of pulling my trailer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Saw an aul fella pull up at the petrol pumps today in a pristine old Jag XJS. He then proceeded to put 60 euro in the tank. This bought him just over 30 litres. He had a pained expression on his face as he stood at the pump. He knows he'll probably be lucky to get 15 mpg. Cruel world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Sure we'll do what we always do, whinge about it and do nothing.

Speak for yourself there lad.

The days of following the crowd are slowly numbered, I thought the property crash of the last number of years would have thought many the harsh reality of life.

You either start rowing your boat now or be left on the sinking ship ....whinging! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I care. Would you repeat them for me. :)
    Sure! In a nutshell:

Steady up on the acceleration. Get up to speed but do it gently. Not driving miss daisy either, just get up to speed smoothly.

Re; speed. Well, I'm not talking 140kph. More like 100kph. Aero drag goes up dramatically as the speed goes above about 90kph. At 100 you are adding only a little aero drag. Do 140+ and you will see the fuel needle drop!

If you are doing a few things, do the furthest first, then work your way back. The engine warms up quicker. Small savings but it all adds up.

I've tried weight/rubbish reduction but i didn't notice any savings. I have heard of people saving by this method but i doubt their measurements. Unless you have a few bags of cement lying around in the boot i wouldn't sweat it!

Look ahead while in traffic. No, not just the car in front but maybe two or three cars further. This means you can react to a slowdown of some sort BEFORE the lad in front of you. The benefit of this is that you can do it by lifting off the throttle instead of stabbing the brakes. By lifting off the throttle you cut power to the injectors and use ZERO fuel! Plus you don't wear your brakes. Win win.

The same applies to coming up to junctions, red lights etc. Lift off the throttle early so you minimise braking. Now, i'm not advocating lifting off miles away from the junction. Not full on engine braking at least. You can lift off just so that you nearly cut off the injectors. Your speed will hold steady or drop off ever so slightly. It's a fine line but it can be done. Use the instant mpg readout to give you feedback. I personally use a scangauge for this. My car didn't have an mpg readout.

Maintenance wise you need to have the lightest oil the manual says. Try fully synth but don't pay top dollar for it. The savings are in the longer service intervals. The 20 euro halfords deals on oil totally rock in this instance although i think it is semi synth. Just as good tbh.

Gearbox oil should be changed but i would not bother with those additives you see from time to time. The cost of them has to be paid back in fuel savings, which would be small to say the least!

Make sure your brakes aren't dragging.

Make sure your tyres have at least 35psi. I don't get this 32psi malarkey. It's like driving through a soft field! As for loss of grip at higher pressures......prove it!

Check that the plastic lip under the bumper is there. Parking next to kerbs can break these off. They keep air from going under the car and causing drag. They aren't there for decoration you know!

Put a bit of dipetane through it once in a while. It does clean the engine and will get a car through the NCT too.

I personally use a grille block. It cuts down the amount of air going into the radiator and gets the engine warmer quicker. It also cuts down aero drag a little. It also means I cant do much over 100kph but hey, that's my choice!
    (no high horses please. I don't give a **** what they think!):)

Try carpool if you can. This, by far, will hugely cut down your fuel bill. It blows any amount of hypermiling or ecomodding out of the water!

And if you like the sound of your V8 then keep her lit. The govt needs those taxes badly!:pac:
    But if you are done paying too much taxes.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

WIZE wrote: »

*list of stations

a few of those, i wouldnt buy petrol for the lawnmower in them.
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    Theres gonna be trouble when the haulage companies can't afford to run their trucks anymore.

this is it.

when they start protesting by driving on the motorways in both lanes at 60kph, then people will start to know about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

May be in the market for a 2nd hand car in the next year or so, and seriously considering one that takes LPG as well as petrol/diesel.

Nearly half the price, and can get it fairly close to my work.

I cover approx 11k - 12k just commuting to work, and not even counting social driving, I reckon it would save close to £700 in fuel costs if it was to run on LPG all the time (unlikely of course). Wonder if it would be worth extra cost of car thats LPG?

Advertisement