Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not going to graduation

• 09-09-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭

Hey, I can't make it to my graduation and just want to know how i go about getting my degree? i assume i should notify the college i won;t be going right?

also do i have to pay any sort of fee to get the degree, i know you have to pay if you are going to the graduation but i assume thats just for the finger food, photographer etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

According to:
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/current/conferrings/ConferringDayInformation/

"9. What if I cannot attend my ceremony?
    If you are unable to attend your conferring ceremony, you will be conferred In Absentia and your parchment will be posted to your college-registered home address within 10 working days of your conferring ceremony."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

EyeSight wrote: »
    also do i have to pay any sort of fee to get the degree, i know you have to pay if you are going to the graduation but i assume thats just for the finger food, photographer etc.

There was talk of bringing in some sort of fee to cover the cost of graduation (this is outside of what you would have to pay for gown rental) but it was put on hold for the ceremonies last year and from what I can remember the plan was to introduce it this year. But, since there have been no emails and about such a fee, I'm guessing at this stage that there will be no fee, for this year at least. Unless anyone has heard otherwise.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

There was talk of bringing in some sort of fee to cover the cost of graduation (this is outside of what you would have to pay for gown rental) but it was put on hold for the ceremonies last year and from what I can remember the plan was to introduce it this year. But, since there have been no emails and about such a fee, I'm guessing at this stage that there will be no fee, for this year at least. Unless anyone has heard otherwise.

A fee to graduate on top of everything?? Ffs day is going to cost me a days pay because instead of having a load of teachers graduate a week later when all would be on midterm, they have us graduating the week before - every other college has their teacher graduations done during the holidays. I also have to pay for a flight home and back to work, before I go and pay for anything else related to the day - going to be fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

A fee to graduate on top of everything?? Ffs day is going to cost me a days pay because instead of having a load of teachers graduate a week later when all would be on midterm, they have us graduating the week before - every other college has their teacher graduations done during the holidays. I also have to pay for a flight home and back to work, before I go and pay for anything else related to the day - going to be fun!

It was the student union that last year talked about introducing it and I remember there was uproar at the time. They said that the introduction of the fee would be postponed, but since we have heard nothing about a fee I'm guessing that it is not going ahead now. It's a highly ridiculous idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

As far as I can tell it's not happening. I'm graduating in October and there's been no mention of it in any of the emails I've gotten. I hope they don't try and foist it on us at the last minute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement