Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socially Acceptable to Shush People in The Library?

• 09-09-2012 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Final year starts in 2 weeks time for me and I have to study in the Boole due to a Junior Cert and Leaving Cert student taking over the house but hate the thought of having to deal with hearing all of last night's gossip in the Boole Library....so here I am asking Boards.ie, is it socially acceptable to shush someone in the Library? Provided I was sat there first, I've given them 5 minutes to get themselves settled, and they're only talking nonsense opposed to helping each other with an assignment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Ye, if they're bothering you, I can't see anything wrong with it, or you could just ask them to keep it down a bit. You'd be sick of all the people just holding up seats, going in and out the whole time, but most of them won't really be there until the last month. I found last year as well there's certain places that wouldn't be as busy and noisy, I stay in the old part of the boole but I found q+1 and q+3 a lot worse than q+2, and bookefield was quiet enough after about 7 or so. You probably know all that anyway ;) but I wouldn't mind asking people to keep it down, or just give a loud, angry SHUSH!

It's a pity there's no way of emailing the people working there to get them to pipe down or something like that if they're there talking for a while. (They should take people's stuff away during study month as well if they're gone too long!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Final year starts in 2 weeks time for me and I have to study in the Boole due to a Junior Cert and Leaving Cert student taking over the house but hate the thought of having to deal with hearing all of last night's gossip in the Boole Library....so here I am asking Boards.ie, is it socially acceptable to shush someone in the Library? Provided I was sat there first, I've given them 5 minutes to get themselves settled, and they're only talking nonsense opposed to helping each other with an assignment?

I feel shushing is appropriate but no one likes a shusher. The function of the room is set and gossip can be had literally anywhere else. An anonymous shush is always best or an actual go-over-to-explain youre studying and would they mind keeping quiet. Thats always far better recieved as opposed to the guy shushing into your face. Embarrassment factor and all.

But if that doesnt concern you then shush away :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Use an empty class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

yenom wrote: »
    Use an empty class.

Not an option since I start studying from September on.

We'll see what happens anyway I could be lucky anyway with who sits around me but by god anyone costs me a first.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I don't think it's going to be a problem 'til later in the year, OP.

Generally, I think the library's attitude to talking is pretty ****. Every now and then they have these two week long Fascist campaigns when you can't even whisper, then when that's over it just goes back to the way it was. I'd prefer if they were actually consistent in keeping the noise down - and there's enough librarians around to enforce it, that's for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

I don't think it's going to be a problem 'til later in the year, OP.

Generally, I think the library's attitude to talking is pretty ****. Every now and then they have these two week long Fascist campaigns when you can't even whisper, then when that's over it just goes back to the way it was. I'd prefer if they were actually consistent in keeping the noise down - and there's enough librarians around to enforce it, that's for sure!

B...but cutbacks, man, cutbacks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Generally the noise level is fine for me. Although the study month/exam period is generally a nightmare. Hence why I studied at home (may be a problem for you OP) and found I was better able to progress through study/assignments/work.

Generally it's people lacking sense and talking in a library, it's a fundamental, unwritten rule to shut up yet people don't. Librarians should enforce it but at the same time I wouldn't want them breathing down your neck.

You should hear the talking levels in my local library, it's like a public forum for discussing absolutely everything about a funny video on "YouChoob" to Bridget down the road getting an awful case of the shingles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

The noisiest people in the library are the two security guys manning the entrance chatting til the cows come home..... less than 10 metres away from the shut up sign threatening students with fines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

Whats worse is when idiots come in with an ipod on and you can hear the music coming through the earphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

GRRR! YES, it is most certainly acceptable to shush people OP.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056190032

If they give you lip back stand your ground, you're in the right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Most definitely OK. Think about it this way, if you don't get the necessary honours in your degree you will lose MONEY. You may be forced to work abroad as the competition for the few jobs available to graduates in Ireland will be fierce.

Will you let some muppet jeapordise your chances of getting Max marks????

Embarrassment is a luxury you cannot afford in these hard times.

The downside is that you may be shushing the son or daughter of a hiring boss or maybe even a potential boss sometime in the future so that needs to also be taken into account.

I have a huge problem with messers and loud people in public study areas as they cost the rest of the studiers real money at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

I have sushed many times in there over the last four years.

This year it came to a head when I told some "wan" who wouldn't stop talking to her friend about the guy she was texting who was "riding" some other wan from his class that she was an arrogant b**ch.

Not one of my finer moments, but the look on her face was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

I've often gone on a dirty look offensive until they've stopped. Passive-aggressiveness ftw!

Alternatively, when it gets hectic around exam time, you can flee to the Kane building computer rooms. They're usually fairly empty and quiet. I hope posting about them doesn't cause a deluge. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

Crosswalk wrote: »
    Alternatively, when it gets hectic around exam time, you can flee to the Kane building computer rooms. They're usually fairly empty and quiet. I hope posting about them doesn't cause a deluge. :p

Ha that's because they're impossible to find! :D

Advertisement