Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

52 and want to ride a bike again

• 09-09-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

52 and want to ride bikes again
    Hello lads and Lassies,
    I had Bikes when I was sixteen an gave them up when I got married in 1980 my Father was a scrambler racer never did a Motorcycle test I want to ride a bike again I think its that middle age thing ah no it's the price of fuel I drive a 3Ltr Jeep to work from Kildare to Dublin and it cost's a few bob I have every Licence you can get Bus / Truck Truck and Drag but don't have my Motorcycle Licence what can I drive I do Motorway driving everyday so it has to be a bigger cc engine what test do I do and where the hell do I start do I get a Prov Licence first I dont have a clue been away from bikes too long if you can all throw in your bit of advice and help an oul Lad out I would be forever greatful and you know us bikers we all stop at the side of the road to help a biker and I still do even though I am driving the Jeep.wink.pngwink.png
    user_online.pngreport.gif progress.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

In a nutshell you'll have to do a theory test, get the Learner Permit, complete IBT (training) wait a min. of six months and pass your test. The bike can either be for example a small cc bike like 250cc-400cc non-sports type bike or a bigger bike with it's power restricted to comply with your license. If you can get the insurance, you can legally drive a Hayabusa if it's restricted

Look in the beginner questions thread. It's a relatively straight forward process but don't think that it's something you can easily fall into. You have to be quite serious about getting into biking with all the hurdles that noobs have to face these days.

Good luck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Everything you need to know is in this thread... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056323977

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

Hello Mr. Owl!
    Just to add to what the lads have said, they have covered all you need to know but after your 30year gap from motorcycles I'll elaborate.

First and foremost, bikes are not what they used to be! Technology has moved on leaps and bounds so if you used to ride the fastest 600cc bike in the 80s don't think that you can just throw your leg over a 600cc bike now and that it will all come back.
    Top speed has dramatically increased but so has the sheer acceleration!
    You can buy a bike second hand for 1500e that has more top speed and acceleration than most Ferari's!

Your comment about it has to be big cc is what has me warning you as to how much quicker bikes are today even compared to "quick" cars of today.

I understand it's a long comute you have but you have to be sensable about your choice of machine.
    As a more mature rider returning I would suggest a Honda deauville 650cc.
    This bike will be easy to insure, inexpensive to buy if you get a good second hand one, very reliable, economical, eligible for your test if you restrict it, has good weather protection and will be well up to your daily journey!

They really are a peach of a bike!

Born again bikers have a very high rate of accidents so just be vigilant.

Best of luck getting on the two wheels, hope you enjoy every minute of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

10 yrs ago, I was your age I thought I'd do the same, I took a friends bike for a spin.
    After 2mins. I discovered I had lost my nerve and decided it was'nt for me, much to my dissapointment, I'm not even a good passenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

aujopimur wrote: »
    10 yrs ago, I was your age I thought I'd do the same, I took a friends bike for a spin.
    After 2mins. I discovered I had lost my nerve and decided it was'nt for me, much to my dissapointment, I'm not even a good passenger.

I reckon if you still had an interest (based on the fact that you're posting here), you should go and get your LP and do the IBT. Call it a personal challenge. Sure you can use a school bike and their gear and insurance etc. No commitment beyond than the cost of the training. Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

skapegoat wrote: »
    Hello Mr. Owl!
    Just to add to what the lads have said, they have covered all you need to know but after your 30year gap from motorcycles I'll elaborate.

First and foremost, bikes are not what they used to be! Technology has moved on leaps and bounds so if you used to ride the fastest 600cc bike in the 80s don't think that you can just throw your leg over a 600cc bike now and that it will all come back.
    Top speed has dramatically increased but so has the sheer acceleration!
    You can buy a bike second hand for 1500e that has more top speed and acceleration than most Ferari's!

Your comment about it has to be big cc is what has me warning you as to how much quicker bikes are today even compared to "quick" cars of today.

I understand it's a long comute you have but you have to be sensable about your choice of machine.
    As a more mature rider returning I would suggest a Honda deauville 650cc.
    This bike will be easy to insure, inexpensive to buy if you get a good second hand one, very reliable, economical, eligible for your test if you restrict it, has good weather protection and will be well up to your daily journey!

They really are a peach of a bike!

Born again bikers have a very high rate of accidents so just be vigilant.

Best of luck getting on the two wheels, hope you enjoy every minute of it!

Thanks Skapegoat.
    I was not going for the larger cc because of speed I was leaning towards a larger bike for the 650 or so Kms that I drive to work each week dont want to wreck a small bike engine but I take on board your experience of bikes I was on a 1200 cc bike only last year lovely machine just magic that feeling of you and the bike anyway I thank all of the posters here and will go ahead and start the ball rolling and book the training I used to own a Jawa 350cc a Honda 750cc and a few Honda 175 brill bike the Honda 175 went forever I remember collecting the Jawa 350cc brought it out to the front of the shop and could not find the kick start back into the shop to ask the sames person what the Hell am I do to start this never felt so embarrassed when he pointed out the gear lever doubled as the kick start ah well we all have to learn and this is what I am about to do again Learn and Thanks again everyone,

Cheers.:D:D:D

Advertisement