Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Textile craft ideas please!

• 09-09-2012 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all, I have been asked to teach a group of Transition Yr students 6 weeks of textiles. I'm looking for inspiration as to what I could do with 16 year olds I'm really lacking ideas at the moment! usually I would do something like cushions, bags etc but I won't have the use of any sewing machines so that idea is out.

Knitting, cross-stitch etc are a bit too basic and don't quite meet the brief. So if any crafty people out there have some exciting, modern ideas n would like to share I'd be more than grateful!

Thanks, Foodie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How about something like this http://www.spoolsewing.com/blog/2008/05/16/bird-mobile/

You could find other similar patterns - an owl, a snake etc - to give choice. Look for small enough to be hand sewn (neat backstitich), demonstrates using suitable (close-weave) fabrics for the basic shape but simple enough that it then can be decorated using all kinds of textiles.

It doesn't have to go on a mobile, you could set a large branch/twig in a pot of plaster and have the birds sitting in a 'tree'.

Another possibility is textile weaving on card looms - you can do quite complex things weaving with wool, fabric strips, twine etc, different fabrics behave in different ways. If there is a shop that does alterations near you ask if they have bags of scraps that they are going to throw out, great for weaving with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Millypenny

Felting could be a good option for the students.

Also, you could try fabric painting, screen printing, fabric dyeing etc.

If you wanted to try stamping fabric, the students could make their own stamps using funky foam, lino etc.

Coil pots - wrap washing machine line with material or wool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Not sure if this might be a little bit costly but it's a fun project:

http://www.chicaandjo.com/2012/03/12/button-canvas-shoes/

I'd go for mobile phone/iPod covers. They're small enough to hand sew and the students can add embellishments like embroidery or appliqué depending on how well they're getting on. Should keep them all busy.

Advertisement