Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did Michael McKillop have to cover his Olympic tattoo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

More importantly why is he still using bebo? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I think it may be something to do with copyright? That probably sounds mental but i think that the council is slightly protective of how the image is used

Or i could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

I think it may be something to do with copyright? That probably sounds mental but i think that the council is slightly protective of how the image is used

Or i could be wrong.

Isn't it a committee not a council? IOC

So did IOC ask the Paralympic crowd to ask him to cover it up?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I believe the IOC and Paralympics both require competitors to observe a "no commercial advertising" rule (and it's something all athletes have to sign up to)

The organisations are completely independent, and hence the Paralympic Committee decreed that the Olympic rings we considered commercial advertising and banned them. Both Organisations have strict rules on advertising as much to protect their commercial income from official sponsors, so it would be difficult to allow some athletes to display what is in effect a commercial logo (in particular one which is not linked to an official sponsor - I guess it would be like allowing athletes to display Burger King tattoos - McDonalds as an official sponsor would not take kindly to that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Pffft, I think you're allowed to use the Olympic logo on the gear you wear, its just non official logos like in the case of like the previous poster just said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

nucker wrote: »
    Pffft, I think you're allowed to use the Olympic logo on the gear you wear, its just non official logos like in the case of like the previous poster just said

Why would you be allowed do that?
    Tha Paralympics has its own logo.

Why would you be allowed do that?
    Tha Paralympics has its own logo.

I have no idea, I am just as confused as you as to why he was asked to cover this up. I was working at the Olympics and was told not to wear any clothes that had any logos on it, which is a shame, Adidas could of given us the Games Maker's uniform, lol. Another person was kicked out from working because she had a piercing which she flatly refused to not take out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

nucker wrote: »
    I have no idea...

Then why did you suggest it?

Then why did you suggest it?

I didn't suggest anything, all I said is I couldn't understand why he had been asked to cover up but put my POV regards the logo drivel that the IOC came up with

Advertisement