Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive road works.

Options
  • 09-09-2012 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, was driving tonight and saw massive roadworks going on at Rathmines area. Any idea how long will they take place? Also any information on where else they would be doing roadworks any soon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Was it the main street or the Rathgar Road? The Rathgar road is having new tarmac put down at night. Anything on the main street may have something to do with the re-development of the Swan Centre.

I think you can get all planned works on the relevant council website.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

They're resurfacing the entire road from Rathgar through Rathmines and on across the canal down Richmond Street. They've been gradually moving up the Rathmines road for the past week or so.
    I live up at the canal end of Rathmines and was driven mad on Saturday with the noise of drilling all day, and they seem to work through the night too.

Found a bit of info here - apparently it'll be going on for the next month!

Better avoid driving through the area for the next while. I got stuck at the junction to my street last night, was waiting for the guys to turn the stop sign around for at least 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Smurffan

It's all along Rathgar Road and it's driving me DEMENTED!! They had huge machines going all night and have parked a prefab along Garville Avenue where workers take breaks....so also listening to them shouting all night when going to/from breaks!!
    Apparently not supposed to operate heavy machiney after 11pm....this is a joke as jackhammers etc going at 4am this morning!!

It can't seriously last until end of month?! And why are they not working Fri/Sat nights?! At least majority day workers can sleep in a little at weekend....am a zombie last 3 weeks :(

It needs to be done to be honest. Rathgar Road was an absolute state. Was a real danger for cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 7 turbopablo

As a cyclist cycling through Rathgar and Rathmines every day I agree it needed to be done and it's a very nice job. Unfortunately they left out a stretch in the middle of Rathmines Road and they seem to be finished now. Not sure why they did this - would be nice to have a clean stretch all the way.

• Advertisement

turbopablo wrote: »
    As a cyclist cycling through Rathgar and Rathmines every day I agree it needed to be done and it's a very nice job. Unfortunately they left out a stretch in the middle of Rathmines Road and they seem to be finished now. Not sure why they did this - would be nice to have a clean stretch all the way.

Are you sure they're finished? If so I'm going to get in touch with DCC because they've left out the part of the road at the bend in Rathmines. It's very dangerous there.

They've also ignored the road from the top of the Rathgar road (at Rathgar crossroads) up to the Y junction at Rathdown Motors in Terenure (having done the Templeogue Road down to Rathdown Motors last year). It's a bit stupid ignoring sections as what's the chance of them getting done in the future? They might aswell do it properly while they are doing it.

Clanket wrote: »
    Are you sure they're finished? If so I'm going to get in touch with DCC because they've left out the part of the road at the bend in Rathmines. It's very dangerous there.

They've also ignored the road from the top of the Rathgar road (at Rathgar crossroads) up to the Y junction at Rathdown Motors in Terenure (having done the Templeogue Road down to Rathdown Motors last year). It's a bit stupid ignoring sections as what's the chance of them getting done in the future? They might aswell do it properly while they are doing it.

I think they are finished as they seem to have demobilised all of their equipment and there's no sign of them working the last couple of nights (they were previously working Sunday to Wednesday each week). Also the original signs said they would work for 5 weeks from mid Aug and that 5 weeks is now up.

I agree on the state of the roads you mentioned.

I contacted DCC and got the following reply:-
    The NTA Funded Carriageway Renewal Works – Package 5a involves two sections of road within the administrative areas of Dublin City Council.

• Rathgar Road from the junction with Terenure Road East/Highfield Road and the junction with Grosvenor Road

• Rathmines Road Lower and South Richmond Street between the junction with Military Road/Richmond Hill and the junction with Harrington Street/Harcourt Road

In total, the works comprise of 18,780m2 of new surface and 1,447m2 reconstruction of damaged pavement (potholes etc..) The Works also include for the reinstatement of road markings.

The resurfacing works are due to be completed by Thursday of this week (20/9/12) weather permitting.

Please note due to financial constraint other works could not be considered in the areas you mention (and in the case of the section of Rathmines Rd Lower between Military Road and Grosvenor Road was left out because Dublin City Council's Water Services had requirements which will involve excavating the carriageway in that area.)

So they're not doing the stretch from the top of the Rathgar Road to Rathdown motors. It's not the end of the world but it seems a bit short sighted to me seeing as though they are currently re-surfacing in the area.

They're also not doing the stretch of the Rathmines Road Lower from Grosvenor Road (Esso garage) down to Military Road (St Mary's school) because DCC Water division will be excavating. This is the worst part of all the roads in the area so I replied asking him when they plan to do this and whether or not they plan to re-surface once those works are finished. I'll post the reply once received.

They're also not doing the stretch of the Rathmines Road Lower from Grosvenor Road (Esso garage) down to Military Road (St Mary's school) because DCC Water division will be excavating. This is the worst part of all the roads in the area so I replied asking him when they plan to do this and whether or not they plan to re-surface once those works are finished. I'll post the reply once received.

Thanks Clanket. Hopefully they will finish this bit as it is quite bad particularly at the bend in the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Anyone know whats with the cats-eyes in the middle of the traffic lanes?

• Advertisement

They were put down immediately after the tarmac was laid, before the road markings were done. So can only assume they were temporary direction separators and they'll be removed shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

They were put down immediately after the tarmac was laid, before the road markings were done. So can only assume they were temporary direction separators and they'll be removed shortly.

Good, because they are rather annoying.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The bus lane on Rathmines Road, across from Richmond Hill, was thankfully done -- it was desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Anyone know whats with the cats-eyes in the middle of the traffic lanes?

Was just coming on to ask this. They're even in the wrong place beside newly painted road markings. And from the width they've left in some parts it looks like they haven't left space in some places to have cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Huge work going on last night just across the canal on South Richmond St. Buses to rathmines had to use Kelly's corner and there was a stop-go.

Advertisement