Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelicts on Camden St

Options
  • 09-09-2012 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Just wondering if anybody knows what the story is with these buildings on Camden st?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amdgilmore/7795411290/in/set-72157631097053368

Seems like they've been in this state of disrepair for ages. Anybody know who owns them or why they're not being used?

No reason for asking other than curiosity. I pass by them pretty often and the one in the photo always catches my eye.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Always wonder what the story is with these, it's a prime spot, you'd think someone would pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

CianRyan wrote: »
    Always wonder what the story is with these, it's a prime spot, you'd think someone would pick it up.

I think these were being run as dodgy hostels a few years back and there were a lot of complaints about fire safety and living conditions. The same owner had a building on Adelaide road that was being run as hostel too, on the corner near the luas. Anyway i think the one on Adelaide road burnt down/went on fire and the council shut the lot of them down.

Tails142 wrote: »
    I think these were being run as dodgy hostels a few years back and there were a lot of complaints about fire safety and living conditions. The same owner had a building on Adelaide road that was being run as hostel too, on the corner near the luas. Anyway i think the one on Adelaide road burnt down/went on fire and the council shut the lot of them down.

Well that'd explain it, between the bad press and the added expenses of getting the place up to safety regulations, the place could turn into a money pit.
    A shame, it's horrible to see that on what's other wise a nice, up and coming street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

It was many many moons ago a nunary if I recall correctly will look up and post links when on laptop...

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Ah, it's the same owner as the one on Adelaide Rd? That one has a notice stuck to it from the council saying he owes several thousand euro. Can't remember the exact figure but it was over €10,000.

I did have a photo of that one too (including the notice) but annoyingly it seems to have disappeared.

• Advertisement

edellc wrote: »
    It was many many moons ago a nunary if I recall correctly will look up and post links when on laptop...

Interesting. Thanks.

A convent actually...Google convent on camden st and the info comes up

I just found another link saying that the convent is the smaller derelict building to the right, and the one centre frame is Earley Studios of Ecclesiastical Arts. Apparently they provided altars and windows and so on for churches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

6576921371_7e2d3a4c11_z.jpg

The glass is beautiful in the building.

There is more information on the building here. It seemingly used to be the premises of the famous Earley & Company stained glass artists.

http://www.archiseek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7810

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

That building always catches my eye too, I'd love to set up a prohibition themed bar there, a fully kitted out one, like some I've seen in New York. Could be pretty funky!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

They came up for sale a couple of years ago, by tender I think, but the guide was completely unrealistic given the amount of cash you'd need to spend to turn them into anything profitable. I presume they're languishing in NAMA's books somewhere. What someone was saying earlier about 'rogue architect' David Grant is incorrect-someone else owns these.

There was a hostel in the buildings next to these; maybe that's what you're thinking of:

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.333503,-6.265092&spn=0.000003,0.002411&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.333503,-6.265092&panoid=OWmljU8QxHypeiLI7spfmw&cbp=12,242.07,,0,-10.91

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There is some derelict buildings is amazing locations around the city.
    (Sorry for the slight thread derail OP)

Here's 2 on Percy Place, a few meters from Baggot Street Bridge
    http://goo.gl/maps/PNOCq
    http://goo.gl/maps/5fiab

Bizarre that the first one has a brown recycling bin outside it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

amdgilmore wrote: »
    Hello,

Just wondering if anybody knows what the story is with these buildings on Camden st?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amdgilmore/7795411290/in/set-72157631097053368

Seems like they've been in this state of disrepair for ages. Anybody know who owns them or why they're not being used?

No reason for asking other than curiosity. I pass by them pretty often and the one in the photo always catches my eye.
    Pass by it regularly. It's a curious looking building alright.

It's not an appealing part of the street (basically south of the Bleeding Horse towards the canal is pretty kippy ). Narrow pavement and lots of traffic. A wind tunnel for cars. The buildings around it are not great either. Monolithic hotel across the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's such a shame that it's been left to go to ruin, that façade is beautiful.

McDave wrote: »
    (basically south of the Bleeding Horse towards the canal is pretty kippy )

It is a bit, but it's become one of the trendier parts of town in the last five years, with the Bernard Shaw, Wall & Keogh, the restaurants and Shisha bar near The Portobello... and then there's Tiesan and Cake Cafe just around the corner.

I think the renovation of the Bernard Shaw was the catalyst. The area was a lot worse before Bodytonic took it over and started bringing in the crowds.

Tails142 wrote: »

This must be the Adelaide Road one. Another abandoned house in a great location:
    http://goo.gl/maps/P5SFn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

was it not the home of the sewage workers union for a while?

was it not the home of the sewage workers union for a while?

Don't know... anybody confirm?
    Cienciano wrote: »
    This must be the Adelaide Road one. Another abandoned house in a great location:
    http://goo.gl/maps/P5SFn

Yeah, that's the Adelaide Rd. one, which had the notices up on it. I'd imagine that one is a pretty hard sell, with the fire damage and the LUAS running right alongside it.

http://www.nerinstitute.net/about/supportingunions.html

anyone know what number it is

its number 7 so not the above which is a few doors down maybe the dublin city council can help you

http://www.dublincity.ie/WATERWASTEENVIRONMENT/Pages/DerelictSites.aspx

*** DERELICT COUNCIL LIST LINK IN ABOVE ****

• Advertisement

Always thought this place was a waste, been like these for years.
    http://goo.gl/maps/7u6eJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

It is a bit, but it's become one of the trendier parts of town in the last five years, with the Bernard Shaw, Wall & Keogh, the restaurants and Shisha bar near The Portobello... and then there's Tiesan and Cake Cafe just around the corner.

I think the renovation of the Bernard Shaw was the catalyst. The area was a lot worse before Bodytonic took it over and started bringing in the crowds.
    The general Camden/Portobello area has a lot going for it, although I've always felt Camden St generally falls well short of it's potential. Lots of closed up shop-fronts and IMHO not that much in the way of interesting restaurants. I hardly ever eat up that way - Green 19 and Against the Grain will only take you so far. (Any restaurant tips yourself BTW? Maybe I'm missing something obvious.)

Somehow I think Camden St is aimed more at students, so there's no real investment in the street itself. The broken glass on the side of the street is scandalous (and that for a street with two major bike shops!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

There is some derelict buildings is amazing locations around the city.
    (Sorry for the slight thread derail OP)

Here's 2 on Percy Place, a few meters from Baggot Street Bridge
    http://goo.gl/maps/PNOCq
    http://goo.gl/maps/5fiab

Yeah would love to know the story behind the first one there.

Doesnt the council have a derelict buildings list?

McDave wrote: »
    (Any restaurant tips yourself BTW? Maybe I'm missing something obvious.)

Not really, you've pretty much got them covered there!

There's a new-ish Tapas bar on South Richmond, near the Shisha place. It's not bad, but Pintxo in Temple Bar is still top dog for me.

Tiesan on Harrington Street (right at the junction between Camden and Harcourt Road) is pretty good for breakfast and lunch. Some interesting dishes and it's inexpensive. Although the servings aren't exactly huge.

I've heard Sabor on Pleasants Street is really good, but haven't been there yet.

I think that's a fair observation regarding it being student-y, but I live nearby and I've always been fond of the area - even when it was even more of a dump! Anybody remember Manhattan around the corner?!

SHOVELLER wrote: »

Posted a little bit further up the thread by edellc, but there's not many listed on it.

Just wanted to say thank you for this thread, my family where from Bishop Street and I lived in Rathmines and myself, sisters and my mam would walk everyday after school all the way from rathmines, over portobello bridge down camden street and on to bishop street. We also went down there on a Saturday and I remember spending my 50bobber in Hector Greys and walking pass all the fruit and veg stalls talking to the oul ones and maybe getting a free apple or orange. I remember the smell of all the butchers along the street, mainly due to me becoming a vege at a very young age and having to stand outside Morrisseys and it always had sawdust everywhere. I remember the old snooker hall and always wondering how I became a member as it always had a sign outside saying members only :o. I remember loving the penny farthing and staring up at the old style bike and wonder how they kept their balance. I remember all the shops now closed that where once open and bustling and all the new trendy pubs that where once old man ones with thick clouds of cigarette smoke billowing out when you passed.

It has become a lot more run down and all the aul ones are now gone replaced by their daughters and other, shops have closed and there is a more ethnic feel to the place during the day at least. I remember as a teenager going to the mean fiddler, well, hoping you got in as it had an older entrance age back then. I knew people who lived in the flats on both sides of the street, some still there and I remember feeling safe in my city all the way down this street as I viewed it as home.

So thank you :)

No problem! That's all before my time (and I'm a Galwegian blow-in anyway. Moved up here for college originally) so it's nice to know what the place was like.

Well, the Penny Farthing and the fruit and veg stalls are still there... but, yes, it's all change other than that.

I pass through the Liberties occasionally and it's the only place I've found in the city that has that old-Dublin feel to it. It's like the last 40 years just passed it by (and I mean that in a nice way).

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Yeah would love to know the story behind the first one there.

What's the laws about squatting? 7 years and it's yours?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

What's the laws about squatting? 7 years and it's yours?

:D

you need 12 years, or 30 years if govt owned..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Posted a little bit further up the thread by edellc, but there's not many listed on it.

Hardly the definitive list?

Advertisement