Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any way to convert an f-connector to accept ethernet cable?

• 10-09-2012 12:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭

I have a Thomson TWG870UIR router that I got when I was a UPC customer. I now have Net1 fixed wireless broadband because I moved to the sticks and there was no good normal broadband from a fixed line.

The problem is that I dont have a router so I can only have 1 pc connected at a time. The cable from the antenna uses a WAN socket, and there isnt one on my UPC router. The input on that is an F-connector which is what UPC use for their cable.

Is there anything I can use to allow me to connect the ethernet cable from the antenna (actually there is a small box inbetween) to connect it with the F-connector allowing me to create a wireless network?

Ive got a wisacom ws hp800 wireless usb adapter which I used to use for cracking network codes with Backtrack ages ago, and that can be configured to become an access point. I did this today, but for some reason the range on it is awful, barely being received outside of the room its in. Im not sure if its a Windows 7 problem, but there isnt an option to increase the power of the device. When I used it on my laptop running XP last year, I was able to amplify the signal by 800mw, which meant I could pick up wifi signals for a few kilometres away.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

google Cat5 - coax converter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

i don't think what you are trying to do is feasible at all...the UPC modem will be expecting a totally different type of signal at the F-Connector input then what is being supplied by your antenna. I wouldn't attempt this connection either in case of damage.

It may however be possible to connect the ethernet from your antenna to one of the ports on the back of the UPC modem, which probably has more then one ethernet port. From there it may be possible to share it wirelessly. I have this done at home myself, but I'm not sure of the ins and outs of the UPC router.

If it can't be done with that, you could buy a wireless access point for the purpose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

i don't think what you are trying to do is feasible at all...the UPC modem will be expecting a totally different type of signal at the F-Connector input then what is being supplied by your antenna. I wouldn't attempt this connection either in case of damage.

It may however be possible to connect the ethernet from your antenna to one of the ports on the back of the UPC modem, which probably has more then one ethernet port. From there it may be possible to share it wirelessly. I have this done at home myself, but I'm not sure of the ins and outs of the UPC router.

If it can't be done with that, you could buy a wireless access point for the purpose.

I could of course buy the correct router from Net1, they sell them. I was trying to save myself the extra cost, I already had to pay 100euros for the installation.

There are 4 ethernet ports on the router, but I didnt think that would work. How did you setup one of those ports to be the receiving all the data and distribute it out the other ports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I could of course buy the correct router from Net1, they sell them. I was trying to save myself the extra cost, I already had to pay 100euros for the installation.

There are 4 ethernet ports on the router, but I didnt think that would work. How did you setup one of those ports to be the receiving all the data and distribute it out the other ports?

The switch in the UPC device will do that automatically without any additional configs. All the ports are full duplex.
    The only problem you might have is that the net1 connection might only give you out 1 real internet ip address.
    So without a router to do the required NAT'ing you'll be stuck :(

Could I do any of this with a wireless Eircom router? I have one of those as well. Its a DSL type. There is no model number on it anywhere. It is grey with Eircom branding. It has twin antennas, 4 ethernet ports, a DSL port and a PBC button.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you can if it is in bridging mode ( does not give out ip addresses of its own)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If the Net1 router gives your PC an ip in the ranges of 192.168.*.*, or 172.16.*.* or 10.*.*.* then that means it is doing NATing for you. If this isn't the case then you are going to have to mess around with the settings on the Net1 router until you find a way to disable bridging. If the IP address it gives you is a public one then you are probably going to have to find the modems documentation in order to figure out what private address range it is on (or try guessing, it's probably 192.168.1.1), and set your pc with a static address in the same range in order to access the config pages.

Next you would connect to either the UPC and Eircom modem, you need to disable their ability to give out DHCP leases and also change their address to something that is in the same range as the Net1 router (in case you ever need to change wireless settings).

Then just connect your Net1 modem and your router via ethernet to any of the ports on the router and you should be all set.

Alternatively you could buy a generic broadband router, any ethernet ones should work, and you could probably find one for very cheap second hand.

Net1 dont provide any router. The antenna has a CAT5 cable going into a Carrier POE adapter. The adapter only has one Ethernet socket which is connected directly into my pc. Ive since connected this cable straight into one of the ethernet ports in the Eircom (I now know its a Netopia model) router and I have another ethernet cable straight into my desktop pc which is running perfectly. The problem is that I cant access the internet on other devices, such as my HTPC which is connected by ethernet (huge cable!). I am able to change the settings on the Eircom router by connecting wirelessly using my tablet and smartphone. I cannot access the internet though.

Is it safe to put up my IP address here on the forum? Its a permanent one and I want to check before doing so. It starts with 109 (static ipv4 address)

Ive noticed there is a LAN/WAN Turnaround option in the settings. Would this change one of the ethernet ports in the Eircom router into a WAN port, allowing me to input the CAT5 from the antenna into it, and then the router would allow me to connect multiple devices to the other ethernet ports and possibly also over the wifi connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Ive noticed there is a LAN/WAN Turnaround option in the settings. Would this change one of the ethernet ports in the Eircom router into a WAN port, allowing me to input the CAT5 from the antenna into it, and then the router would allow me to connect multiple devices to the other ethernet ports and possibly also over the wifi connection?
    I wasn't familiar with that phrase so I had a quick search for it and this seems to indicate that it should work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement