Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats this place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A driveway.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Wouldnt ya know it had to be Dublin :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

..... A farm. Bales of hay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

irish-stew wrote: »
    A driveway.

:p

No! He means further on.

Its a lampost. lamp post. lamp-post?? Ah, you know what I mean :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Dunno but that VW driver needs there eyes checked they are headed for a wall:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Any good?

Beechpark/Sabine Fields

The house on Scholarstown Road was originally named Beechpark and acquired the name 'Sabine Fields' in the nineteenth century. It is said to have been inspired by a group of four life-sized figures cast in metal representing the Rape of the Sabines, which were bought at auction by the owner of the property, Mr. Moran. Moran displayed these figures on his lawn but in about 1848 they were stolen. After Moran's departure from Sabine Fields it was occupied by a sect of White Quakers who established an Agapemone there. In 1914 a Judge Lloyd bought the property. In 1919 it became the home of Mr. and Mrs. W.T. Cosgrove, whose son, Liam Cosgrove was Taoiseach from 1965 to 1977.
    During the civil war part of the house was burned down but it was rebuilt in 1924. Liam Cosgrove and his family lived there from 1960 to 1969 and sold it to the Foley family. The Cosgroves took the name 'Beechpark' to their new home and the original Beechpark was renamed Ros Mór.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/architecture/pre-1850-houses-in-south-/rathfarnham/scholarstown/

MaxSteele wrote: »
    ..... A farm. Bales of hay.

What are you seeing?? Theres no hay :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

girl2 wrote: »

have no idea what you mean by this:confused:

mikom wrote: »
    Any good?

doesnt say whos there now that needs 24hr garda detail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Syllabus wrote: »
    have no idea what you mean by this:confused:

She's just jealous of our roads in Dublin. Don't mind her.

• Advertisement

cholarstown Road, Dublin, Co. Dublin, Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Was bored so decided to do some googling. The name on the post is Beechpark and a former Taoiseach: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Cosgrave is believed to live there.

doesnt say whos there now that needs 24hr garda detail

How do you get that from a car about to drive into a wall at the end of a driveway? I'm very confused :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The entrance to Liam Cosgrave's house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Why would you wonder what that place is? Am I missing something-looks like a very normal/average entrance to a home to me

^^ The Garda security hut just inside the gate on the right is probably the reason for the OP's curiousity.

The house itself seems fairly modest for a former Taoiseach.

Chucken wrote: »
    How do you get that from a car about to drive into a wall at the end of a driveway? I'm very confused :confused:

not sure if youre taking the pish

the car is parked. it is a gardas private car. the garda is in the little hut to the right

the car is parked. it is a gardas private car. the garda is in the little hut to the right

I'm not takin the pish. Honestly I'm not the only one not seeing it.

Garda hut?? Sure the car is only a car to me.

I'm not takin the pish. Honestly I'm not the only one not seeing it.

Garda hut?? Sure the car is only a car to me.

trust me, ive passed it enough times to know it is a garda detail. just never knew why it was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

girl2 wrote: »

WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I love this thread. Random picture of a car and a wall. He expects everybody to know where it is.

I love this thread. Random picture of a car and a wall. He expects everybody to know where it is.

See OP, I'm not the only one! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

And they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I'm sure it might used to have been a Garda hut, beck when it was the then Taoiseach's property. But I don't see any reason to believe it still is one.
    Why do you think it's a Garda car?

well, i know not everyone has the same level of cop on etc but what i 'expected' was for someone who knew the place to comment on the thread and the people who had no idea where it was or what i was asking to go to a different thread that they could contribute to.:rolleyes:

if you could not manage this, at the very least i 'expected' people to click the link, zoom out(shock horror) and see if they recognised the area and if not then see the paragraph above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

WTF?

What's wrong love?

well, i know not everyone has the same level of cop on etc but what i 'expected' was for someone who knew the place to comment on the thread and the people who had no idea where it was or what i was asking to go to a different thread that they could contribute to.:rolleyes:

if you could not manage this, at the very least i 'expected' people to click the link, zoom out(shock horror) and see if they recognised the area and if not then see the paragraph above.

But this isnt the Dublin forum. We dont all live in Dublin, op. Ive never even heard of the place in my life.

later12 wrote: »
    I'm sure it might used to have been a Garda hut, beck when it was the then Taoiseach's property. But I don't see any reason to believe it still is one.

ok, just to clarify again.

i pass this place atleast once and week and have done for about 15yrs. i have seen squad cars parked there sometimes, have seen gardai strolling around the place. there is a 24/7 garda detail here for sure as recent as 7hrs ago

But this isnt the Dublin forum. We dont all live in Dublin, op. Ive never even heard of the place in my life.

well then surely you have nothing to contribute so whats the issue:confused:

just double checked my watch and its defo after hours so i think im safe enough to post here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

ok, just to clarify again.

i pass this place atleast once and week and have done for about 15yrs. i have seen squad cars parked there sometimes, have seen gardai strolling around the place. there is a 24/7 garda detail here for sure as recent as 7hrs ago

Its where Shergar lives

Now feck off before we arrest you

Here are a few more.

Bertie's house.

John Bruton's house.

And from yonder.

Thatcher.

Blair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

What are you seeing?? Theres no hay :confused:

Zoom out to aerial then zoom in a bit over the surrounding field of the house. There must be about 30 to 40 of what looks to me like rolls of hay.

It still is his property. And he hasn't been Taoiseach since 1977.
    Long before Google Maps was ever heard of.
    Its definitely a Garda hut and its still in use.

All former Taoisaigh have such protection.

well then surely you have nothing to contribute so whats the issue:confused:

just double checked my watch and its defo after hours so i think im safe enough to post here

Basically, you just came in, slapped a picture down and said "whats this?!", with expectations of everyone answering.
    You may as well have done it with a random picture of a field.

Perhaps this thread has nothing to contribute to the forum. As the charter says,
    "If there is a more appropriate forum, post your thread there"

Maybe if present in a different manner it could have fitted well but no, it was quite abrupt and inconsiderate.

Lapin wrote: »
    It still is his property. And he hasn't been Taoiseach since 1977.
    Long before Google Maps was ever heard of.
    Its definitely a Garda hut and its still in use.

All former Taoisaigh have such protection.

Ah sorry, I misread a post & thought it was his father's old property, that of WT Cosgrave.

On the other hand, I always forget Liam Cosgrave is still alive. :o
    He very rarely gives interviews or public addresses, definitely our most reclusive iar-Thaoiseach up until Albert Reynold's illness.

Now there are a pair of men you wouldn't see hiding in a cupboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Basically, you just came in, slapped a picture down and said "whats this?!", with expectations of everyone answering.

No, that's not true. A Google maps link was provided, showing exactly where the location is. And since plenty of people knew the place, I don't see what the problem is.

What's with the bizarre anti-discussing-locations-in-Dublin chip in your shoulder?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

pass it every few days, just today when we passed, we were saying poor guard who sits there day in day out musta done summit bold to end up doing it, talk about yawn, biggest action he sees in a day is mrs Taoisaigh, heading out to tesco

He very rarely gives interviews or public addresses, definitely our most reclusive iar-Thaoiseach up until Albert Reynold's illness.

I didn't know Reynolds was ill.

Oddly enough it was exactly one year ago since I last saw him.

He was leaving Croker after last years All Ireland, and I remember thinking back then that he looked a bit shook.

Yes, it's been described as a "significant cognitive impairment" which is presumably related to his age. It's why he wasn't able to contribute to Mahon, and despite some cynicism at the time (claims he just didn't want to go the tribunal, etc.), does seem to be a genuine medical affliction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP

If it helps! The other poster was correct; past Taoisai (!) all have permanent 24 hour Garda protection ; as this seems to be a past T's home that's why;Charlie Haugheys house also has a ( stupid) little booth outside it s gates. I'd thought they'd done away with that in a puff oflublucity; but maybe that's just fir the wives/families after they pass away.

Now hopefully you can sleep sounder : )

Poor old Liam T... Bad way to " go"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Perhaps this thread has nothing to contribute to the forum....

Maybe if present in a different manner it could have fitted well but no, it was quite abrupt and inconsiderate.

you can't presume to know my expectations

what i 'expected', as i already explained, was for people who had info to share it and for people who had no idea what i was asking(such as yourself) to click away from this thread and find a thread they could contribute to elsewhere

the whole premiss of OH is for the random

'abrupt' and 'inconsiderate' :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused::confused:

are you actually reading what you're typing:confused:
    the mind boggles:rolleyes:

what you have gone out of your way to do here would be the same as going into this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.phpt=2056733185 and telling the OP that you dont drive a car and as such have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to contribute to the thread and how dare they put the thread up in OH instead of Motors:rolleyes:

you, imo, are the worst type of troll. a troll with no discernible level of cop on and worst still, a troll who is in no way funny. a troll with either of the former character traits could well be forgiven for pointless posts like yours in this thread.

i suggest you get a hobby

anyway,
    thanks to the people with valid contributions and even the people taking the pish in a funny way:D

you have given me an answer to a qs i was far too lazy to find out for myself:)

Advertisement