Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resume Template for Jobseekers

Options
  • 10-09-2012 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hello all,

Just thought I would share this Template with you all that I send to people when they are updating their resume.

I have seen a lot of shocking resumes from people earning well of $100k per year ..it's shocking how bad some of them can be!

I have left the Technical skills in (recent applicant was a Network Engineer) but for non technical people its a good opportunity to list experience with MS Applications, Databases, CRM systems etc.

Very important also to put your Visa status on the resume otherwise you are going to waste a lot of your own time... burying your head in the sand in the hope they will offer you the job anyway is not the way to succeed! Imaging the complaining you would do if something huge was kept from you about the job when applying!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Thanks for posting, this is very clean template.

Out of interest, how much weight do you put on certifications vs. work experience / training in the IT realm? I am very much experience heavy (10 years+) but expremely light on the certifications (only 2 main certs but not to CCNA / MSCE level). If a 'Training' header was added, with would this add value?

This isn't for applying for work in Australia per say - just a general Q. If you are able to comment that would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

If you are experience heavy I would put more emphasis on your job roles and then have education towards the end .. I would always recommend a skills matrix of some sort at the top, people sometimes scan this, look for key words and in many case just look at this and the most recent position.

In regards to me personally, a lof of my clients are more focussed on the experience and once their is some quals even from many moons ago, they will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

How many pages would you recommend for a CV when applying for a job in Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Hello all,

Just thought I would share this Template with you all that I send to people when they are updating their resume.

I have seen a lot of shocking resumes from people earning well of $100k per year ..it's shocking how bad some of them can be!

I have left the Technical skills in (recent applicant was a Network Engineer) but for non technical people its a good opportunity to list experience with MS Applications, Databases, CRM systems etc.

Very important also to put your Visa status on the resume otherwise you are going to waste a lot of your own time... burying your head in the sand in the hope they will offer you the job anyway is not the way to succeed! Imaging the complaining you would do if something huge was kept from you about the job when applying!

Don't know if it was coincidence or as a result of reformatting my CV to Diddler82's template, but I've 1 interview lined up for next Monday and the possibility of another one in a week or two.

The layout of the information in my old CV was more or less that of the template but I changed font size and added page headers. Definitely has a cleaner look now.

Either way, thanks Diddler82.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Might try and apply that template to my resume of an excavator operator.

My cv is 4 pages which I was told was quite acceptable here in Australia, but would be a definete no no in Ireland. What are peoples thought's on how many pages to put in?

Font size is alot smaller on Diddler's template compared to mine, I'd say that alone would bring it back to 3 pages:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

sponge_bob wrote: »
    Might try and apply that template to my resume of an excavator operator.

My cv is 4 pages which I was told was quite acceptable here in Australia, but would be a definete no no in Ireland. What are peoples thought's on how many pages to put in?

Font size is alot smaller on Diddler's template compared to mine, I'd say that alone would bring it back to 3 pages:D

I would have thought 3 pages would be more than enough, whether in Ireland or Oz. Consider the amount of CV's companies receive. I would assume they want it short and to the point, with just the key information relayed. Anything else can be discussed at the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Don't know if it was coincidence or as a result of reformatting my CV to Diddler82's template, but I've 1 interview lined up for next Monday and the possibility of another one in a week or two.

The layout of the information in my old CV was more or less that of the template but I changed font size and added page headers. Definitely has a cleaner look now.

Either way, thanks Diddler82.

It may or may not but glad something potentially has come of it. Main reasons this format works is that it gives the potential employer all the info they need in the first page or so... the rest is really just filler as generally people will scan after the first page or so.

most important thing to remember is they WANT your resume to be a good one, so if you make it content rich at the start in this format they will be sold straight away rather than having to read through the whole thing to figure out if you are suitable or not.

Let us know how the interview goes :D

kkelly77 wrote: »
    I would have thought 3 pages would be more than enough, whether in Ireland or Oz. Consider the amount of CV's companies receive. I would assume they want it short and to the point, with just the key information relayed. Anything else can be discussed at the interview.

Yeah I would have thought 3 pages was enough but seeminly here in oz 3-4 pages is standard, Ireland 1-2 pages maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I reckon a good cover letter is crucial in getting that phone call for an interview. On Seek they always ask for one. When myself and the girlfriend were applying for jobs together last year (we wanted to work together) we did a pretty snappy cover letter that explained concisely what we're about and what we can offer a business. We applied for 10 or so jobs on Seek and after the following three days we had 8 interviews offered to us.

The last place I worked in when ever we advertised jobs we would get heaps of applicants. 90% were garbage. The amount of Indian IT students that were applying for waiter jobs was un-real!

Anyway, my point is - I think a good cover letter can make your CV stand out. Which is pretty important in the big cities 'cause your going to have competition for that job you want

Any tips on cover letters?
    I haveused the above template for my CV and it looks good, just need to bring my cover letter upto scratch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement