Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So now that drink driving is ok...

• 10-09-2012 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Now, normally i stay away from drink driving debates because i find they're full of extremist types but this morning, i found the country's favorite moral crusader aka Ray D'arcy, preaching on about the rights of drivers who've had drinks. This led me to the conclusion that there's a general consensus these days that drink driving is now acceptable to the majority (ok not just this alone), but if this is the case, i think it raises two issues going forward (as they say)

Firstly, jail sentences for drink drivers? How can a society, or individual, who supports Ireland's unique relationship with the pint at the same time come to drivers looking to imprison them for having a drink? If a driver is served drink in a pub with a carpark how can he be demanded to take the fall for driving home drunk? Makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Secondly, the Ray D'arcy show this morning was talking about hospital treatment for people injured after drink driving. Seemingly the HSE already pays for this. I can't understand how state support for people injured through driving drunk is justified. On one side of the debate, pro drinkers say they're grand to driver. If that's the case why the need for hospital treatment? On the other side, anti-drinkers say it's dangerous, so why would the state be saving the lives of dangerous drivers? Did I miss something, do we not still have old folk being left to rot on trolleys, surely the HSE has greater priorities now than treating drivers who've chose to drive home drunk.

As you may have guessed, i'm anti-drinking. I'm not religious I just believe that drinking is unhealthy and dangerous. Why else would people get sick after drinking all night? Or require hospital treatment after crashing your car from driving home drunk? Given that i believe that a drink is wrong I think driving drunk is wrong and cannot be justified above the social or material needs of the drinker(s). No more or less than i think it would be ok to drive over elderly parents just because they are blocking the driveway asking you to give rehab another go...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Barmy as a banjo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

FatElvis wrote: »
    This led me to the conclusion that there's a general consensus these days that drink driving is now acceptable to the majority

Up there with the worst conclusions ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

FatElvis's boards account should come with a breathalyzer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jrmb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Now, normally i stay away from drink driving debates because i find they're full of extremist types but this morning, i found the country's favorite moral crusader aka Ray D'arcy, preaching on about the rights of drivers who've had drinks. This led me to the conclusion that there's a general consensus these days that drink driving is now acceptable to the majority (ok not just this alone), but if this is the case, i think it raises two issues going forward (as they say)

Firstly, jail sentences for drink drivers? How can a society, or individual, who supports Ireland's unique relationship with the pint at the same time come to drivers looking to imprison them for having a drink? If a driver is served drink in a pub with a carpark how can he be demanded to take the fall for driving home drunk? Makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Secondly, the Ray D'arcy show this morning was talking about hospital treatment for people injured after drink driving. Seemingly the HSE already pays for this. I can't understand how state support for people injured through driving drunk is justified. On one side of the debate, pro drinkers say they're grand to driver. If that's the case why the need for hospital treatment? On the other side, anti-drinkers say it's dangerous, so why would the state be saving the lives of dangerous drivers? Did I miss something, do we not still have old folk being left to rot on trolleys, surely the HSE has greater priorities now than treating drivers who've chose to drive home drunk.

As you may have guessed, i'm anti-drinking. I'm not religious I just believe that drinking is unhealthy and dangerous. Why else would people get sick after drinking all night? Or require hospital treatment after crashing your car from driving home drunk? Given that i believe that a drink is wrong I think driving drunk is wrong and cannot be justified above the social or material needs of the drinker(s). No more or less than i think it would be ok to drive over elderly parents just because they are blocking the driveway asking you to give rehab another go...

i c wat ewe did der

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭nothing

Op you are a copy-paste-manipulate genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ray Darcy was'nt on this morning,your first mistake of many.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

OP why did you set up two different accounts? Why not just use tomtherobot? Pretty sure you are breaking the rules.

Secondly you're a fcuking idiot for thinkin drink driving is accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

i found the country's favorite moral crusader aka Ray D'arcy, preaching on about the rights of drivers who've had drinks.

They have the right not to drive home if out of their bins. Safer for everyone, including themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

jrmb wrote: »

Nope ...not seeing it myself I have to say :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I was about to ask is this a wind up and it actually looks like it is.

People who do any sort of drink driving are idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Drink driving is wrong and alcohol is dangerous. It's basically poison. It kills brain cells, dehydrates you and can cause heart and liver problems. BUT people are free to make their own choices even if they are endangering themselves with the choices they make. Drink driving endangers others which is very wrong and should not be tolerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Few naggins they said
    Be grand they said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

I think it should be compulsory for learner drivers to learn when they are under the influence. That way, when they do drive sober it will seem much easier.

Makes sense really, and I can't understand why someone hasn't thought of it before now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement