Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residency question.

• 10-09-2012 8:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Quick question about Residency.

Im toying with the idea of applying for residency. Did a quick a check and I meet the points, which is nice.
    Im just wondering about the cost and the process. The Immigration site says its 1800 bucks. Is this this the total cost including the expression of interest. Is there any other costs, other than a medical?
    How long does the process generally take? Is it cash up front? Have no idea really.
    Cheers
    Karl

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 keaneray

Hey Karl,

I'm in the process of applying myself at the moment. I had enough points and was automatically selected from the EOI pool. This took 2 weeks. EOI costs $510 online option, hand written and posted costs $680 I think or maybe less. Next I received a letter inviting me to apply for residency, i.e. gather all necessary paperwork like police clearance, birth certs, degrees, references etc. You have four months to do this. Medical wise they have brought out a new rule since July of this year. If you have done a medical with x-rays in the last 36 months you don't need to do another. You are correct in saying this costs $1800. It can take up to a year to process. They do complete about 85% in 6 months so you might be lucky. After your residency is accepted a migrant levy of $300 per person takes effect. So all up doing it on your own costs $2610. Immigration is the biggest monopoly racket going. I think it's even more expensive in Ozzie.

Hope this helps,

Ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Thanks Ray

Clears things up.
    So from what you're saying, there is the upfront cost of $510 for the EOI. Then the cost of sourcing the doc/info required (minimal i imagine). Then the visa cost (!800ish) then the $300 migrant fee?
    So this cost would probably be spread of the course of 6 months to a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I can't remember what it cost us but it only took 6 weeks all in. If going through the London office you'll need to send your passport over so allow for that, expensive to secure courier and can't travel while it's gone.

DON'T go through one of the companies, they'll just rip you off to do stuff that with a little effort is easy to do yourself directly with the NZ immigration office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

I can't remember what it cost us but it only took 6 weeks all in. If going through the London office you'll need to send your passport over so allow for that, expensive to secure courier and can't travel while it's gone.

DON'T go through one of the companies, they'll just rip you off to do stuff that with a little effort is easy to do yourself directly with the NZ immigration office.

When you say the London office, what do you mean? I live and work in Auckland. Im guessing I can do it locally?
    And yeah, not paying some company to do this. Fill in a few forms, send some info, pay some money....cant be that hard!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

When you say the London office, what do you mean? I live and work in Auckland. Im guessing I can do it locally?
    And yeah, not paying some company to do this. Fill in a few forms, send some info, pay some money....cant be that hard!!

sorry, didn't note the location. I though you were still in Ireland in which case you'd do it all through their London embassy office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Generally seems to take 6-9 months when you apply within New Zealand. I've been waiting since the end of April when I submitted all the paperwork and verification stuff. Its annoying hearing nothing and having your future in someone elses hands with no real clue if they're going to say yes or not but sure what can you do. Im lucky I can speak English and have skills, a lot of immigrants dont have that luxury.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branch/aucklandcentralhome/processingtimes/

Advertisement