Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Towns where cable tv is fed by Mmds 2012

• 10-09-2012 9:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

I reckon the following are still MMDS fed. In Early 2014 they must either.

1. feed by wireless stm1 and probably continue to offer analogue only in some cases. :)
    2. feed by fibre
    3. abandon them

Nenagh
    tipperary
    ballinasloe
    enniscorthy
    wicklow
    monasterevin
    tullamore
    roscommon
    killarney
    tallow
    cappoquin
    lismore

plus some estates in otherwise properly cabled towns.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Apogee

I'm not aware of Killarney being cabled, especially given the high number of MMDS aerials visible all over the town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think some estates are...recently built large ones. i know an estate in naas that got mmds/cable in 2006 after Naas Was BB Enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

Very interested to read this. Ratoath is still served by UPC via MMDS however UPC broadband is available from UPC. Please excuse my ignorance, but am I correct in understanding from previous comments that if broadband is available then this does away with the need for UPC MMDS tv signal? Should they have converted tv services to the cables which they've obviously provided to enable the provision of broadband? If so I'm livid as the MMDS service provided is far inferior to the non MMDS service and yet costs more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭markest

MadamX wrote: »
    Very interested to read this. Ratoath is still served by UPC via MMDS however UPC broadband is available from UPC. Please excuse my ignorance, but am I correct in understanding from previous comments that if broadband is available then this does away with the need for UPC MMDS tv signal? Should they have converted tv services to the cables which they've obviously provided to enable the provision of broadband? If so I'm livid as the MMDS service provided is far inferior to the non MMDS service and yet costs more.

Ditto in Charlesland, Greystones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

mallow town is mmds and parts of cork city centre, yep was a upc mds customer up till the end of august last, when i got the notification of the price increase i just walked any gave my 30 days notice, unacceptable in 2012! they knew i was right and no incentive of a €5 off a month was going to make me stay. gone FTA and saorview and delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I reckon the following are still MMDS fed. In Early 2014 they must either.

1. feed by wireless stm1 and probably continue to offer analogue only in some cases. :)
    2. feed by fibre
    3. abandon them

Well. we don't know that for definite yet that MMDS will be switched off in April 2014. The only decision that came out of ComReg's recent consultation was to extend the NTL licenses for MMDS to the same date that the Chorus licenses expire (April 2014). They still don't appear to have made the final decision though the consultants' report was fairly heavily leaning on the side of killing MMDS. I wouldn't be surprised if UPC were to JR any decision to switch off MMDS (given the tone of their response to the consultant's report), either, which could delay things further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

icdg wrote: »
    Well. we don't know that for definite yet that MMDS will be switched off in April 2014. The only decision that came out of ComReg's recent consultation was to extend the NTL licenses for MMDS to the same date that the Chorus licenses expire (April 2014). They still don't appear to have made the final decision though the consultants' report was fairly heavily leaning on the side of killing MMDS. I wouldn't be surprised if UPC were to JR any decision to switch off MMDS (given the tone of their response to the consultant's report), either, which could delay things further.

Thats more info than what UPC will give me. When I was notified about the price increase at end of July, I rang looking for a deal. Mentioned no Itvs, no HD , no player, and no mmds after 2014, the cs person went off to check with his manager. Came back to say they knew nothing about it:( Got an offer that fell far short of $ky's half price offer. Still mulling over both options:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

My Dad's estate beside Sallins village is still MMDS fed,newish estate built in 2005/06.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Not meaning to hijack a thread about MMDS fed housing estates, I did not know MMDS is
    being switched off in 2014. I suppose the spectrum is being reused but what will replace MMDS?
    There are a lot of (us) MMDS customers out there who will never get cable, & don't want sat (let's
    not argue the merits of either right now :).

It's a business for UPC, I'm assuming they still want the customer revenue, I would be surprised if there's no plan,
    even if it's just to stall the switch-off until they have something to replace it (whatever that might be).

There'd be significant costs replacing all the aerials (assuming the boxes are OK for reuse) & a lot of customer
    churn, it would be a nightmare to manage over a short period.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

My estate in Newbridge was built in 2006 and until last month was fed using MMDS. UPC upgraded the entire estate to cable and we now have access to all the UPC services.

• Advertisement

gerryo wrote: »
    Not meaning to hijack a thread about MMDS fed housing estates, I did not know MMDS is
    being switched off in 2014. I suppose the spectrum is being reused but what will replace MMDS?
    There are a lot of (us) MMDS customers out there who will never get cable, & don't want sat (let's
    not argue the merits of either right now :).

It's a business for UPC, I'm assuming they still want the customer revenue, I would be surprised if there's no plan,
    even if it's just to stall the switch-off until they have something to replace it (whatever that might be).

There'd be significant costs replacing all the aerials (assuming the boxes are OK for reuse) & a lot of customer
    churn, it would be a nightmare to manage over a short period.

Well they could get on the Saorsat satellite for relatively small money as there is a small footprint and still beam it to existing aerials. Its not rocket science in this day & age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

Well they could get on the Saorsat satellite for relatively small money as there is a small footprint and still beam it to existing aerials. Its not rocket science in this day & age.

Existing MMDS aerials are 2.6Ghz so will not work with Saorsat

Existing MMDS boxes are DVB-T (old chorus areas) or DVB-C (old UPC areas) and will not work with DVB-S2 (satellite)

But yes they could launch pay channels on Saorsat. In come countries UPC are a pay satellite provider like Sky TV. However I can't see them competing with Sky unless they have loads of channels and to do that viably they would need to launch across the whole of the UK.

They could use Saorsat and other 9 East beams for pay channels and combine them with 28.2 free channels, however UPC would be better launching scrambled channels on 28.2 that cover the whole of the UK or on another satellite close to 28.2 that also covers the UK but is slightly cheaper.

If the channels are carried on Saorsat they would need to be encrypted, and if encrypted they may as well cover all the UK too. It would be great if UPC did launch a similar service to Sky with UK and Ireland coverage.

zg3409 wrote: »
    ..However I can't see them competing with Sky unless they have loads of channels and to do that viably they would need to launch across the whole of the UK.

Yes, you are correct, they would need to compete with Sky & they probably don't have the €€ to do that.
    Some of the channels UPC charge for are paid for by UK license payers, would they have to provide free
    BBC/ITV/CH4/etc to the UK population?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

TCP/IP wrote: »
    My estate in Newbridge was built in 2006 and until last month was fed using MMDS. UPC upgraded the entire estate to cable and we now have access to all the UPC services.

That's the point I was making. I have UPC phone and broadband yet my tv is still MMDS. They did a whole lot of digging up a year or so ago to enable this service. Sorry, not very technically minded but surely the fact that they've gone and installed the capability for phone and broadband should mean that it should now be possible to provide tv services via the same structure and not through the old MMDS system. Anyone able to enlighten me?

MadamX wrote: »
    That's the point I was making. I have UPC phone and broadband yet my tv is still MMDS. They did a whole lot of digging up a year or so ago to enable this service. Sorry, not very technically minded but surely the fact that they've gone and installed the capability for phone and broadband should mean that it should now be possible to provide tv services via the same structure and not through the old MMDS system. Anyone able to enlighten me?

If you want to PM me where you are I have a contact in UPC that I might be able to find out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭More Music

Add any town in Kerry to the list of MMDS fed sites. No cable or fiber in Kerry so you can't get phone or internet from them.

They have 2 main transmitter sites and had a repeater in South Kerry but I don't think that was upgraded to digital so it may not be there anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

gerryo wrote: »
    Yes, you are correct, they would need to compete with Sky & they probably don't have the €€ to do that.
    Some of the channels UPC charge for are paid for by UK license payers, would they have to provide free
    BBC/ITV/CH4/etc to the UK population?

They would need some way of providing them. The UK channels are currently available in the UK via a dish or aerial. BT's TV service in the UK combines the free channels from an aerial with pay channels via phone line internet (fibre to the cabinet) as far as I know. So yes they could combine the free channels and only broadcast pay channels.

I could see any MMDS supplied cable system being fed by Sky boxes etc, but if its only a few channels they can't hope to compete with Sky. For those who don't know most UK channels are already free on satellite if you get your own dish. UPC would need to offer pay sports and movies to make the service desirable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'd put money on there being no cable on Killarney. Every second house has an MMDS aerial and I've never heard any mention of there being cable behind there.

More Music, is that repeater located near Killarney? Most aerials in Killarney point roughly south (it could be just a beambender), the rest point to the main site in the Slieve Mish mountains.

zg3409 wrote: »
    ...UPC would need to offer pay sports and movies to make the service desirable.

UPC can't compete with Sky at this, Sky have the market cornered.
    I can't see UPC making any serious inroads in the UK market, it's already crowded with operators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Out here in Donabate County Dublin and we are on MMDS.

• Advertisement

To be frank the decision is made to auction the spectrum for 4g ....like every other country in the EU. The IMF will be very annoyed if they mess it up. They will not consult till after ASO.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'd agree that is certainly the direction they're heading in....but its not a "decision" until its a Decision, if you get me...

.but its not a "decision" until its a Decision, if you get me...

Seeing as every Comreg decision inevitably leads to a new consultation on the decision it is safe to say that in Ireland a decision is a decision only when nothing more is up for decision after the decision. :cool:

Couple more towns to add to the MMDS fed list.

Cashel
    Kilcullen
    Buncrana
    Athy
    Donegal
    Portarlington
    Kildare
    New Ross
    Slane
    Trim
    Tullow ( not tallow as above)

All at risk of having no telly by mid 2014.

You can add Ballinrobe & Castlebar to that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

There's an MMDS mast on Mt Oriel in Co. Louth. A number these aerials can be seen around Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's an MMDS mast on Mt Oriel in Co. Louth. A number these aerials can be seen around Dundalk.
    The aerials in this instance are directly-fed, and don't feed a cable TV system with one main MMDS receive aerial. Whereas in central parts of Trim, there is a cable network that's fed by MMDS at source.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

In Newbridge myself (Kilbelin Abbey) and its all still MMDS , actually all the new housing estates just off the Athgarvan Road are still MMDS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭Antenna

tallow

The MMDS pickup aerial visible here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Tallow+Ireland&hl=en&ll=52.095249,-8.006989&spn=0.000105,0.076818&sll=37.6,-95.665&sspn=42.194652,61.787109&hnear=Tallow,+County+Waterford,+Ireland&t=m&layer=c&cbll=52.095249,-8.006989&panoid=_ojMHTNIb5dybiTxl1IpEg&cbp=12,227.44,,2,-20&z=14

that small town was originally cabled from the old (decomissioned) Cork Multichannel line (BBC/HTV/S4C) which went through it, then changed over to MMDS + RTE terrestrial inserted onto the cable from the mast visible above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Is there an alternative to Satellite when mmds is switched off in 2014?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

mikeym wrote: »
    Is there an alternative to Satellite when mmds is switched off in 2014?

With Saorview plus the UK channels free on satellite and where is the market for a new pay platform?

I still believe that a lot of these may be abandoned within 2 years. An opportunity will present for a communal takeover to feed Saorview/Freesat of course.

Communities should write to Upc to demand clarity on their future plans for these systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

UPC will feed them with Fibre and/or 2 Way microwave to have full TV service and Broadband and VOD, where there are a viable number of customers (most of them).

Only standalone rural MMDS will be abandoned and it's already a 1/4 of what it was as unless you want Sky Sport the Freesat + aerial is better. People wanting Sky Sport have been getting Sky.

In places like Newbridge and Naas they will integrate them into the mainstream cable system and offer BB as well as a decent channel choice by 2014

However in the middle of Trim or Ballinrobe or Tallow or Tullow ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I discussed new TV/BB headends with them nearly six years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

In places like Newbridge and Naas they will integrate them into the mainstream cable system and offer BB as well as a decent channel choice by 2014

However in the middle of Trim or Ballinrobe or Tallow or Tullow ?????

I know trim cable system would have to be completely rebuilt and there is very few customers on it ,I done a tap audit on it a few years ago.I doubt they would do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

bulbs2010 wrote: »
    I know trim cable system would have to be completely rebuilt and there is very few customers on it ,I done a tap audit on it a few years ago.I doubt they would do it
    When I passed through it last year, it looked like it had just being rebuilt actually! It looked done to identical standards as was used by KN and Sierra etc. in the Dublin rebuild.

My estate in Newbridge was moved from MMDS to cable offering full triple play services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

When I passed through it last year, it looked like it had just being rebuilt actually! It looked done to identical standards as was used by KN and Sierra etc. in the Dublin rebuild.
    oh rite its about 4 years ago when I was there,thats good news cause it was in a terrable state

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

What part of the town are you in ? I've only be waiting 4 years to try and move down the athgarvan road !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

Can anyone tell me please is Rush in Co. Dublin still fed via MMDS or is it cabled now?
    Specifically Goldenridge estate on the Skerries Road.
    Thanks!

Comreg are proposing to allow UPC prolong the agony for these MMDS fed cable customers for 2 years from April 2014.....instead of focusing UPC on an upgrade program.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056826748

What part of the town are you in ? I've only be waiting 4 years to try and move down the athgarvan road !

Sorry for the delayed response I am in Roseberry Hill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Still MMDS fed cable in Redford Park, Greystones. No plans to upgrade.

Advertisement