Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds in chimneys

• 10-09-2012 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am renting in newbridge and have birds in the chimney (one flew down into the sitting room a month or so ago) and we obviously need one of these chimney stoppers or hats or whatever you call them.

I own a house in Carlow and a week or so ago the tenent call to say that a bird came down that chimney too and ruin the sitting room (she was gone for the weekend) and when she came back the ird was dead.

My question is: i dont have the ladder to do this so what do I search for in terms of someone who can do this job? how much would I expect to pay for it....not much I bet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Hi all,

I am renting in newbridge and have birds in the chimney (one flew down into the sitting room a month or so ago) and we obviously need one of these chimney stoppers or hats or whatever you call them.

I own a house in Carlow and a week or so ago the tenent call to say that a bird came down that chimney too and ruin the sitting room (she was gone for the weekend) and when she came back the ird was dead.

My question is: i dont have the ladder to do this so what do I search for in terms of someone who can do this job? how much would I expect to pay for it....not much I bet.

Had a similar problem in the past - our local friendly chimney cleaning done the job - probably a good idea to clean the chimney at the same time anyway.

The best job is a chinaman's hat (not sure if that is the official name) or if you go for one of the wire one's (crowguard) make sure that whoever is doing the job puts chicken wire on the inside.

As far as I recall some chimney pots are not the right size for the chinaman's hat so you need the crowguard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Crowguard costs less than a tenner - literally 10 seconds to put it on. Putting up ladders takes longest.

I supply and fit them for 20. Dont attempt to put chicken wire on it however, as it can lead to the crowguard becoming caked over and blocking gases from escaping.

alproctor wrote: »
    Crowguard costs less than a tenner - literally 10 seconds to put it on. Putting up ladders takes longest.

I supply and fit them for 20. Dont attempt to put chicken wire on it however, as it can lead to the crowguard becoming caked over and blocking gases from escaping.

In my experience crowguards, while they will stop birds nesting in the chimney, do not stop birds esp crows shoving stuff down the chimney and thus causing blockages. Hence the use of chicken wire.

What do you mean by "becoming caked over"?? have never come across this..

Think I have pictures at home. Will have a look later. :)

Cant find the pictures of the problem i was describing.

What I meant was this - if you put chicken wire in as well as a crowguard, depending on the type and condition of fuel you're burning, the soot can build up on the chicken wire and close the holes to such an extent that it can close off the chimney.

Granted, I've only once come across a case bad enough that the chimney was completely blocked because of this, but it's a definite possibility.
    (In this particular instance, the chicken wire was rolled into a ball, and shoved into the 'tapered' section of the crowguard, and the cheap coal that was being used was completely soaked going into the cooker)

Crowguard will be something like this
    CrowGuard.jpg

Crowguard with hood (acts as a rain guard also)
    1630220.jpg

'Chinamans Hat' - It's a rain guard.
    Chimney_rain_bird_guard.jpg

These are only 3 of a huge range of stuff that's available - each situation is different and what may suit your house, may not apply to somebody elses.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Oh, and just regards birds shoving stuff down the chimney - if it's cleaned as regularly as required, you won't have any problems with birds blocking it when one of the solutions above is in place.

Experts recommend at least once a year, with more frequent intervals depending of amount of use, what's installed etc.

Oh, and just regards birds shoving stuff down the chimney - if it's cleaned as regularly as required, you won't have any problems with birds blocking it when one of the solutions above is in place.

Experts recommend at least once a year, with more frequent intervals depending of amount of use, what's installed etc.

Have to disagree with you on this one from bitter experience - the crowguard on its own simply didn't do the job - in the spring time it was only taking a forthnight for my chimney to be completely blocked by crows shoving stuff down the chimney with the crowguard in place :eek:. No problem since using the chicken wire.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you on this one from bitter experience - the crowguard on its own simply didn't do the job - in the spring time it was only taking a forthnight for my chimney to be completely blocked by crows shoving stuff down the chimney with the crowguard in place :eek:. No problem since using the chicken wire.

Fair play - glad it worked for you.
    I wouldn't recommend it, but if it's worked for you, then great! :)

Make sure to keep an eye on it and clean it regularly.

Make sure to keep an eye on it and clean it regularly.

Will do - as soon as it stops raining will be up the ladder to check it - cheers for tip :)

Advertisement