Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defacto Query

Options
  • 10-09-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of info on de facto visa am currently on a 457 but am thinking of changing jobs.
    Girlfriend is on a 457 also so was planning on going de facto on hers have been in oz for over a year together.

Was just wondering has anyone any experience in this and how long does it take and do you get a bridging visa while you are applying for it and how much does it usually cost.

Thanks for all the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Doodaas,
    It took me a little over 12 months to get the temporary approved.
    I was on a bridging visa for that time, no restrictions on work, movement or study, if you do it all yourself, you'll have it for a little over 3k, including all of everything (federal police checks, Garda reference, health check, postage, charge for visa etc.)
    Its a slow process, but if you need the freedom to move off your 457, its the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭site designer

Doodaas,
    I was on a bridging visa for that time, no restrictions on work, movement or study, if you do it all yourself, you'll have it for a little over 3k, including all of everything (federal police checks, Garda reference, health check, postage, charge for visa etc.)
    Its a slow process, but if you need the freedom to move off your 457, its the way to go.

My partner went on my 457, at no extra cost. No health checks, police checks etc.

However she was put on same time as I applied it for it, and seeing how your GF already has her 457 I'm not sure how that'll work.

It's annoying that the secondary has all the freedom, while the primary is stuck in the one job. I hear it's quite easy to get another 457 once you've already been approved, so may be better to find an employer willing to responser you as it may.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

My girlfriend went defacto on my 457.
    Its a simple enough process, the application costs about $300 to $350 as far as i can remember. Her sponsoring company will need to write a letter to say it approves you as a dependant (as the cost of repatriating you may come back on them). Most companies have no problem with this.

Then its just a case of filling the paperwork with associated defacto evidence. We had it approved within a few weeks.

I am not sure about the briding visa sid of the question however. Have no idea what would happen if you left your job and then applied. My gf had a visa while we were applying and then was on my 457 when it was approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Doodaas,

Read he OP again, he is talkign about moving from his 457 to defacto on a 457 - not a PR visa. No police, health, garda checks. Just the visa fee.

Doodass,
    The cost will be a 457 visa application charge. $350
    The time frame could be as little a week as long as it's complete. If you apply while you have a valid visa (your 457) you won't get (or need) a bridging visa. If you apply when you visa is running out you will.
    It's less messy to do it without the need for a bridging visa imo.

Advertisement