Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stressed Fish

Options
  • 10-09-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi - I recently moved my 180ltr community tank, the move went well and I didn't lose any fish but my red tail shark is very stressed.... His tail has lost a lot of its colour and spends most of his time hiding. He doesn't come out to feed.

Water parameters are all fine. The only difference is that I took the opportunity to prune some of my bigger live plants.

Any ideas
    THANKS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

leaving your lights off for a few days can help reduce stress levels in livestock.

It won't be great for the plants though...

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

Thanks sleepy- I'll try it, I'm reluctant to add stress coat or any chemicals to the tank..
    Sleepy wrote: »
    leaving your lights off for a few days can help reduce stress levels in livestock.

It won't be great for the plants though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

fguinan wrote: »
    Thanks sleepy- I'll try it, I'm reluctant to add stress coat or any chemicals to the tank..

if you have plants, leave the lights on, but tape some newspaper over the front of the tank, the changing light and movement outside the tank is probably causing the problems.

Leave it covered up for a 3 or 4 days and remove it in stages. The shark will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

fguinan wrote: »

if you have plants, leave the lights on, but tape some newspaper over the front of the tank, the changing light and movement outside the tank is probably causing the problems.

Leave it covered up for a 3 or 4 days and remove it in stages. The shark will be grand.

I turned off the lights and covered the front of the tank and it seems to have worked, the red tail is eating again and his colour has returned to normal! Thanks for the advice lads!

Advertisement