Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doggy first aid kit?

• 10-09-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Has anyone made up their own dog first aid kit? Any tips on what to put in it? I've seen some online for sale but they already have some of the stuff we have already e.g. lice/flea comb etc. At least once a year each dog ends up with something usually a dew claw mishap or a scrape on the nose (collie had a run in with a wild rat) etc.

Also any tips on what to use for small cuts, salt water is my best friend and tea tree oil (diluted) but the spray on antiseptics at the vets can be pricey when all you need to do is put a little something on to protect a small cut, any cheaper options that are safe that you'd have lying around the house anyway?

Or does anyone have a link to a site that sells a more practical first aid kit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I know I bought one at the pet expo last year for a tenner, it has things like bandages, scissors, foil sheet, hazard waste disposal bag, packets of saline. I cant remember everything exactly now but when Im back home on Friday ill look. When I did a pet first aid course the instructor also said its handy to have a travel size tube of tooth paste and a packet of vinegar from a restaurant incase of bee or wasp stings! This is pretty much the same as my one only mine is in a green bag :P http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~product_id=102702?gclid=CPTDubj8qrICFQoZ4QodkkQAPg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have one of the Karlie ones in the car - go it free at a first aid course. It's pretty basic tbh http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/first_aid/129905. If I go to pet expo I'll keep and eye out for a better one. Lidl have bandages in their specials every few months so keep an eye out for them to stock up you kits ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

A sock and some tape to help deal with paw injuries, you will not believe how much blood comes out of a cut paw, a taped on sock helps hold the dressing in place and slows down your dogs efforts to remove the dressing before you get to the vet or at least long enough to help stop the bleeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The sock's a great idea, think I'll build up my own but do hope to do the first responder course I know my lot have survived so far without me needing any knowledge of first aid but starting to get paranoid in my old age, mind you can't even do human first aid but kid is still alive. Still, would put my mind at rest, wish I could go to the pet expo. it wasn't great last year but being a bigger venue I'm so tempted but have a Michael McIntyre gig to go to.

Advertisement