Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yaesu service

Options
  • 10-09-2012 11:16am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It turns out that the problem I thought was with my antenna or coax is actually a problem with my FT-897. The receive on VHF/UHF is very poor, with repeaters that are normally full scale showing no signal, and others not being audible at all. TX seems to be fine. No idea on HF as I don't use HF, nor have I even got an antenna currently for HF. Have done a full reset just to make sure it's not something buried in the settings that I had changed - no joy.

I've read a few reports of ceramic filters failing, with symptoms similar to what I am experiencing, so it looks like these may be the culprit. Given that I have neither the knowledge or equipment to attempt a fix myself, I'm wondering has anyone got a good, reliable contact who could take a look at my radio? I'd prefer to have it fixed in Ireland if possible by a competent EI, but I obviously don't want it near anyone who doesn't know what they are at.

Are Yaesu not operating out of the UK anymore? I see their UK website is gone, even linked from their main yaesu.com page.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That's disturbing as the UK support was good. I don't know anyone in Ireland I'd trust on it. It actually could be switching diodes, a transistor, input protection diodes, a dry joint. The filters would be way down on my list.

Any of those will give your symptoms. Really unless someone has all the gear, Yaesu service info etc, (not a hobbyist) you are best sending a modern expensive set like that to Yaesu.

a length of wire will tell if it's receiving HF (14MHz daytime, 3.5MHz and 7MHz after dark)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Would Waters and Staunton be able to help you out>?

Just popped into my head now
    Castle electronics in Wales someone recomennded them for my ft757

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

I had the same problem with my VX-7R, the ceramic filter just failed. I had it replaced by Yaesu UK about 2 weeks ago and the filter only cost £1.85 but its like brand new again.
    If you are thinking of having something repaired by Yaesu UK have a read of the following that I received from them.
    "Standard Amateur repair quote

We charge £48 per hour plus parts, return carriage (at £15 for UK only) and the VAT unless under warranty.
    We have an inspection, quotation charge of 0.5 hours labour handheld, receiver, mobile or 1 hours labour mobile HF, power supply and base.
    To these are added return carriage, unless hand collected and the VAT.
    Sometimes the repair is simple and the 0.5/1 hour labour cost plus parts return carriage and VAT is the total amount.
    Normally parts are not too expensive it is the labour charge.
    We make the 0.5 /1 hour charge, as if it does not cover the repair, it does allow an accurate estimate to be made of final costs.
    If you decline the estimate you will still be charged the 0.5/1 hours labour and return carriage (if applicable) plus VAT on the complete amount.

Please send equipment to address below with letter detailing radio type and serial number, fault, proof of purchase (if under warranty), return address (equipment will need to be signed for) and daytime phone number.
    Normal turnaround is 2 -3 weeks.

FAO SERVICE DEPARTMENT
    YAESU U.K. LTD
    Unit 12, Sun Valley Business Park
    Winnall Close, Winchester
    SO23 0LB

If you want PM me and I will give you the email of the guy in Yeasu UK to contact.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks all.

BM, I'll PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Could I get that too I never did ge my 757 sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

Could I get that too I never did ge my 757 sorted.

PM sent

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yaesu UK site seems to be back, I also dropped them a note to here (as well as the email to the contact from BravoMike):
    http://www.yaesu.co.uk/contact_us.php

Thanks folks anyway, will keep the thread updated with progress.

Advertisement