Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which iPad? 64GB WiFi with or without Cellular

• 10-09-2012 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

I want to purchase a decent iPad for my young daughter for Christmas but I'm not sure whether it is worth paying the extra €120 for Cellular?

Here are the two models I'm interested in.

New iPad with WiFi + Cellular 64GB €799.

New iPad with WiFi 64 GB €679.

I'd be grateful for any advice you could offer!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Its really a question you have to ask yourself and no one can really offer much assistance.

The cellular model will obviously allow you to use a mobile phone sim card in the iPad and use data on the go.
    Where as the wifi version will only be able to use the internet and data applications while connected to a wifi network, so coffee shops and at home etc.

So do you want your daughter to be able to use data anywhere and who will pay for this data usage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Will it be used only around the house on wifi?
    How old is the child? Do you think she will want to use it somewhere else in the future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

biko wrote: »
    Will it be used only around the house on wifi?
    How old is the child? Do you think she will want to use it somewhere else in the future?
    My daughter is six years old so the iPad will be mainly used at home and maybe school. I suppose the Wi-Fi only model would probably be fine.

I was hoping to stick to a budget of €700 but I'm wondering if I should stretch my budget by €120 for Cellular, is it something that I might regret not having later?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MrsD007 wrote: »
    My daughter is six years old so the iPad will be mainly used at home and maybe school. I suppose the Wi-Fi only model would probably be fine.

I was hoping to stick to a budget of €700 but I'm wondering if I should stretch my budget by €120 for Cellular, is it something that I might regret not having later?

A 6 year old won't need Cellular. In fact you can get ipad 2 from the Apple refurb store for €319 (I think) for the 16Gb, but they are getting scarce now. Even buying a brand new iPad2 is €399. I honestly don't see a huge difference in teh screens myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My 2c, go with an older version of the ipad. She won't know the difference and you can get one for half the price of a new ipad.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_ipad+wifi/

• Advertisement
Advertisement