Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco product pricing errors and rude staff

Options
  • 10-09-2012 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that the Tesco in Sligo town has been incorrectly pricing products ever since they stopped their policy of giving you a refund plus the product for free when you are overcharged? And also that a lot of the staff there are horrible at customer service?

It has happened to me several times in the past few months, especially with the special offers like things marked as 2 for x amount, 3 for x amount, or things reduced.

A few weeks ago I bought something advertised as reduced, was charged about 3 times the advertised price and when I told a worker, she walked away to check the price in the produce section, which took quite a while, she then came back and told me the price I was charged was correct. I walked back myself and saw quite plainly that she had taken the sign down and replaced it, which is why she took so long. I told her I knew what she had done, she denied it and I simply asked for a refund as the product was expiring the next day (which is why it was reduced). She huffed and puffed while she did it like I was inconveniencing her.

Yesterday I queued for twenty minutes and was overcharged for a product at the till. Went to the customer service desk where two staff were there. I was told 'We're closed here', by the woman, as if I was trying to pay, though I obviously had shopping bags in my hand. I asked where do I go if I was overcharged. The man whose badge said manager, walked away, then the woman did. She went over to the till and I had to follow her and ask again, then when I showed the receipt, the woman at the till told her to refund for one of my items, which still would not give me the correct amount back. It was simple math, I explained it to her, and she goes 'I'm only doin' wha' she tol' me ta.'

Does anyone else find that this Tesco is a horrible place to shop? I only go there for fruit and veg or when it's late and Aldi/Lidl are closed but I am going to make a real effort to never go there anymore. I'm sick of being overcharged at the tills and snapped at by the townie "howya's" who couldn't give a toss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I can honestly say, I dont ever recall a problem when getting their 3 for 2, or 2 for 1, etc etc, and 90% of the time I have found their staff fine. But the layout out of the entire store? Gawd I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The only thing I buy in that shop is beer when they have specials on. Everything is overpriced in there and the shop is a complete kip. Dingy and manky at every turn. Like you said, its full of howaya's and none of them give a toss.

I do 99% of my shopping in Lidl, and maybe aldi. Granted some of the Lidl staff can leave a lot to be desired but then again at least you're not paying through the nose for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree 100% with you as regards the staff in Tescos. I find them to be extremely rude.
    All the other supermarkets have much more pleasant staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I'm glad someone else has noticed this - it's been doing my head in of late! I'm starting to think that a lot of the stuff is deliberately merchandised in a misleading way - i recall them having Walker's Sensations crisps (the big share bags on a 2 for €3.50 offer placed in a tower of baskets 4 high with 4 different flavours out on an aisle end. One of those flavours weren't on the offer, but yet was placed in the 3rd basket up i.e. at about eye/hand level, so it's the first one you reach for. Told a member of staff, they said that tough luck, that one wasn't on offer. I got a bit thick and told them whoever their merchandiser is needs a new job so.

Also went to purchase 2 share packs of Prawn Cocktail Hula Hoops (these were the only ones on the shelf, with no space for anything else, so it's not as if there was other stock that was sold out) on a 2 for €3 deal. The deal didn't work at the self service till, i asked one of the staff about it, he went with me and checked the shelf label. It was 2 for €3 on Hula Hoops alright, but it only said "orig" on the label (that's another one i can't stand in there, they don't even use proper words half the time - a 'Bl ry plyr', really Tesco?). At least the guy says 'that's completely misleading, i'll sort that out for ya' (i've dealt with this guy a few times and he's super nice, he quite clearly hates his job and the company).

They'll do the same with breads - Brennan's bread on offer, except the wholemeal, but the wholmeal is merchandised to look as if it's included. I nearly threw the bread on the floor and stormed out. I'm sick of this kind of stuff happening.

As i said to a friend, if Tesco wasn't located in such a central position they'd have closed a long time ago as the place is a disgrace and nobody would shop there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭mar48

I think all you lovely people should be bombarding Tesco main office with complaints. Going by my experience with Tesco here in Athlone all the staff are pleasant and very helpful. I think they need a big shake up in your areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Tesco Sligo is so, so grim. I hate the layout, I agree that some of the staff are rude, but it does not a good shopping experience make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Can't say I've ever had an issue in Tesco. Many a time I've gone in looking for something in relation to baking where I wouldn't have a clue where to look and a staff member has helped me locate it. The deli staff are lovely and always seem to get on well with each other joking about. True sometimes the cashiers can be a little dreary, but can ya blame them? Hardly a motivating or captivating job to be at all day!!

I made an error with the tesco meal deal picking up the wrong bottle of wine. It wasn't the staff or Tesco's fault. Obviously someone had put down a bottle they had picked up on the shelf where the "meal deal" wine was and I didn't look at the label properly. Easily fixed by removing it from the shopping and replacing.

It's not really the staff's fault that people aren't reading the labels on the shelves correctly for the offers. Whenever I see the "3 for 2" offers, I KNOW it's not going to include every flavour/jar/bottle of the brand and so make sure I'm reading the labels correctly.

I don't find them to be too expensive. I did find Aldi had cheaper and better quality veg/fruit produce. But Tesco have rectified that now too and brought their prices in line with them. You actually look at the prices and there's not a huge differance between the shops anymore.

The floor layout is god awful though!! That should be fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

It's pretty bad in there alright! I try to go there a little as possible we do all our shopping in lidl and I find the staff lovely bar 1 person they are always really friendly to us. I like to shop in tir na nog and cosgroves for certain things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

The staff never have a clue when I'm in looking for stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I have a running joke with the wife where I pretend I'm walking out when one particular staff member is one the self service checkouts, I honestly I thought I was being overly paranoid when I was under the impression it takes longer to get through the checkouts when they are on. They hold the record in my eyes for allowing all 6 checkouts to go down and leave people waiting for help.

My wife also found gluten free rolls (the only packet) 5 days out of date with mould growing on it, didn't get much of a reaction from the manager when handing them over to save them sitting on the shelf so other customers would see them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

I think all you lovely people should be bombarding Tesco main office with complaints.

I actually tried to do this, and surprise surprise, the customer feedback form on their website was broken! I sent an email to their customer service department.

Glad to hear it's not just me who hates the place and commonly finds that the merchandise is priced incorrectly or misleadingly. It's a complete bait and switch job, you try to save a few euro by getting something on offer which often means you buy more than one to get the offer and then end up paying the full price for the extra ones. As a previous poster said, it's only their location saving them at this point and the extended hours. A others have said, the layout is a joke and the place is dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

It is a horrible, horrible place to shop, the dirtiest and most expensive supermarket in town by a mile.
    the staff don't care.
    I avoid it if at all possible

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

To be fair, if the staff were awful to deal with, you cant hold it against them. I'd imagine a big chain company isn't the most inspiring crowd to work for. I've personally had no trouble with the labeling of products on shelves as I'm quite sharp at noticing it. I don't bother my arse going in there at all before half 6, as I have to pay for parking for an absolutely SH!TE car park.
    Also, anybody complaining about the layout cant blame Tesco for that, it's the exact same as when it was Quinnsworths. You can blame that on the glorious Chamber of Commerce. If Tesco had their own way theyd be outside the Borough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭SoundFella

bought some chicken curry yesterday and came up when beeped at beef stew , dont bother with the staff , underpaid and dont have the time so its a go in get stuff self checking ''avoiding all communication with staff''

SoundFella wrote: »
    bought some chicken curry yesterday and came up when beeped at beef stew , dont bother with the staff , underpaid and dont have the time so its a go in get stuff self checking ''avoiding all communication with staff''

Underpaid? I knew a girl who used to worked there and said she was on over €11 an hour for sitting on the till! That's way more than most retail staff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭SoundFella

Underpaid? I knew a girl who used to worked there and said she was on over €11 an hour for sitting on the till! That's way more than most retail staff...

wow im surprised , never knew they got such good wages , presumed with their facial expressions and overall ignorance that they were under paid :eek:

Its down to the historical Quinnsworth staff that have been there for an age. They are unionised, and the minute Tesco try to change anything in regards to their employment there's major ructions.

Hence one of the reasons for the pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Its down to the historical Quinnsworth staff that have been there for an age. They are unionised, and the minute Tesco try to change anything in regards to their employment there's major ructions.

Hence one of the reasons for the pay.
    Hello Mr Tesco manager :D

SoundFella wrote: »
    wow im surprised , never knew they got such good wages , presumed with their facial expressions and overall ignorance that they were under paid :eek:

Yeah, that's exactly what i thought too! I was absolutely slacked jawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Well if that's the case, then I retract my statement
    To be fair, if the staff were awful to deal with, you cant hold it against them.

If I didn't avoid the place at all costs, I'd poo on they're conveyor belt and relish in the look on their face while it creeps closer and closer.

• Advertisement

red sean wrote: »
    Hello Mr Tesco manager :D

Wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

I have given up shopping in Tesco as almost every time they overcharge on at least one item and I waste a lot of time queuing in customer service to make a complaint, then they make you wait even longer as someone has to be called to go off to double check the price… Just not worth the hassle!

I happened to be in Dundrum today and it was just ridiculous. Amongst my groceries, I had 3 medium tomatoes – which according to the receipt, weighed 1.485kg and cost €3.99. I immediately asked the cashier, who didn’t even wear a name badge, if she had weighed them correctly. She said yes, refused to re-weigh them, and told me if I had a problem I should go to Customer Service.

Well, some “Customer Service” it was! As usual, to put people off complaining, there was a long queue in Customer Service… and I was told they could not re-weigh my tomatoes as they had no scales! I asked for a manager to be called. Oh, she was having her breakfast – at 11:30am?!

Eventually, my 3 tomatoes were re-weighed at 0.25 kg and I received a refund. The check out scales had shown a reading SIX times the correct weight. By that stage I felt like throwing them at the rude Tesco staff. A simple obvious mistake like that should have been sorted in a few minutes without the delays and incompetence I had to endure.

I wrote to Tesco, and fully intend to lodge a complaint with the NSAI legal metrology service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Was there a few weeks ago. Never again. The oul c.unt on the till gets up in the middle of serving me to have a chat with the manager. I always go to Dunnes, way better than that mink fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 guesswhoo

I am a 75 year old woman, who has just had a major operation on her leg.

Yesterday, when in tescos, I was slowly making my way down the canned-food isle on my crutches. Suddenly, I tripped over a mop-bucket that someone (probably a tesco staff member) had left there. I fell to the ground and was lying there in agony when, from out of nowhere, appeared several tesco managers who started kicking me in savage fashion. They aimed most of their kicks at my clearly bandaged leg, the one that had recently been operated on. I am sure that this was done in order to inflict the most amount of pain possible.

Tescos ??? . . . never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

guesswhoo wrote: »
    I am a 75 year old woman, who has just had a major operation on her leg.

Yesterday, when in tescos, I was slowly making my way down the canned-food isle on my crutches. Suddenly, I tripped over a mop-bucket that someone (probably a tesco staff member) had left there. I fell to the ground and was lying there in agony when, from out of nowhere, appeared several tesco managers who started kicking me in savage fashion. They aimed most of their kicks at my clearly bandaged leg, the one that had recently been operated on. I am sure that this was done in order to inflict the most amount of pain possible.

Tescos ??? . . . never again.

00.17 Saturday night.
    Sounds like someone OD'd on wine gums :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Well this thread seems to be going all over the place so I'm closing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement