Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If the Social Welfare System was Abolished..

• 10-09-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

It's Budget 2013 and Irelands Social Welfare System is totally abolished..
    (hypothetical of course)

In your most honest and rational belief, what do you think would be the consequences ?

Its a thought I have often had...!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Utopia :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Jesus Nut wrote: »
    (hypothetical of course)

In your most honest and rational belief, what do you think would be the consequences ?

You seen what the grannies did when they tried to means test the medical card for OAPs. Imagine that on a bigger, nastier scale.

Only in this case, there might will actually be people who dont deserve their servcies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd be swapping my shotgun for an ak47

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I reckon people would get a job, start working to get a bit of money..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

A vast echo of "AH HEYOR, LEAVE EH OUHHT' would bellow across Dublin anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

(hypothetical of course)

Well, if the Social Welfare system was abolished you would instantly have all the millions of euro's that make up those payments vanish from the economy. Local businesses would fail, many more people would lose their jobs, hundreds of thousands of people would become homeless etc.

I find it odd that its a thought you have often had, yet you can't offer any kind of actual opinion yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Another cut the dole thread (all of it in this case)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

(hypothetical of course)

A massive revolution like you've never seen in Ireland before.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It will create more enterprise and entrepreneurs. People will go out and try and make money for themselves.

On the negative side, we will have more people knocking on our doors to sell stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

(hypothetical of course)

You tell me, seeing as you have thought about it longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Buck Fizz

(hypothetical of course)

Most people who are on the dole would then be totally fúcked! Especially people in rural areas where there are no jobs. If they then HAD to travel long distances to get to their workplace and the price of fuel and maintenance on a car would probably take up most of their wage!

Also, employers would take total advantage of the situation. They'd know people will have to work full stop, therefore offering crappy money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

We'd see civil unrest unparalleled in the history of the state.
    It may benefit "Ireland Inc." long term but it would mean short term disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yeah, 400,000 jobs would magically be created.

Real life: Chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Viva la revolucion!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

Dunno

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Europe will finally realise how little our minimum wage actually is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Crime would get a tiny bit worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

They shouldn't abolish it. It should start at €300 a week for new entrants and be reduced by €1 each week. That way the short term unlucky people won't suffer for the long term lazy bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Official statistics indicate that there are 28 unemployed people for every job vacancy in the offering.

Official reports indicate that the bank lending to small businesses is one of the lowest in the EU.

So without capital to start their own businesses, and without jobs in the economy, and with the knock on effects for consumer spending by cutting billions out of the domestic economy, what do you think would happen?

It isn't a starter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

We would be dealing with the Great Irish Cheap Fags and Dutch Gold Famine of 2013-2015. Like in 1846, the lower classes would be condemed to wandering the lanes and dying in ditches for want of cider and fake Johnny Blues, suffering colulsions from the DTs.They'd be gathering outside the mansions of the rich in the hope of being tossed a smouldering fag butt.
    When hundreds of thousands have sobered up and quit, the government will order shipments of Indian Cigarettes and Beer, but alas it will be too little too late. The sponger class will be decimated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

(hypothetical of course)

Short-term: Squatting, protests and thievery. Long term, greater divides between rich and poor and Irish people eventually adopting a more self-sustainable lifestyle. Then; an opportunist society, with a national life-expectancy of 65. Or am I thinking of a Philip K Dick book, or Russia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

The downtrodden Dublin people would travel around the country taking your stuff whilst you worked .
    The 188 a week isnt dole its protection money .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Crime would rise.
    Civil unrest would rise.
    People would become homeless.
    Some people would starve/freeze to death.
    Some people would die from easily treated ailments.
    Some people with disabilities would be placed in institutions/abandoned.
    Women with jobs would have to return to work immediately after giving birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Everyone who was on the dole will be turned into Soylent Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

cloptrop wrote: »
    The downtrodden Dublin people would travel around the country taking your stuff whilst you worked .
    The 188 a week isnt dole its protection money .
    Nah,we will be alright,all the jobs are here in the capital ;)

I would have to say people who want the poor to starve to death to save a few quuid for angela merkel really have social disorders and probably shouldnt be trusted alone with women ,children, puppies or kittens .
    They should also have their tv licences taken off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Disbanding the social welfare system overnight would basically leave about a third of the population with little or no income when you consider the families of those who are claiming, and pensioners.

A large number who are receiving assistance would also be in trouble.

Within a couple of weeks, large swathes of all cities and towns would turn into slums and no-go areas as crime rises a few thousand percent and practically every business in a working class area collapses due to income or robbery.
    Crime everywhere would go through the roof and it's likely that the army and Gardai would have to be on patrol with automatic weapons in the "better" areas to protect the citizenry.

That's assuming that the weekly protests and rioting hadn't burned the cities to the ground by then.

On the plus side, with the amount of crime it will take about 20 years for the bank to get a civil hearing to reclaim your house, so you can stop paying your mortgage and spend the money on guns and bars for your windows.

Think about South Africa, only with less prepared security forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

cloptrop wrote: »
    I would have to say people who want the poor to starve to death to save a few quuid for angela merkel really have social disorders and probably shouldnt be trusted alone with women ,children, puppies or kittens .
    They should also have their tv licences taken off them.

No more TV licence. Sounds great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

MagicSean wrote: »
    They shouldn't abolish it. It should start at €300 a week for new entrants and be reduced by €1 each week. That way the short term unlucky people won't suffer for the long term lazy bastards.

Tbh, that is quite allot, and I was in receipt of JSB, JSA, and Fas payments for about 2 years up until June of this year after being made redundant and only had my self to look after.

What I would like to see is a review of how JSA is calculated and paid. I was firstly on JSB for a year, and was only getting my stamps back, 188 a week. Just before the year was up I eventully got a part time job and put on to JSA, was then firstly means tested based on my potential pay/hours, then after a couple of months my average to that date.

In both cases, due to the nature of my part time job, was agency work so hours varried hugely, and allot of weeks I was actully worse off even when you added up the pay from my employer and the adjusted pay from social welfare, and beacuse I was already in the system, in both cases I had to wait about a month for them to calcualte the adjusted pay each time. Thankfully got on a FAS course and now working full time.

Looking back its clear why some people are stuggling and not always honest with the social, and that does not include the career recipients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

450000 people sharing the same job might be slightly problematic.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

seamus wrote: »
    Think about South Africa, only with less prepared security forces.

You've never been obviously, you're thinking Somalia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Mena wrote: »

somehow I don't think you've been to Somalia. Google democracy : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mena wrote: »
    No, SA. 40 murders a day, 500,000 women raped every year, that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

There would be no more dole bashing threads.

• Advertisement

Joe Duffy would have to go ex-directory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

At least if you abolished the Dole it would get rid of the overpaidrollsroycefatcatgravytrain civil servants working in Social Welfare, thereby saving the country another 200 billion a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

deccurley wrote: »
    At least if you abolished the Dole it would get rid of the overpaidrollsroycefatcatgravytrain civil servants working in Social Welfare, thereby saving the country another 200 billion a year.

They would be moved to some other department:mad:

deccurley wrote: »

The surplus would soon be wiped out after the government bought a load of helicopter gunships to strafe the unemployed charging through the streets armed with machetes.

Maybe the op should find a nice no welfare african country . He should move there with no money . Then he should try get a job and see how it fares out .
    He could then report back here if he livves a week and tell us what its like .

• Advertisement

I think it should be timed out
    a year or two and that's it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Poverty, death and destruction, not necessarily in that order.

Social welfare isn't just for wasters and skangers, y'know... Thousands and thousands of people have lost their jobs over the last 3 years, and they can't just walk into another job anymore, because the work isn't there. How do you expect them to survive?

Plus the Social Welfare money goes back into the economy (even the spongers have to buy stuff) so abolishing it would lead to shop closures and even more job losses.

(BTW I'm not a dole recipient, so this post isn't biased by that, I genuinely think that not all dole-recipients are spongers. I would be wholly in favour of cutting dole for long-term recipients who never worked or who never apply for anything though, as well as trying to cut down on fraud).

Ah, yeah, cause there are thousands of empty jobs out there, begging for people to apply and all that. :pac:

You clearly haven't had to apply for jobs any time recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

We would be dealing with the Great Irish Cheap Fags and Dutch Gold Famine of 2013-2015. Like in 1846, the lower classes would be condemed to wandering the lanes and dying in ditches for want of cider and fake Johnny Blues, suffering colulsions from the DTs.They'd be gathering outside the mansions of the rich in the hope of being tossed a smouldering fag butt.
    When hundreds of thousands have sobered up and quit, the government will order shipments of Indian Cigarettes and Beer, but alas it will be too little too late. The sponger class will be decimated.

So everyone on Social Welfare are sponging scum from the lower classes? :rolleyes:

What are colulsions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think it should be timed out
    a year or two and that's it
    Yea and the money saved can be used to police the results and set up soup kitchens.

How on Earth can people miss the significance of the fact that in 2001 the unemployment rate was 3.7%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Thousands of businesses would close in a matter of weeks and crime rates in the country would sky rocket

The Catholic Church would do quite well in the popularity stakes, because they'd be all over the situation like a rash, along with other religious bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Sin City wrote: »
    Another cut the dole thread (all of it in this case)

There is a lot more to dole in social welfare such as back to education allowance dissability allowances

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

(hypothetical of course)

My brother is in Singapore and they don't have a welfare system as such. They help you out in what you really need such as helping kids with school costs etc or something like that. This was told by my brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Crime.
    You take away the only means of money people get. They will turn to crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

You clearly haven't had to apply for jobs any time recently.
    no, you're right. 188 into my pocket every week, shur why would i look for a job?

• Advertisement
Advertisement