Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If the Social Welfare System was Abolished..

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

My guess would be that upwards of 100k people would leave the country,

And look for somewhere else with a generous welfare system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In anticipation, I'm going to corner the market in body-bags and see if I can get a grant from the IDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

If it were abolished I guess I wouldn't have to read another one of these crap, pointless threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

If the Dole was cut over night you would have an accelerated state of Darwinism in the country. Those who were too lazy or wernt clever enough to get a job and/or steal for a living would die out leaving behind a race of genetically superior beings....

the way it should be really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yea and the money saved can be used to police the results and set up soup kitchens.

How on Earth can people miss the significance of the fact that in 2001 the unemployment rate was 3.7%.

If you dig down though, for example Galway where I'm from had something like a 7% unemployment rate back in the early 2000's and by 2005-2006 before the recession the rate was around 9%

There were jobs at that time. My sister is a store manager and my friend was a store manager. They both had positions non-skilled and full time and could not fill them. Never did either. One was in Sligo, the other was in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

OP i have good news and bad news:
    The good news: Enda and co. have decided to implement your ideas with immediate effect.
    The bad news: Your employer has checked your browsing history and saw that you were on boards at 12:22 when you were meant to be working and now you're sacked.

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

If the Dole was cut over night you would have an accelerated state of Darwinism in the country. Those who were too lazy or wernt clever enough to get a job and/or steal for a living would die out leaving behind a race of genetically superior beings....

So a cross between the Famine & Medieval Serfdom, complete with workhouses & mass evictions. Rampant disease & death.

With working taxpayers living in an anarchic society, having to pay for private armed security, despite seeing little reductions in their tax burden after dole is abolished.

Anyone advocating "A modest proposal" by Jonathan Swift yet? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Insurance premiums would probably go up.

I'm not sure whether the outcome would be more like Mad Max, Braveheart, or 28 days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Viva la revolucion!
    woooooooooo woooooooooooooo nasty boy wooooooooooo woooooooo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I would be thankful that I built a shelter and have a shotgun and supplies in there.

The Z-Day lads would love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There would probably still be a large number of thickos with jobs, the ones that got them because they were related to some other thicko on the payroll.

It might be survival of the thickest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Ahh Dole Threads, they really bring out the best and brightest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I reckon people would get a job, start working to get a bit of money..

But what about people like me who has worked for the last 17 years out of 17 working years life and has just lost there job due to company closing and has signed on for the first time in my life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

A safety net to protect people from becoming destitute when they fall on hard times is a fantastic use of tax money.

If they abolished it, I'd protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There'd be no marches or protests as everyone would be at their cash in hand jobs and wouldn't have the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I reckon people would get a job, start working to get a bit of money..

But what about people like me who has worked for the last 17 years out of 17 working years life and has just lost there job due to company closing and has signed on for the first time in my life?

Don't worry, private charities would support you... apparently.

The fact that private charities struggle even now to supplement the existent social welfare support the government provide to the standard they themselves deem necessary is really neither here nor there, my good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

It would have a negative effect on the property rental market anyway...no more Rent Supplement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Jesus Nut wrote: »
    It's Budget 2013 and Irelands Social Welfare System is totally abolished..
    (hypothetical of course)

In your most honest and rational belief, what do you think would be the consequences ?

Its a thought I have often had...!

... well what do you think 400,000 people with no money and no way of feednig their families are going to do at the nearest available Tesco...?

For you stole Travelyan's corn, so the young might see the morn....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I would think...
    Emmigration, Exploitation and Crime would increase rapidly.
    If you are going to include Medical Care then increase in death rates, young and old.
    Basically you are then looking the survival of the fittest in every sense of the word with a greater social divide.

Fact is if there was no social welfare system we would probably be a third world country. What we would gain on the swings we would greater lose on the roundabouts.

But like everything a social welfare system must be operated as efficiently as possible. What i do believe is that the welfare system in Ireland is far far too open season and that is not just the Dept SW but the HSE.

Our local radio station had several reports from several hair salons in various towns around the county of the HSE covering hair certain types womens hair do's (braiding etc) which cost normally €300 a pop.

Just the other day in our local village chemist, a millionaire was getting his monthly medication covered by the medical card. Granted the man is over 70 but in all fairness he can well afford probably to buy tablets for half the parish let alone himself.

So the best answer i can give you would be if you scrap the welfare system as a whole you will have Angela's Ashes part 2 but if you keep it as is we will continue to haemorrhage money.
    The happy medium is to run an efficient system but with the buffoons of politicians in charge of the Government Departments and their hierarchical overpaid army of civil servants feathering their own nests and scratching their arse then things will continue to be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

Wow, so many replies to this topic!

The whole country would just go MAD... mabey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

It could be done,first we would need a massive police force and a sh1t lot more prisons. Example China have no social welfare and there's is a relatively ordered society. All those 400,000 unemployed could be employed as Garde and prison officers, so whay are we waiting bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Mini prisons would have to be built in every area around the country.

Businesses would collapse and a massive black market would emerge.

Gouberment would have pay massive amounts of OT to police and army.

People would starve to death.

Kidnappings of the rich on a daily basis.

New volent political groups would emerge.

To top it all off Enda Kenny gives himself and ministers and all TDs a 100% pay increase!

Mad max is what it would come close too I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

If you stopped the dole,contaray to popular belief, you are immediately taking a vast amount of money out of the economy. Those people who do their weekly shopping whether it be the local shops, off licence or bookies, those businesses will lose a load of business and many will be forced to close thus losing more jobs and crippling the economy further.

Ponder this one while you are at it..what would happen if those politicians, bankers, developers and all those on high incomes who were the ones actually responsible for the crisis were to have their huge wages and bonuses stopped, what would happen? Or is it more entertaining fantasizing about the destitution of the more vulnerable members of society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

It'll be like one of those Zombie movies, what's it called, yeah 28 Weeks Later. All the people on the social welfare will start feeding off each other and just die off because of the hunger after a couple of months. It's be great, no more filthy scangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

WumBuster wrote: »
    If you stopped the dole,contaray to popular belief, you are immediately taking a vast amount of money out of the economy. Those people who do their weekly shopping whether it be the local shops, off licence or bookies, those businesses will lose a load of business and many will be forced to close thus losing more jobs and crippling the economy further.

Ponder this one while you are at it..what would happen if those politicians, bankers, developers and all those on high incomes who were the ones actually responsible for the crisis were to have their huge wages and bonuses stopped, what would happen? Or is it more entertaining fantasizing about the destitution of the more vulnerable members of society?

There has to be a proportional reduction in tax and spending at the same time. For it to work, you can't just cut social welfare and not cut tax also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

MaxSteele wrote: »
    A vast echo of "AH HEYOR, LEAVE EH OUHHT' would bellow across Dublin anyway.
    My nomination for Boards Post of the Year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

see The Dark Knight Rises? where Bane lets Gotham loose on itself to rip the rich out of their homes, martial law, people living in temporary housing, militia on the streets, chaos basically.

actually that sounds cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Well, if the Social Welfare system was abolished you would instantly have all the millions of euro's that make up those payments vanish from the economy. Local businesses would fail, many more people would lose their jobs, hundreds of thousands of people would become homeless etc

Alan, 4FM midnight caller, would agree with this. He does call it "the money go-round".
    I like Alan. He makes sense.

Advertisement