Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hen Plague

Options
  • 10-09-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Athlone has been hit with this dreaded hen plague.

It seems that now almost every weekend, we are subjected to this awful plague of drunken giggling bunnyear clad young ladies, stumbling in and out of the left bank pubs. I counted four different parties last weekend, making a total ass of themselves.

Its enough to make a grown man cry.

How do we get rid of this menace I ask ?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

martin1 wrote: »

It seems that now almost every weekend, we are subjected to this awful plague of drunken giggling bunnyear clad young ladies, stumbling in and out of the left bank pubs. I counted four different parties last weekend, making a total ass of themselves.

What's wrong with bringing a bit of money into the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Nothing wrong with bringing a bit of extra clunge into the town at weekends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I see no problem with hen parties in Athlone, they're only having a bit of fun and the pubs here could certainly use with that extra bit of business anyway. I was up in Carrick-On-Shannon one weekend last summer and the whole town was full of them, and the pubs were raking-in the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

ride all of them !!!!!
    badly !
    they will never come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

So fleece them and ride them

Then they wont return ?

What kind of sick dudes reply here :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

What kind of grown men complains about loose women and businesses making a living from people having fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I wish we could get rid of the menace of people referring to the Far Side as "the left bank" ! .:mad:

When I saw this post first I thought it said "hen plaque" and that a dental problem was afflicting Athlone's hen population.....

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

Long Gone wrote: »
    I wish we could get rid of the menace of people referring to the Far Side as "the left bank" ! .:mad:

This drives me mental.

1 - Its not Paris
    2 - Its not the left bank of the Shannon

Long Gone wrote: »

When I saw this post first I thought it said "hen plaque" and that a dental problem was afflicting Athlone's hen population.....

I wish I could get rid of the menace of people referring to the west side as "the Far Side":mad:

There may very well be a dental problem among Athlones avian population and this would indeed be a serious source of concern.

But I was refering to the featherless fiends who frequent our hallowed establishments at weekends .

How or why did it start being called the left-bank? I actually thought people called it that, but I'm not from around here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Rasmus wrote: »
    How or why did it start being called the left-bank? I actually thought people called it that, but I'm not from around here.

It's the West Bank as far as I know. I thought it was called that because it's the west bank of the river. There used to be a cafe called "The Left Bank Bistro" so maybe it is the Left Bank.

It looked to be becoming a nice area for a while but now you have the likes of hen parties and one of the pubs is often taken over by followers of a GAA team. I don't like to whinge about specific groups of people or whatever but the area has gone from being mainly used by a quieter crowd and a lot of tourists to being a mainstay for young groups of drunken ramblers. Not to mention taxis just parking wherever on a very narrow one-way.

Driving down there is a pain because people just step out on the road, it's unclear where the road ends and the footpath begins. After 9 or 10 when everyone's drunk it's worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Kurz wrote: »
    It's the West Bank as far as I know. I thought it was called that because it's the west bank of the river. There used to be a cafe called "The Left Bank Bistro" so maybe it is the Left Bank.

It looked to be becoming a nice area for a while but now you have the likes of hen parties and one of the pubs is often taken over by followers of a GAA team. I don't like to whinge about specific groups of people or whatever but the area has gone from being mainly used by a quieter crowd and a lot of tourists to being a mainstay for young groups of drunken ramblers. Not to mention taxis just parking wherever on a very narrow one-way.

Driving down there is a pain because people just step out on the road, it's unclear where the road ends and the footpath begins. After 9 or 10 when everyone's drunk it's worse.

Still a lovely area and great fun for having a pint. Anyone dumb enough to drive by it at night is a fool though (exemption given to this if Grace Road is not sufficient to get where you need to be). Its great to see one area thats not been hit so hard by the recession

Anyone dumb enough to drive by it at night is a fool though

There's no alternative route for Parnell Square, the Dean Crowe, Connaught Street and a million other places unless you head down the accommodation road and back up magazine road. Hardly a fool for not adding a tour of half the town to your journey. That said, I've always thought making Pearse Street a one-way was a bad idea.

Why would you not drive there at night? Picking up a takeaway from the Thai wouldn't really be possible otherwise. Am I thinking of the right area - the liturgical bookshops, Indian, Thai and Lebanese restaurant row?
    It seems very pleasant with little traffic problems!

I agree with Kurz. Its dangerous driving at weekends down there.

It would be nice if this area was made a traffic free zone, with the one-way system on King St........ sorry, I mean Pearse st reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 katicasi

FOUR are you serious? On the average Saturday night in Kilkenny city (no digs) there are four per square inch, and they're not alone their male equivalents join them thereby doubling the number of newbies in town...and what harm, they keep the pubs, restaurants, shops, paintballing clubs, hotels and taxi companies going!!! Rock on folks and don't forget to come back!!!:P

katicasi wrote: »
    FOUR are you serious? On the average Saturday night in Kilkenny city (no digs) there are four per square inch

Believe me I know all about Kilkenny's reputation for hens and stags. Its like a mini Newcastle there on Saturday nights. Swarms of drunken hens stumbling from one pub to the next. So is this what the West Side of town should aspire too?

You cant be serious :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

It is in fact the Right Bank. The sides of a river left or Right are determined by looking in the direction in which the river is flowing. Stand on the old Bridge and look towards the Weir Wall. The West bank is on the Right. It was called the Left Bank because there is a well known Left Bank in Paris and someone decided it would be a good method of marketing the area to describe it as the Left Bank.

It was called the Left Bank because there is a well known Left Bank in Paris and someone decided it would be a good method of marketing the area to describe it as the Left Bank.

It worked!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Believe me I know all about Kilkenny's reputation for hens and stags. Its like a mini Newcastle there on Saturday nights. Swarms of drunken hens stumbling from one pub to the next. So is this what the West Side of town should aspire too?

You cant be serious :(

So if it was up to you, we will have the place back into vacant buildings, or property that changed ownership every 6 months? Is Fawls in O'Connell Street (Shamrock Bar) still standing?

This is what is bringing the money into the town. If you want to avoid these areas, you have absolutely no excuse and you can do so.

For once, it is good that you hear outsiders say, "hey , Athlone ain't that bad for going out".

How is it any different or worse than a swarm of drunken knackers fighting over X,y,z at a Chipper at 2 in the morning?

• Advertisement

So if it was up to you, we will have the place back into vacant buildings, or property that changed ownership every 6 months? Is Fawls in O'Connell Street (Shamrock Bar) still standing?

This is what is bringing the money into the town. If you want to avoid these areas, you have absolutely no excuse and you can do so.

For once, it is good that you hear outsiders say, "hey , Athlone ain't that bad for going out".

How is it any different or worse than a swarm of drunken knackers fighting over X,y,z at a Chipper at 2 in the morning?

What a load of utter nonsense. The area wasn't vacant buildings or "knackers fighting each other outside chippers" It's obvious the OP likes the area and doesn't want to avoid it. He just regrets the fact that it's becoming a shítty place to go out like the rest of the town. And if you think that money being spent on Blue WKD in a few pubs is changing the economy of the town you're deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

What a load of utter nonsense. The area wasn't vacant buildings or "knackers fighting each other outside chippers" It's obvious the OP likes the area and doesn't want to avoid it. He just regrets the fact that it's becoming a shítty place to go out like the rest of the town. And if you think that money being spent on Blue WKD in a few pubs is changing the economy of the town you're deluded.
    Hotels restaurants and even the local shops do well from hen parties. It's not just the pubs. Be nice if we could get some more tourism into town not just the buses that stop for a half hour down by the barracks but proper overnight tourists.
    Preferably tourists with big fat wallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Dammit. I thought "Hen Plague" was going to be something much more Father Ted than this.

Is Fawls in O'Connell Street (Shamrock Bar) still standing?

Your geoghraphy is slightly askew there, Fawls was not on O'Connell St. it was in Connaught St. I should know its where I got all my voblexxeseses...in a matchbox at that !!

Its no longer standing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

It is in fact the Right Bank. The sides of a river left or Right are determined by looking in the direction in which the river is flowing. Stand on the old Bridge and look towards the Weir Wall. The West bank is on the Right. It was called the Left Bank because there is a well known Left Bank in Paris and someone decided it would be a good method of marketing the area to describe it as the Left Bank.

Some parts of it more resemble the West Bank!

It should still be in Roscommon. Its on the Connacht side of the river

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Some parts of it more resemble the West Bank!

It should still be in Roscommon. Its on the Connacht side of the river

Let's keep the Golan Battery Heights in Leinsterstine for now! :pac:

Advertisement