Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

android WiFi

• 10-09-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if they support android in the WiFi network I've asked the past 2 year's and they say they're working on it. I don't understand how it can take so long to get it working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

On their website it says it does. It's strange cause I've asked two years ago (I had symbian phone back then) and they said they only supported Android and iOS.

I think it's just the general 'ah sure everyone has an iPhone' stereotype, which is actually completely wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Nervosa

iOS runs, effectively on one handset; the iPhone. Android is running across a range of handsets and tablets. Could this be the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I posted a tutorial for this before. The main issue is lack of native proxy support in Android but this can be solved. Phone does need to be rooted however.

Nervosa wrote: »
    iOS runs, effectively on one handset; the iPhone. Android is running across a range of handsets and tablets. Could this be the problem?

It's the same as Windows in the PC world, though.

Anyway here's the ucc website with how to get it working on android:

http://www.ucc.ie/en/sit/network/wireless/smartphonetablet/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Mario007 wrote: »
    It's the same as Windows in the PC world, though.

Anyway here's the ucc website with how to get it working on android:

http://www.ucc.ie/en/sit/network/wireless/smartphonetablet/

right ill try that next time I'm on campus, I dont really want to root my phone

• Advertisement

calnand wrote: »
    right ill try that next time I'm on campus, I dont really want to root my phone

I tried to get my phone registered today (Motorola RAZR). It connected alright but then wasn't able to get past their proxies. The dude at the desk said they have some problems with android and told me he was sorry. I'll try to go back next time to a different guy, maybe that will yield a different result.

It is still remarkable that UCC wi-fi doesn't fully support android. I mean there are more people with android devices than iOS devices out there. Imagine if you had an android tab (Asus Transformer for example) as a replacement for your laptop. You'd be screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Mario007 wrote: »
    I tried to get my phone registered today (Motorola RAZR). It connected alright but then wasn't able to get past their proxies. The dude at the desk said they have some problems with android and told me he was sorry. I'll try to go back next time to a different guy, maybe that will yield a different result.

It is still remarkable that UCC wi-fi doesn't fully support android. I mean there are more people with android devices than iOS devices out there. Imagine if you had an android tab (Asus Transformer for example) as a replacement for your laptop. You'd be screwed.

I'm not sure why my post above went unnoticed.

The main issue here is the lack of native proxy support in Android. This has nothing to do with UCC. It would not be possible to provide campus wide internet without the use of a Proxy.

Just root your phone and install Proxy Droid and you will get it working without issue.

Redisle wrote: »
    I'm not sure why my post above went unnoticed.

The main issue here is the lack of native proxy support in Android. This has nothing to do with UCC. It would not be possible to provide campus wide internet without the use of a Proxy.

Just root your phone and install Proxy Droid and you will get it working without issue.

I really don't wanna root my phone seeing that it's still only 3 months old and within the warranty.

However, my question how come Android phone works in CIT with their network infrastructure but the same can't be said in UCC?

Advertisement