Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which laws are the most ignored

• 10-09-2012 12:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I was served a bottle of wine last night at 10:30pm in my local Centra, no questions asked, I didn't even think of about the time until I got home.

Which laws are the most socially acceptable at present to be ignored, these are the most obvious ones that I can think of.

Dog Licence
    Never had one although I've had many dogs.
    Never known anyone have one either.

Served after hours
    Not sure who is liable, probably the publican but we've all done it.

Illegal downloading
    My bottle of wine was for watching Prometheus, enough said.

Letting NCT lapse
    Sorry Guard, it's booked in, booking it in, all slots taken.

Getting car signed off the road
    Even easier if you've a friend whose a guard but not too difficult either.

Not paying TV Licence
    A true perk of living in rented accommodation.

Getting nixers done
    Yes, I'd like you to charge me an extra 23% for the exact same work.

No L-plates on a motorway
    Take down L-plates, problem magically fixed

I know some people live by stricter moral codes than others & never skate close to the line while others take the shortcut approach.
    What laws do you see broken on a daily basis that go unpunished ?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Speed limits. 10-25% above the limit is quite normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Confab wrote: »
    Speed limits. 10-25% above the limit is quite normal.

Any rule of the road, really, from speed limits to parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Downloading pirate stuff
    Dog licence
    Mobile phone when driving
    Speeding
    Drinking after hours

They are the most commonly ignored rules in order most to least ignored. The list tends to change after that depending where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Show me someone who doesn't roll stop signs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I was served a bottle of wine last night at 10:30pm in my local Centra, no questions asked, I didn't even think of about the time until I got home.

Which laws are the most socially acceptable at present to be ignored, these are the most obvious ones that I can think of.

Dog Licence

Served after hours

Illegal downloading

Letting NCT lapse

Not paying TV Licence

Getting nixers done

I know some people live by stricter moral codes than others & never skate close to the line while others take the shortcut approach.

We've got three dogs and three dog-licences, but only because our neighbours are complaining kuntz who tipped off the local council.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours wife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Public intoxication

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Chatting or even texting on mobiles while driving cars/vans and tractors(!)

Auld and not so auld fellas having few and driving home at 5mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Texting/facebook chatting while driving.
    Afterhours drinking.
    Speeding.
    Warning oncoming cars of speeding cameras.

Double white lines on roads are only advisory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Cyclists using footpaths and going through red lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Littering

The concept of public bins escapes people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

Hogging the middle land on the N7, when there's no one in the slow lane, or like the moron in the gold coloured car on the M7 northbound, hogging the fast lane....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Big sign
    NO U-TURN

Everyone does it I don't cuz I have **** luck I know il do it one day and blue lights will pop up behind me

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

People have absolutely no idea how to use roundabouts properly, no idea about which lane they should be in, how far their car is in other peoples lanes, or indicating when entering or leaving a roundabout.

In fact just indicating/signalling in general. Most people are incapbable of it. Its a driving penalty in US and most other countries, dont think its even in Irish Road Law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Jay walking. It was introduced many years ago but everyone ignores it..... even the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

martomcg wrote: »
    People have absolutely no idea how to use roundabouts properly, no idea about which lane they should be in, how far their car is in other peoples lanes, or indicating when entering or leaving a roundabout.

In fact just indicating/signalling in general. Most people are incapbable of it. Its a driving penalty in US and most other countries, dont think its even in Irish Road Law.

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Possession of marijuana is routinely ignored. Myself and another boardsie were once waved at by two gardaí whilst rolling a joint at a particular music festival...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

This should be punishable by death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Blasphemy

But i'm sure whenever God is finished whatever she's doing in the celestial gay sauna she'll get around to a bit of vigilanteism on that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Afterhours drinking.
    Speeding.

This doesn't surprise me as much as it should, the facebook thing. One armed drivers I call them- phone in one hand, the other on the steering wheel.

Often I'm standing at a pedestrian crossing and the amount of people that realise they're in the wrong lane and zip across to the right one to go round the roundabout, or aren't watching when they should go, ignore the pedestrian crossing and drive on thru it, and then there are the drivers with the phone stuck to their ear that I'd love to get a photo of, but they're usually going too fast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Declaring goods at customs
    Under paying VAT (but only against the law if you are NOT a sitting TD)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

martomcg wrote: »

They should really put those road safety adverts on TV for a while explaining how roundabouts work. So few people know which lane to be in and when to indicate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

They should really put those road safety adverts on TV for a while explaining how roundabouts work. So few people know which lane to be in and when to indicate.

There is/was an ad on how to drive on a roundabout from the RSA a while back. But with sky plus, who watches adds anymore?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

"sorry sir, i can't serve you any more, you appear to be intoxicated..."
    ya wha?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

ejmaztec wrote: »
    We've got three dogs and three dog-licences, but only because our neighbours are complaining kuntz who tipped off the local council.

You'd be perfectly justified in burning his house to the ground & letting your dogs piss on his twitching ember of a corpse, others may find that a bit of an over-reaction but I think it's fair & reasoned.
    There's no sadder example of a human being than a squealing neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

This should be punishable by death.

It already is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭veryangryman

jessiejam wrote: »
    There is/was an ad on how to drive on a roundabout from the RSA a while back. But with sky plus, who watches adds anymore?:D
    That ad shows a perfect 4 exit roundabout with 2 lanes. Fair enough there are plenty of dopes that can't even use that but they really should use examples like walkinstown etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Footpath Parking !
    How can I get from a to b if you plonk your metal tin box directly in the navigation throughfare? You don't see me sitting on the road do you?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Confab wrote: »
    It already is.

Except they have a chance of taking you with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CainMarko

Nct/Tax lapse
    No Dog Licence
    Always going above the speed limit till i see the sign for the speed cameras :D
    Have no tv license
    Cant think of anything else really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

ejmaztec wrote: »

You'd be perfectly justified in burning his house to the ground & letting your dogs piss on his twitching ember of a corpse, others may find that a bit of an over-reaction but I think it's fair & reasoned.
    There's no sadder example of a human being than a squealing neighbour.

That and a neighbour with noisy dogs... Shoot the owners not the dogs....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

That ad shows a perfect 4 exit roundabout with 2 lanes. Fair enough there are plenty of dopes that can't even use that but they really should use examples like walkinstown etc
    Your talking to a Cork woman here:p. What is it about the walkinstown roundabout?

Im thinking it might be similar to the kinsale road roundabout/magic roundabout in Cork. No one knows where they're going, all the lanes cross over into one another.
    Bad road marking on the councils part there, more than the bad driving by road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

I work 30sec's from the Walkinstown round-a-bout... the 5pm rush is great crack!
    There are no rules when it comes to it. 6 exits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Served after hours
    Not in Marks & Spencers Grafton Street it isn't!
    Taken last Christmas

http://i45.tinypic.com/2h3v2ps.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Jay walking. It was introduced many years ago but everyone ignores it..... even the Gardai.

It's a mandatory court appearance. I'd say the lahv lahn would be inundated if it was enforced.

Might be a ticket in Dublin. But deffo summons in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Afterhours drinking.
    Speeding.

There's a law against that!?

I get pretty disappointed if I pass a speed camera van without any of the oncoming cars flashing the lights. It's just expected.

Company laws, banking laws, except where amounts of less than €20K are involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

later12 wrote: »
    Not in Marks & Spencers Grafton Street it isn't!
    Taken last Christmas

http://i45.tinypic.com/2h3v2ps.jpg

Fuckin joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Dog Licence

Served after hours

Illegal downloading

Letting NCT lapse

Not paying TV Licence

Getting nixers done

Ah according to this i am a criminal and will get put in jail for 8 very serious offences... although its more important to stop me buying cupla tineens after ten, but then the lad selling coke outside the door is simply told to go home... Bastads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

"Illegal" downloading
    TV Licence
    Lapsed car tax
    Nixers
    Public drinking (depending on the circumstances of where you are/going)
    Provisional Licence drivers on they're own.
    Drug possession if small enough for personal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Public Intoxication- Illegal yet encouraged

No dog licence- The kids make a circle around the dog warden van until the dog is let free

Speeding- Sorry guard, I didnt know this was dualcarriageway i though it was motorway

Modified car- I only installed this engine today and was going to ring the insurance company

Tax- Its in the post

NCT- Its booked in for next week have everything done for it

Running out in front of cars just yards from a crossing- No explanation, GRINDS MY GEARS THOUGH

Insurance- It was after 12 when the payment went from the bank guard so its tomorrow they send the insurance disc

After hours drinking- Ah well if you gonna be caught ya might as well get caught smoking in the pub aswell *throws out round of ashtrays*

Underage Drinking- lost the age card, had to bring the drivers licence *found out how to use layers on photoshop*

Public Urination- Ah ill clean it, ill clean it i was only messing

Driving with no licence- Ill drop it in in ten days i am "P.Sherman- 42 Wallaby way... blah blah"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Underage Drinking- lost the age card, had to bring the drivers licence *found out how to use layers on photoshop*

Buying drink for underagers is a similar one, I think there was a thread about it not too long ago. Most people would have had a drink bought for them before they turned 18, whether it was in a pub, at home or at a family do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

Our local is out in the middle of nowhere and literally has no closing time. They just lock the doors when it gets late and keep serving until everyone is gone home! Also, after a certain time the regulars start smoking in the bar. I think because it's not near any towns the owner isn't too worried about getting caught.

Also, learner drivers driving alone- "I just dropped my Dad/Mam/Aunt off I'm going straight home guard" or "I'm on my way in to do the test!"

Aside from driving with no licence or insurance *waves index finger in angry fashion*

Most of the "laws" let slide are fairly harmless or victimless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Most of the "laws" let slide are fairly harmless or victimless.
    78% of drivers exceed the speed limit. This is not a victimless crime. Apart from placing vulnerable people at risk and in fear of their lives, it encourages others to do likewise and contributes to the awful death and injury toll on the roads.

opti0nal wrote: »
    78% of drivers exceed the speed limit. This is not a victimless crime. Apart from placing vulnerable people at risk and in fear of their lives, it encourages others to do likewise and contributes to the awful death and injury toll on the roads.

I'm not condoning speeding. Likewise I doubt most people here would either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Well in trinity college I wore my sword and they still didn't give me a glass of wine as per the law:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours wife
    I can't find that one on http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bingobars wrote: »
    Show me someone who doesn't roll stop signs....
    or avoid driving on hatched traffic 'islands' when doing a right turn
    three exit roundabouts, and there are lots of them - according to the letter of the law I should NOT indicate if turning right.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Footpath Parking !
    How can I get from a to b if you plonk your metal tin box directly in the navigation throughfare? You don't see me sitting on the road do you?!
    not sure here, but in the UK parking meters just about pay for kerb and footpath damage caused by illegal parking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement