Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which laws are the most ignored

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

Drivers with only a provisional license driving unaccompanied on the roads,

the classic example being the provisional driver driving unaccompanied up to a driving test, failing the test and driving home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

The blanket 30Km speed limit in Dublin city centre.

Im embarrassed for who ever came up with that one. Nobody pays any attention to it at all. Its never been enforced either afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Gravity... Feckin aeroplanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Plenty of young lads driving 'round my area with no tax,nct,insurance,and licence.

And they've cut-off exhausts, modified reg plates, modified lights, you name it.

Last week i was coming out of the local and one of the lads drove by and used some sort of alarm louder and higher pitched than any car horn, scared the sh1te out of the lassies:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Cyclists using footpaths and going through red lights

Motorists using footpaths and going through red lights.

Pedestrians walking in cycle paths, J-walking and walking against a red man.

Every single type of road user & many basic common sense rules.

It really puzzles me why cyclists get singled out for this type of bullsh1t. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Can't believe no one's mentioned the blasphemy law in Ireland.

Not endorsing it or anything, just the fact that it exists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Driving the wrong way around mini-roundabouts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the statistic used to be that 90% of pillion passengers on motorbikes who claimed off insurance were with L drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I certainly have an ignorance of laws, it's a genuine ignorance, as in, I tend not to violently attack people with a hammer because I personally think it's morally wrong, a bit of an extreme example I know.

Was quite drunk there a few weeks ago and we were drinking before heading into town, garda pulled in on us as we were walking across a bridge, they said you're not allowed to be drinking and walking along here, we just said sorry, didn't think it was wrong, they said it is here, poured our beers on the the ground and said head off, we went on to where we were going and that was that.

Still think it's not illegal to drink outside, it's just at the gardas discretion, honestly don't know the exact black or white of the law but open to correction, its down to the individual garda to find it unacceptable or not yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Pretty sure drinking in public places is illegal in almost everywhere, it was rolled in on bye-laws afaik? Still, it's ignored a lot of the time if you're not causing a fuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Littering

The concept of public bins escapes people.

People dropping fag butts are the worst. FFS, if I can put mine in the bin, you can too.
    the statistic used to be that 90% of pillion passengers on motorbikes who claimed off insurance were with L drivers

Ah sure, aren't 72% of statistics made up on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I suspect the serious lack of proper road markings is a factor as to why so many haven't a clue when it comes to roundabouts.

Not nearly enough road signs with place names and the direction they're in around Dublin. Lived here most of my life and I still find myself being forced to guess when I'm headed to a place I'm not familiar with. Must be a nightmare for non Dubliners. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I certainly have an ignorance of laws, it's a genuine ignorance, as in, I tend not to violently attack people with a hammer because I personally think it's morally wrong, a bit of an extreme example I know.

Was quite drunk there a few weeks ago and we were drinking before heading into town, garda pulled in on us as we were walking across a bridge, they said you're not allowed to be drinking and walking along here, we just said sorry, didn't think it was wrong, they said it is here, poured our beers on the the ground and said head off, we went on to where we were going and that was that.

Still think it's not illegal to drink outside, it's just at the gardas discretion, honestly don't know the exact black or white of the law but open to correction, its down to the individual garda to find it unacceptable or not yeah.

I have been stopped like this on the way to the nightclub on many occasions... never told to pour a beer, told not to spill it, not to waste it, and not to be seen beside the road drinking, implying dont be getting drunk near traffic :P

In fact 2 guards jumped in for a picture with us at one stage :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

IRcolm wrote: »
    Can't believe no one's mentioned the blasphemy law in Ireland.

Jesus Mary and Joseph, I forgot about that one! Christ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The law about not being an asshole.

Ok, it's not a law, but it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Littering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

ejmaztec wrote: »
    We've got three dogs and three dog-licences, but only because our neighbours are complaining kuntz who tipped off the local council.

My neighbour reported my wee dog - who can be a handful admittedly - bit I would never never lift the phone to ring and make a complaint about someone's dog. Baffling :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I know a scumbag in Dublin who drives around every weekend hammered drunk with no tax, insurance or NCT. He's been doing it without consequence for over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

Murder and Taxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Public urination

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

The Light bulb ban.
    Really 100w light bulbs are banned under law !!
    and now 75w and 60w are now also illegal but i can go to most supermarket or DIY shops and find contraband .
    People finding loopholes in buying Industrial bulbs is crazy the i don't like those new bulbs attitude in Ireland is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Imagine being able to walk around blind drunk in public then take a piss on the bins beside Londis on Dame street. Flucking brilliant.

We're lucky we live in such a care free society :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Public indecency.... Is there something for lewd acts too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Kev.OC wrote: »
    There's a law against that!?

I get pretty disappointed if I pass a speed camera van without any of the oncoming cars flashing the lights. It's just expected.

i find that people will flash you- IF its the private company vans
    but yet if it's a garda van it does not happen

is that just me - or have others noticed this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i find that people will flash you- IF its the private company vans
    but yet if it's a garda van it does not happen

is that just me - or have others noticed this?

But isnt every speed van owned by a private company? I dont any of the Gardai vans are equipped with speed monitoring equipment, because they're just normal vans...

Anyway: I never flash people about oncoming speed vans, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

But isnt every speed van owned by a private company? I dont any of the Gardai vans are equipped with speed monitoring equipment, because they're just normal vans...

Anyway: I never flash people about oncoming speed vans, :D

no i mean the un marked transit vans the grada have separate from the private company
    they do have speed equipment - you can see it
    the vans are white - red and blue

very surprised you have not seen them - always on the n11

maybe that's why no one is flashing - no one is seeing them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I drove unaccompanied on a L license. It was the only way I could get enough experience to pass the test quickly. Although I never ventured too far from my housing estate.

I usually drive above the speed limit. I can say I have decent observation and reactions, if the road is empty, why not step on it?!

I may be guilty of texting while driving...albeit I only really text while waiting at traffic lights.

I have downloaded some music illegaly, so has the rest of the world!

I can't think of anymore... I mostly live by the rules...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

dj jarvis wrote: »
    no i mean the un marked transit vans the grada have separate from the private company
    they do have speed equipment - you can see it
    the vans are white - red and blue

very surprised you have not seen them - always on the n11

maybe that's why no one is flashing - no one is seeing them :D

There's always one by the Quays in front of Guinness brewry. White unmarked transit van (looks like any other transit van except when you look closely at the back window, you'll spot the camera!). Very stealthy if you don't know what to look for but once you spot it, its hard to miss.
    Got flashed by it 3 weeks ago. Still waiting for the post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Doop wrote: »
    The blanket 30Km speed limit in Dublin city centre.

Im embarrassed for who ever came up with that one. Nobody pays any attention to it at all. Its never been enforced either afaik.

I saw a guard out with a radar gun last week on the quays. Like shooting fish in a barrel, I'd say I was over the speed limit on the bicycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Sleepy wrote: »
    Possession of marijuana is routinely ignored. Myself and another boardsie were once waved at by two gardaí whilst rolling a joint at a particular music festival...

Must of got lucky cos a friend of mine was caught with one in his hand and enough in his pocket for another at Oxegen a few years back. They took his name and address but he thought that nothing would happen. 8 weeks later he got a summons to Naas District Court where the residing judge is well well known for his anti-drugs stance. He pleaded guilty but still ended up getting fined to the tune of €1500. Those two joints were dam expensive, €750 a piece.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

RATM wrote: »
    Must of got lucky cos a friend of mine was caught with one in his hand and enough in his pocket for another at Oxegen a few years back. They took his name and address but he thought that nothing would happen. 8 weeks later he got a summons to Naas District Court where the residing judge is well well known for his anti-drugs stance. He pleaded guilty but still ended up getting fined to the tune of €1500. Those two joints were dam expensive, €750 a piece.

Ridiculous. I remember the guards walking around in plainclothes spying through tents and trying to do people for pittens worth in the arena. Like mammy's boys at their first big boy party, didn't fit in at all.

F*cking personal use amounts and they extort the poor fecker. I hate the way money is used by the law to punish people. Completely wrong and useless message to send to stop people who participate in a recreational vice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Ridiculous. I remember the guards walking around in plainclothes spying through tents and trying to do people for pittens worth in the arena. Like mammy's boys at their first big boy party, didn't fit in at all.

F*cking personal use amounts and they extort the poor fecker. I hate the way money is used by the law to punish people. Completely wrong and useless message to send to stop people who participate in a recreational vice.

And respect for the law diminishes even more so at everyone of these pointless charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

RATM wrote: »
    I know, a flatmate of mine got collared in a similar fashion. Ended up having to attend a drugs awareness course in exchange for a clean record.

Mad story: about ten years ago at Oxygen we spotted plain clothes combing through the tents a couple of camps over, I gathered up some ten and twenty spots off my friends that smoke and made off casually towards the toilets. Half way there I realised what I was now carrying: individually wrapped deals. Not my cleverest move but I got lucky and no-one stopped me. Had a beer with some randomers up near the toilets discussing the fact we could clearly make out who were the plain clothes cops while watching them search our camp, let them move on a fair bit whilst finishing my beer then strolled back down to camp as the man who'd saved everyone's hash. Good feeling :)

Heard later that night from some girls camped beside us that the cops had taken a few quarters off of them but after taking their names, one of them had "accidentally" dropped one of them whilst walking off. Reckon one of the girls must've given the guard a nice smile and he decided not to totally ruin their weekend!

Advertisement