Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are those hut type things near Annacotty

• 10-09-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

As per the title does anyone know what the hut type things located near Annacotty are or what they were used for. See map below. I've also included some Google streetview captures, I'll try to get some proper pictures later.

click pics for links to maps.
    Huts3.jpg

Huts1.jpg

Huts2.jpg

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Always wondered that too h3000!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Once upon a time that whole area was an estate belonging to a family, so what is on the map could possibly be buildings still standing from that time.

Similar to how the Baggot estate beside Ballinacurra gardens was once the grounds of one house and if you go to the centre of the little forest in there you will find the ruins of the house or rather what is now left of the ruins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yep always wondered the same when I was driving past on the motorway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

They remind me of a small gun powder mill :D
    gunpowder_mills4.jpg

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

From the distance (driving along the motorway) and from the photo's, I gotta say that they don't look all that old....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Delphi91 wrote: »
    From the distance (driving along the motorway) and from the photo's, I gotta say that they don't look all that old....

The red brick and slate type roofing could see it being anything between 10 years old to 100 years old to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I wound have thought they where just shelter for animals. They don't look very old to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Kess73 wrote: »
    The red brick and slate type roofing could see it being anything between 10 years old to 100 years old to be fair.

OK well that totally throws out my suggestion then. When I read the OP, to me they looked like these-

Craggaunowen.jpg

Crannógs. Guess not then! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

apparently they were pig stys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Thanks for the answers people. I always taught they looked a bit too "fancy" for animal shelters but I suppose they could be alright.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

OK well that totally throws out my suggestion then. When I read the OP, to me they looked like these-

Craggaunowen.jpg

Crannógs. Guess not then! :(

I always thought they looked like Crannogs too!

But ones restored by McInerneys circa 2002

Advertisement