Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm help needed

Options
  • 10-09-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi there. So I was at home a few nights ago and heard a strange whining noise coming from where the internal alarm is. So upon checking it out I noticed that the digital readout on the keypad was completely dead and this bizarre noise was the alarm system attempting to go off!

I could see no reason why it should, but without the keypad begin active, I can't turn it on or off. In the end I had to disconnect the battery and turned the relevant fuse off.

The alarm is currently non-functional and since then the motion sensor light out the back garden has been on constantly. :confused:

The alarm system looks really old (the alarm company on the box outside says D-Tect). I've only been in the house 3 years so no clue how old it is.

Theres sensors on a patio door, a wooden hall door, 2 on the front room window and 1 on the kitchen window. There also a panic button upstairs but I can live without that.

Anyone have any comments and/or alarm company recommendations? I just want to get the alarm functioning again.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Did you get any display back on the keypad after you disconnected the battery?
    It could be a dead battery was dragging the system down.
    After that it may be a software issue that could be rectified by a fresh power up or maybe a default.
    They are the simple options . After that it could be a faulty keypad or panel.
    What make is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

KoolKid wrote: »
    Did you get any display back on the keypad after you disconnected the battery?
    It could be a dead battery was dragging the system down.
    After that it may be a software issue that could be rectified by a fresh power up or maybe a default.
    They are the simple options . After that it could be a faulty keypad or panel.
    What make is it?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

No, there was no display after disconnection.

Would a dead battery stop the system working? I assumed it was just there in the event of a power cut.

There doesn't seem to be any make on the keypad or the housing unit (if thats what it's called). The battery has no print on it but looks very like this one...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A dead battery can bring down the panel as it draws more and more power from the panel.
    Try power the system back up with the battery disconnected.

Try power the system back up with the battery disconnected.

I've no idea how to do this! The only interactive part of the system I can see is the powerless keypad.

Looks like I need someone to call out, any recommendations? I live in Dublin 24.

Where did you turn off the mains power from?

• Advertisement

Where did you turn off the mains power from?

I turned the power off at the fuseboard. Left the tripswitch off for the alarm for a while, but knocked it back on. Readout still dead though.

Hopefully something simple like the keypad fuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Advertisement