Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 vs Kindle Fire HD

• 10-09-2012 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Which Tablet would you go for?

Both around the same price range.

Amazon claiming great things about the new Kindle Fire HD.

About to put a tablet on my Xmas shopping list, I have a Kindle for reading e-books, seems like a good solid reliable device, tempted by the Fire Hd, but have heard very good things about the Nexus as well.

What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Is the nexus 7 decent for reading books/pdfs on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I remember the verge running an article on the subject. They found that while the kindle fire device was very good, the software really let it down. It was lagging and limited.

Based on this information I would tend to go for the nexus 7 tablet. You really need to see both to make an informed decision. Also don't forget that there will be other tablets coming out soon with more features and more processor power before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

swingking wrote: »
    Also don't forget that there will be other tablets coming out soon with more features and more processor power before Christmas.
    Yep It will be interesting to see what Windows 8 tablets appear once Win8 is launched, lots of the current Android tablets should be able to run Win8 so there should be a wide selection of new tablets available running what should be a very stable OS.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is the nexus good for reading books on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 schlafshane

The N7 is generally great. I do a bit of reading on it alright, but in Ireland we have no access to the Play Books/Magazines/Movies Store. That will likely change at some stage, but it does mean you'll be downloading files elsewhere and moving them on or using dropbox or something, and then finding another app to read them. That should be easy enough on Android though.

Otherwise the N7 is amazing for the price (if you can get someone in the US to buy it and bring it over, it can work out at €160) and at a smaller size, easier to use more casually and frequently than an iPad. I'm very glad I got mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Is the nexus 7 decent for reading books/pdfs on?
    Is the nexus good for reading books on it?

Tablets are not ebook readers. If you want to read books, get a kindle/nook/sony reader/kobo etc.
    You can read books on most/all tablets, but they are not designed for this, and the screen will likely hurt your eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

get the kindle fire HD, but the bigger screen version. I have the original kindle fire and with a VERY straightforward root have the google play store on it and works perfectly. Bigger screen, better speakers and faster would be my only wants...and they are ALL addressed on kindle fire hd...and its great for reading on...unless you are wearing polarized sunglasses in the sun..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

The biggest problem with the fire in Ireland (at least unrooted) is the loss of the legal content you get on it in the US.

One of the Fire's best features IMHO is Prime's HD Movie/TV streaming and the Kindle lending library for $79/year or $39/year for students.

The Nexus 7 at least has some decent gaming potential, 720p screen for video playback and clean android.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im going to the us in november would i be better off just buying the nexus or kindle fire over there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

i have a nexus 7 and its savage have to say

so fast and smooth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Wally Jumblat

Love to hear from someone who is using a Kindle Fire (HD) here. How cobbled is it considering none of the amazon services it is configured to use by default are available here? Is it pretty much a brick unless you root it and install a custom ROM? What are ppl doing with them?

For anyone wondering why am I asking these questions, a bit of background (as I see it)

Amazon don't make money on their hardware. They see Kindles as conduits through which you will give amazon money and they will give you digital goods in return. Amazon sells a lot of digital goods : books (Kindle e-books), movies (Amazon instant video, lovefilm), music (Amazon MP3), android apps (Amazon App Store).

Of all of these above, only the e-books (and dedicated e-book readers) are available to Irish customers (and even those are the international editions). Has Amazon ever done any deal with a copyright holder to sell digitial content for the Irish market? I'm not aware of it. Does any expect the Fire to be on sale here anytime soon, if so, why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

mcgovern wrote: »
    Tablets are not ebook readers. If you want to read books, get a kindle/nook/sony reader/kobo etc.
    You can read books on most/all tablets, but they are not designed for this, and the screen will likely hurt your eyes.

Having had a kindle fire since US launch (typing on it now) I can say with upmost sincerity that this is complete and utter bollocks, with adjustable brightness reading in bed or in full sunshine for very long periods is not particulatly eye straining. Bloody autocorrect, now that's annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

My understanding is that the Kindle Fire is a multimedia device so just like the Nexus 7, it does not use the easy to read e-ink screen that the smaller black & white kindle Paperwhite uses.

If you just want to read books then get the Kindle Paperwhite (cheap & cheerful and better for reading) but if you want video, web browsing and apps then the Nexus 7 is better as it has full access to the Google app store. Nexus 7 doesnt do HDMI so you cant connect it to a TV like the Kindle fire but it is better for games and it now has multiple user accounts so you can share it with other people in your house without them seeing your bookmarks etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Where is the best place to pick up a Nexus 7 actually, either online or in-store? I'm trying to gauge the prices, obviously from the States would be great but I don't know anybody travelling back from there at the moment.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

What is availability for the 32gb nexus like in Ireland? Does HMV still have stock? How much does it go for?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Nexus7 is available to buy online from PCWorld here

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ASUS-Google-Nexus-7-Tablet-PC-32-GB/312277/2.9

They are also available in HMV but dont know what the stock levels are like!

Cheers :)

Advertisement