Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Build Check Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Most of the time when people plan to have two cards, they leave it 3 or 4 years and end up just buying a single card then. It's more often the case when you buy high end cards and don't feel any push to upgrade if nothing is limiting you.

I think it's a worthwhile option to have. If you want a more luxurious motherboard to back you up, you could go for the GD55, but if you're unsure, the G45 is not much difference in price from your basic Z77. Well, there's the PSU as well.

Think about it this way pcadvice-
    If you plan to add a second card inside two years, you'll be more likely to use crossfire.
    If you think it'll be longer (3, 4...), you'll probably end up swapping in a new card.

What kind of monitor is this powering? Plans for upgrading that or adding multiples?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭pcadvice

Monotype wrote: »
    Most of the time when people plan to have two cards, they leave it 3 or 4 years and end up just buying a single card then. It's more often the case when you buy high end cards and don't feel any push to upgrade if nothing is limiting you.

I think it's a worthwhile option to have. If you want a more luxurious motherboard to back you up, you could go for the GD55, but if you're unsure, the G45 is not much difference in price from your basic Z77. Well, there's the PSU as well.

Think about it this way pcadvice-
    If you plan to add a second card inside two years, you'll be more likely to use crossfire.
    If you think it'll be longer (3, 4...), you'll probably end up swapping in a new card.

What kind of monitor is this powering? Plans for upgrading that or adding multiples?

providing all goes well i wont be upgrading gpu inside 2 years, samsung 24" bx2431 1080p full hd 1920 x 1080. for a cooler i saw the thermalight hr-02 macho being recommeneded but thats not available it seems or atleast i cant find it, what would you go for?

The mugen 3's a good cooler. Hard enough to install but people say that the macho is even harder.
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/Intel+AMD/49134/Scythe+Mugen+3%2C+für+alle+Sockel+geeignet.article

If you want to make your life a bit easier, you could get the freezer 13 CO.
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/Intel+AMD/49256/ARCTIC+COOLING+Freezer+13+CO(Sockel+775+1155+1156+1366+754+939+AM2+AM2+%2B+AM3+AM3%2B+FM1).article

If it's just the one monitor that you're sticking with then I see a 7950 lasting a long time. I don't think that there's anything close that'll really challenge that at your resolution. I don't think we're expecting anything that'll make unholy demands on a system although I think they're ramping things up in Crysis 3 in comparison to Crysis 2.

ok thanks m8, i saw your comment on another post re WD having longer warranty for hdd. the only 1 i could find is out of stock

• Advertisement

i was looking at WD Caviar Blue 1TB but for the sake of a few euro 2TB was suggested and the 1 in my list was what we found, thats a green you linked though

WD don't sell 2TB blue drives. Not now, at least.

oh right so the green is an older model? that gpu is out of stock now aswell i noticed earlier

WD's colour codes:
    -Green for energy efficiency, lower RPM, less noise, slightly slower
    -Blue is mainstream desktop
    -Black are the high end desktop, five year warranty
    -Red are similar to green, built for NAS, 3 year warranty and slightly faster + more efficient than green.

In reality, green aren't that much more efficient, nor are they that slow as they will beat older drives. I'd still want a Blue drive as a boot one at least except that you already have an SSD, so speed doesn't matter as much. That Seagate that you linked in the first post looks like the most recent Seagate series, 7200.14, so it should be a fair bit faster than the WD green.

ok so i will stick with the listed hdd i guess, is the seagate i listed the equivalent of WD blue? what 7950 would you recommend? the 1 in the list is not available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

spix wrote: »

is this the Gigabyte Windforce HD7950?

pcadvice wrote: »
    is this the Gigabyte Windforce HD7950?

yep

Spend over €500 on our beloved hardwareversand and get €10 off with the code below.

VME87RV166

Also, new customers can use VHRUH92NV3 to get €5 off €100 euro or more purchases. Or AXF98H4XV8, for €5 off €50 euro or more. Again, new customers only.

are these still valid? i entered them and it did add them

are these still valid? i entered them and it did add them

The one for 10e off over 500 worked for me 2 days ago when I tried it.

Item|Price
    MSI Z77A-G45, Intel Z77, ATX, DDR3|€105.71
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€207.72
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL9|€37.37
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€50.14
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W|€68.06
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€94.86
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€89.26
    Samsung SH-222BB schwarz|€15.05
    Scythe Mugen 3, für alle Sockel geeignet|€33.89
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950, 3GB GDDR5, PCI-Express|€279.38
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1000.43

thanks to those that helped me with this, i finally hit the order button today on this reworked build :D i entered those 3 codes from the bargain alerts discussion thread and managed to get an extra €20 in total off 1 x 10 & 2 x 5

gonna be a nice system :) was the psu out of stock when you ordered or did you snag the last one? :P

gonna be a nice system :) was the psu out of stock when you ordered or did you snag the last one? :P

it was in stock when i ordered it was green, i was going to do a post asking if that meant i got it or not

Item|Price
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC 950M, 3GB GDDR5, full retail|€307.22
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€326.21

is back in stock should i look to get this card instead?

edit: i just checked after doing this post and noticed the gigabyte has gone from being available on the 14th to 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Item|Price
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC 950M, 3GB GDDR5, full retail|€307.22
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€326.21

is back in stock should i look to get this card instead?
    If you're going to overclock, yeah.

• Advertisement

Eboggles wrote: »

i will be, have you dealt with them before? can i change the order with ease and without delaying the process? i assume i have to change the order before i pay them due to price difference?

i will be, have you dealt with them before? can i change the order with ease and without delaying the process? i assume i have to change the order before i pay them due to price difference?
    I've dealt with them in the past and they've been great, never had to change an order though so I'm not sure what to do in that regard. I'm sure if you send them an email they'll sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

you can just place a new order. it'll be less hassle than contacting them to change it. they'll cancel the older order after no money is received in 3 days anyway.

I'd get the sapphire myself.

ok thanks

What has overclocking got to do with it? :D

If the gigabyte date has pushed forward then try to change it, otherwise I'd stick with the gigabyte one, only 50mhz difference, has a better cooler and better rma service as they're based in the UK whereas sapphire are in hungary and rarely respond to emails.

What has overclocking got to do with it? :D

If the gigabyte date has pushed forward then try to change it, otherwise I'd stick with the gigabyte one, only 50mhz difference, has a better cooler and better rma service as they're based in the UK whereas sapphire are in hungary and rarely respond to emails.

had just sent you a pm re this:) yeah the gigabyte is gone from being available on 14th to now being available on 18th, ofc that could change again. i was under the impression that the sapphire had the better cooler, correct me if im mistaken as im no expert

Looking at 3 different reviews of the windforce they say a load temperature of 56/59/60

A few reviews with the sapphire dual x cooler (not exact card but same cooler) shows 60/66/67/68/68

They're both good coolers though.. probably little to no difference if you got both cards. Those places could have different test methods/ambient temperatures etc

ok thanks, yeah very true about the test conditions and ambient temp

Looking at 3 different reviews of the windforce they say a load temperature of 56/59/60

A few reviews with the sapphire dual x cooler (not exact card but same cooler) shows 60/66/67/68/68

They're both good coolers though.. probably little to no difference if you got both cards. Those places could have different test methods/ambient temperatures etc
    The sapphire is based on an 7970 PCB, and as a result it can overclock like a demon. Procrastastdy has his on 1100mhz, other people have reached 1250mhz plus...

• Advertisement

it does run a bit hotter though and in his post he said it was noisy at 1 stage

Advertisement