Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Build Check Please

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Eboggles wrote: »
    The sapphire is based on an 7970 PCB, and as a result it can overclock like a demon. Procrastastdy has his on 1100mhz, other people have reached 1250mhz plus...

Didn't know that, seems the windforce might be able to reach similar speeds though

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/gigabyte_hd7950_windforce_review,9.html

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭pcadvice

Item|Price
    MSI Z77A-G45, Intel Z77, ATX, DDR3|€105.71
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€207.72
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL9|€37.37
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€50.14
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W|€68.06
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€94.86
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€89.26
    Samsung SH-222BB schwarz|€15.05
    Scythe Mugen 3, für alle Sockel geeignet|€33.89
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950, 3GB GDDR5, PCI-Express|€279.38
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1000.43

€980.43 in total with 3 discount codes for €20 total. i left the order as is because i couldnt change the gpu for the discounted price, paid for with online banking. did it as urgent for an extra €12.70 as im kind of in a rush. thanks again for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

spix wrote: »
    Didn't know that, seems the windforce might be able to reach similar speeds though

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/gigabyte_hd7950_windforce_review,9.html

It's all about silicon lottery. Even stock ones can reach that if lucky, all that really matters now is if cooler will make a lot of noise, while keeping temperatures down.

I has asus gtx 570, which had fantastic temperatures on air cooling, but was crap overclocker. Temperatures were not a problem.

im a bit concerned over these comments i read on mmo champion http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1197367-Rate-the-rig!-%28A-last-look-before-purchase%29

Seagate Barracudas have a knack for failing, Seagate just is lower-end. My Western Digital HDDs are all fault free, my Seagate? It has faults. frown.png You don't want a faulty HDD, trust me.

I've heard more negative things about Seagate in general that lead me to believe they create less than top notch quality HDDs, so I'll stand by my initial statement.

Seagate has more issues than just a bad batch of drives. Their entire philosophy on drive reliability is horrid. Just ook at how they handle S.M.A.R.T reports. They design their drives around the fact that it's OK to have a large number of reallocated sectors and raw read errors. They don't even trip their own S.M.A.R.T thresholds until said numbers are waaaaay above what they should be.

Try to send one back after you notice a couple bad sectors or other errors? Not gonna happen since it's passing its own rigged S.M.A.R.T diagnostics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Sure s/he's got an agility 3 which has been through a rougher time than Seagate in recent years. It's nearly down to a duopoly with Seagate and Western Digital now with the hard drives. Neither of them are super-reliable or horrible. Speeds of current drives are close too. All things being equal, I would go for Western Digital in general - the reason being is that the warranty is two years while Seagate only have one. I don't even think that 2 years is really enough. It doesn't inspire much confidence in the hard drives when the manufacturers themselves don't stand by them. Hard drives are one of the most likely components to fail in a PC and also one of the most valuable from the point of view of keeping your data safe.

The best defence is to backup all your important files.

• Advertisement

thats true even 2 years is pretty short to stand over an item really

Item|Price
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950, 3GB GDDR5, PCI-Express|€293.04
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€312.03

up until about 20mins ago it was going to be in stock tomorrow but now its Delivery late, new date requested.

Item|Price
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC 950M, 3GB GDDR5, full retail|€307.22
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€326.21

was in stock but now ready for dispatch from 2012-09-19 which ofc could also be delayed. i didnt really want to change the gpu prior to the gigabyte being delayed as i didnt want to do anything that might delay the order but then ofc had the payment issue which i have been told is now sorted. if they posted my pc tomorrow tuesday would i have it for friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

pcadvice wrote: »
    Item|Price
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950, 3GB GDDR5, PCI-Express|€293.04
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€312.03
    up until about 20mins ago it was going to be in stock tomorrow but now its Delivery late, new date requested.

Damn that's unlucky :( If it was posted today there's a chance you'd get it Friday yes. Mine was sent Wednesday and got it Monday.

Sapphire has now been changed to Delivery late, new date requested, what kind of an outfit are these guys? not very good impression so far thats for sure, also 24hrs later now and still no date listed for the gigabyte

• Advertisement

just came home from buying wow mists of pandaria and said i would check status for both 7950's as both were due in on 25th, after already being delayed once both cards were now delivery late, new date requested so i was fuming:mad:. then i logged in and it seems they arrived early and are out of stock again.
    2012-9-24 at 21:05 The goods were dispatched. - 2 package(s)
    looks like i can call off the air strike on germany:D:):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Phew. Good luck with the build.

Advertisement