Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eggs glut, ideas?

Options
  • 10-09-2012 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

We have a lot of eggs just now and while its lovely to be able to give some away to friends and family, would also like to get some ideas of what to do with them to freeze or preserve for later? In particular, savoury ideas would be appreciated! Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Pickled eggs?

Eggs can also be frozen, I have frozen beaten eggs before and made scrambled eggs at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I usually make carbonara when I've loads of eggs or quiche

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I used to keep chickens, and suffered from egg gluts too :) The easiest way to use them up, I found, was to make crustless quiches (crustless because I eat low carb, feel free to add a crust if you want to). Simple recipe:

4 eggs
    225ml cream
    Handful of grated cheese

Mix that lot together, then add your filling of choice - chopped ham, or chopped green peppers and chilli, or maybe smoked salmon and (steamed) broccoli, or mushrooms sautéed in a bit of butter - whatever you like, really. Stir it into the egg mix, pour into a shallow oven proof dish, bake at 180 degrees for around 40 mins, or until it no longer wobbles in the middle.

Very handy as breakfast on the go, cut into slices!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Thanks for the replies - I've never frozen beaten egg, so might give that a go! We certainly eat a lot of carbonara, probably a bit too much meringue, sponge etc., which is why I'm wondering if there is something I can make that can be frozen for future use, when the supply has reduced....

Like the idea of the crustless quiche...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you were freezing them you could fill up ice cube bags so you have handy portion sizes, and not just a big clump of frozen liquid egg. This goes for any sauce of course, as long as it can flow into the bags easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Crêpes. 4 eggs in the batter and one (with ham and cheese) on top of each.

Advertisement