Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about switching from UPC to Eircomm.

• 10-09-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy ya'll.

I am moving into a house in a housing estate next month that (sadly) UPC do not service for broadband and phone. I can keep them for the telly, that is all. I am thinking of going with Eircom for their broadband/landline phone bundle. The price is decent enough (45 smackers or thereabouts) and there are no installation charges or fees.

When I signed up for UPC last year, I called the company directly. They sent me out my equipment in the post, I plugged it in and everything worked tickey boo. I was kicking myself later on when I saw signs in DIY electrical and O2 shops advertising great deals such as free notebook computers or in store gift vouchers for 250 euros if you signed up for UPC service in the shop itself. However, I think that you had to pay an installation charge whether you needed a tech to come out and install service or not.

Does anyone know if Eircom have any promos going on like that? I can't say that I have seen any, but then again I have not really been looking.

Eircom have said that they can not offer me their high speed fibre broadband in the that area, just the 15 meg basic service. I am a bit of a tech retard. Will 15 meg be ok for connecting just one lap top to the internet? I do spend a lot of time on the internet (in forums such as this one for example) for my job. However, I do not do any downloading of movies/tv shows/music etc etc which I believe can be a problem re capacity. Surfing speed does matter to me, but not download speed, but its all inter related isn't it?

The house has never had Eircomm service. It did have UPC in the past, but not recently. The former tenant had Sky. Will it be an issue having both services with the same cabling or will new stuff have to be installed/wired for Eircom, or can we just piggy back off what is there for Sky?

Thanks for any advice offered.

(Mods. I looked for a forum covering broadband/phone service, but couldn't find one. Feel free to move this if it belongs elsewhere.)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Think this belongs in Broadband really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agreed. Can you move it for me please? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Some places did a deal for signing up for eircom broadband, think it was PC world.

Advertisement