Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissertation Binding

Options
  • 10-09-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

The dissertation guidelines state that I need to hand in two soft bound copies of my dissertation.

Does it matter what type? Can it be either gum bound or spiral bound? What's best?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

LilyPool wrote: »
    Hi,

The dissertation guidelines state that I need to hand in two soft bound copies of my dissertation.

Does it matter what type? Can it be either gum bound or spiral bound? What's best?

Thanks. :)

How long is your thesis? I find from personal experience that very long theses (PhDs and so on) don't tend to bind very well in spiral binding, as eventually the bottom or top of the pages start to come away from the spirals with repeated opening and closing of the pages. Heat-bound glue seems to be better for longer theses, but that's purely from personal experience. If it's a shorter Master's thesis then spiral would be my preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭LilyPool

Thanks for your reply! It's a MA thesis - About 50/60 pages. I take it a spiral binding would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

LilyPool wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply! It's a MA thesis - About 50/60 pages. I take it a spiral binding would be better?

Ah ok, my undergraduate thesis was about that long, and I got it spiral-bound. If there's no direction given in your course handbook then choose whichever method you prefer; I think spiral-bound is usually cheaper? With that number of pages it should be secure. Some friends preferred heat-binding as they thought it looked neater, but if there's no specific instructions given then choose whichever you prefer the look of, or is more economical.

Advertisement